LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 135
0 members and 135 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:49 PM   #721
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
A few posts ago, you said, "There's a semantic bridge you're attempting to cross which no one ever will." Do you really not understand how people like the three of us help perpetuate racial inequality or are you just bristling at the semantics of calling that "racism." Usually, your schtick is, you are as woke as the next guy about how society is, but you refuse to call anyone "racist" if you can't prove that they are consciously and intentionally bigoted. Is it just a semantic bridge, or do you have a different view of society? Which is it?
There’s institutional racism which is a combination of endless factors, to which participants often don’t have a clue they’re contributing. Calling people racist for living within that system is meaningless, as it necessarily means everyone is a racist.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #722
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
A few posts ago, you said, "There's a semantic bridge you're attempting to cross which no one ever will." Do you really not understand how people like the three of us help perpetuate racial inequality or are you just bristling at the semantics of calling that "racism." Usually, your schtick is, you are as woke as the next guy about how society is, but you refuse to call anyone "racist" if you can't prove that they are consciously and intentionally bigoted. Is it just a semantic bridge, or do you have a different view of society? Which is it?
Everyone remember when Ty promised he was all done engaging in long threads with Sebby talking past each other? Those were the days.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #723
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
And I want an answer to my question, and a pony, neither or which it appears I will get.

I worked in the government for a while. When I did, I was involved in hiring. There was a process and I played my little part in it, and I'd like to think my input was better than average, but it's a process that historically resulting in a pretty white workforce in my agency, and I didn't do anything to change that. You can characterize that as an act or as an omission, and you can bicker about my state of mind, but at the end of the day you have an institution which has pretty much always hired fewer ethnic minorities than it should, and I played my part in perpetuating that.

OK, now you answer my questions.
That’s the strongest example? Well, I was married in a church despite knowing the organization was involved in widespread child abuse. I am therefore an accomplice to both pedophilia and criminal cover-up of it.

I don’t think I can call you a racist. The terms that fit are negligent or apathetic. You did nothing where you feel you should have done something.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #724
Pretty Little Flower

Re: Downward Departures for Gout

Quote:
I get that you have a distrust of prosecutors and a sympathy for the little guy. Manafort is the furthest thing from a little guy, though. He made many of his millions installing a kleptocrat and Russian tool in Ukraine, a man who murdered dissenters before he was overthrown. If you're going to sympathize with people oppressed by the criminal justice system, is there room in your heart for the people who were oppressed by Viktor Yanukovych? If you want to find something in this story that looks like the Empire, turn your eyes to Ukraine. Manafort is no Skywalker, dude.
So yes or no on the shirt? If yes, hit me up in my DMs with size and color preference.

I am not sorry.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #725
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I want to know how you think you, me, or Hank perpetuate racism.
Well, for one, you push back on every single instance of racism that gets discussed here. You've argued that length against the notion of white fragility.

Changing bias, if I recall you were appalled about the suggestion that dudes should take a step back and let women lead.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #726
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
There’s institutional racism which is a combination of endless factors, to which participants often don’t have a clue they’re contributing. Calling people racist for living within that system is meaningless, as it necessarily means everyone is a racist.
You're so close to getting it here...
Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #727
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
You're so close to getting it here...
The children born in the US during the typing of this sentence: Racists, or not?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #728
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Many of us on this board have said that pretty much everyone is racist. Which gets back to the fact that we use the word differently than you do.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 03-14-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #729
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
That’s the strongest example?
No. You didn't ask for the strongest example.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #730
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
So yes or no on the shirt? If yes, hit me up in my DMs with size and color preference.
Have you seen the videos from when Yanukovych was overthrown and people were checking out his compound? Crazy stuff.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #731
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Many of us on this board have said that pretty much everyone is racist. Which gets back to the fact that we use the word differently than you do.
You realize in a debate where we adhered to proper use of language, you’d lose.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #732
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
No. You didn't ask for the strongest example.
I’d assume one would lead with his strong foot. My bad.

I don’t think you have many compelling examples.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #733
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Well, for one, you push back on every single instance of racism that gets discussed here. You've argued that length against the notion of white fragility.

Changing bias, if I recall you were appalled about the suggestion that dudes should take a step back and let women lead.
So if I argue against a charge, I’m guilty of it?

I’ve defended money launderers. Should I be indicted for money laundering?

I’ve argued against criticisms against Omar. Am I an anti-Semite?

ETA: By the way, the kids born in the US during this exchange: Racists or not?

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 03-14-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #734
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I'd ask if you have Ty on ignore but you're responding to his post. I think it is clear Ty would like to order a shirt of color, but you better just put him down for a white one.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #735
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I’d assume one would lead with his strong foot. My bad.

I don’t think you have many compelling examples.
So Sunday I had the pleasure of driving my son to the neighborhood in which his flop house exists. It was my first time in the neighborhood. It was vibrant 15 years ago. Chaldean town.

But driving to it Sunday, the streets were more and more abandoned buildings. Much of Detroit is having the gentrification that Brooklyn "enjoys," but not this neighborhood.

I dropped him off at 3 in the afternoon, half way down the block from a liquor store. Liquor stores are the only open businesses in much of the beat parts of Detroit. My son looks/is the part of someone who lives there. I'm not. My car isn't.

A man in front of the liquor store was staring at me as I was helping my son get his stuff out of my car. I noticed and was nervous. He was black. But he was also my age. He wasn't dangerous. He might ask me for a dollar, but he wasn't going to rob me. But I was nervous. A white rummy I'm pretty sure would not have put me on edge.

I walk by black people on normal sidewalks without thinking. Of the 10 people in life I'm closest to right now, 3 are black.

But there is a fear that saddens me when I'm in a position that could lead to danger. And that is harmful to black men generally. I try to be mindful of this fear and factor it into my initial thoughts re stuff. But that requires I acknowledge such bias might pop up.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 03-14-2019 at 05:29 PM..
Closed Thread