LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 389
0 members and 389 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #4996
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Yeah, lots of them, but I assume you mean among "white" people in the west.
Well, I think I meant of peoples that I encounter. I think most of you had way deeper schooling is social sciences than I did. I took Thermodynamics IV instead of Sociology 400. That's why I was curious about what the guy was saying, not supporting it, or whoever he is- just wondering.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #4997
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Well, I think I meant of peoples that I encounter. I think most of you had way deeper schooling is social sciences than I did. I took Thermodynamics IV instead of Sociology 400. That's why I was curious about what the guy was saying, not supporting it, or whoever he is- just wondering.
You might actually enjoy the Mismeasure of Man, Stephen Jay Gould's book responding to Murray. Don't read the whole thing, it gets repetitive, but the first hundred pages will give you his thinking and the basic history of racial pseudo-science.

Much of the discussion is more about what good scientific reasoning is, and how social science types screw it up by not understanding basic logical and scientific concepts. And how their screw ups then work their way into general discourse.

Gould wrote before the big breaks from sequencing the genome, someone needs to do an update with all the added data (which generally - surprise! surprise! - bore out what the real scientist was saying).
Old 01-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #4998
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Nothing that Stephens said is particularly new. See, e.g., this New York magazine article about a similar kerfuffle fifteen years ago, with more about the past of it. The reaction to his piece from most people was less about the specific content and more about Stephens' decision to write that column now, at a time when anti-Semitic attacks are coming more frequently. I take a familiarity with these ideas and the reactions to them as part of the landscape, perhaps not because I took sociology classes instead of thermodynamics (although I read Pynchon!), but rather because I grew up with a Jewish parent and siblings.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #4999
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
You might actually enjoy the Mismeasure of Man, Stephen Jay Gould's book responding to Murray. Don't read the whole thing, it gets repetitive, but the first hundred pages will give you his thinking and the basic history of racial pseudo-science.

Much of the discussion is more about what good scientific reasoning is, and how social science types screw it up by not understanding basic logical and scientific concepts. And how their screw ups then work their way into general discourse.

Gould wrote before the big breaks from sequencing the genome, someone needs to do an update with all the added data (which generally - surprise! surprise! - bore out what the real scientist was saying).
Maybe the big idea in that book, which is great, is that "intelligence" is not a single thing susceptible to measurement with a single metric, and that when scientists purport to measure "intelligence" they are measuring some subset of it that they particularly value for cultural reasons.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #5000
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Maybe the big idea in that book, which is great, is that "intelligence" is not a single thing susceptible to measurement with a single metric, and that when scientists purport to measure "intelligence" they are measuring some subset of it that they particularly value for cultural reasons.
TrifeKta!
Old 01-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #5001
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Don't go drawing too much from 23 and me. There are folks in my wife's family who test 100% Irish whose kids only test 40% Irish.
You may also find out grandad had an affair long ago while away on business. And some relatives will not think this is the delightful news you do.

My results get updated every year. I'd pretty consistently been between Ireland/England/Scotland and Scnadanavia (1/3) and Germany/Poland/Eastern Europe/Russia (2/3). But the most recent one is now saying I'm a lot more German than any results had stated before. And the Norway/Sweden portion was shifted to most prominently include Finland.

I'm beginning to think that other than linking you to people sharing exact DNA matches, these tests are bullshit.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #5002
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Agreed. That's the 800 lb gorilla in this conversation. Bunch of geeks come up with a test they say measures objective intelligence. But who selects the measurements that make up this objective assessment? That same star chamber of geeks.

Who selects the Nobel winner? How objective are their criteria?

I can look at the B student with street smarts and the A student without them and tell you the latter is technically probably smarter. But I can also tell you the former is probably going to do a hell of a lot better in life. So what measure should we use? Who can think best in the abstract? (As this is a metric measuring an ability of dubious value relative to many others needed to succeed, might it be inherently flawed?) Or instead, who has the mix of qualities that renders her most likely to succeed in her endeavors and able to undertake the broadest number of endeavors?
Old 01-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #5003
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Good summary of that key point.

The book I recommend most often on the whole topic of intelligence is "Proust and the Squid", which isn't part of the whole Murray/Gould polemic but instead an attempt to actually use the science involve to help people read. It's written by a woman steeped in the science but intended for nonscientists.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #5004
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Who selects the Nobel winner?
Swedes.

Quote:
How objective are their criteria?
Well, the Swedes are near the top of the list, so they have to be accurate, right?
Old 01-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #5005
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Agreed. That's the 800 lb gorilla in this conversation. Bunch of geeks come up with a test they say measures objective intelligence. But who selects the measurements that make up this objective assessment? That same star chamber of geeks.

Who selects the Nobel winner? How objective are their criteria?

I can look at the B student with street smarts and the A student without them and tell you the latter is technically probably smarter. But I can also tell you the former is probably going to do a hell of a lot better in life. So what measure should we use? Who can think best in the abstract? (As this is a metric measuring an ability of dubious value relative to many others needed to succeed, might it be inherently flawed?) Or instead, who has the mix of qualities that renders her most likely to succeed in her endeavors and able to undertake the broadest number of endeavors?
There are no "objective" criteria. "Intelligence" is a social construct.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #5006
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
There are no "objective" criteria. "Intelligence" is a social construct.
Wait, this has to mean that ... stupidity is too? Right?

Sebby, you're off the hook for '16.