LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Chicago

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 139
0 members and 139 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #526
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Kitchen Remodeling

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
I've had known a fair number of kitchen remodelers to find out that standard sizes have changed slightly, and if the floor is built around the replaced appliances (instead of running underneath, and still being in OK shape underneath), finding that they ended up having to do stuff to the floor.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind.
The appliances are newer than the kitchen. They are actually only about 5 years old, but are cheap and white.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #527
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

travel tips

Quote:
Originally posted by taxwonk
Quartino is a new Italian place that specializes in small plates. They cure their own prosciutto and salami, and they make a plot of risottos. They are also supposed to have an extensive selection of Italian wines.

Custom House is a steakhouse opened recently by Sean McClain, the chef behind Spring. It's supposed to be very good.

Vermilion is an Indian fusion restaurant that is one of the best places I've eaten at in a while.

Of course, you'll want to indulge in a nice cold martini with an aging hipster doofus at Encore, a delightful little cocktail joint in the heart of the Loop.

Drop me a line, Skirt-boy.
I'm still around too. Just not very talkative lately.
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #528
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

K&E Bonus news

Over on the other boards this is the talk of the year: http://www.infirmation.com/bboard/cl...?msg_id=0035YN

Think there will be much spillover to other firms?
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #529
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

K&E Bonus news

Quote:
Originally posted by notcasesensitive
Over on the other boards this is the talk of the year: http://www.infirmation.com/bboard/cl...?msg_id=0035YN

Think there will be much spillover to other firms?
Nope. Especially given that they (a) are switching their bonus year, and (b) have PPP about twice any big firm outside NYC. And the whole "paying the same bonus in all offices" has to be seen to be believed. K&E has a habit of saying one thing and doing something slightly different w/r/t bonuses.
Cletus Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #530
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

K&E Bonus news

Quote:
Originally posted by Cletus Miller
Nope. Especially given that they (a) are switching their bonus year, and (b) have PPP about twice any big firm outside NYC. And the whole "paying the same bonus in all offices" has to be seen to be believed. K&E has a habit of saying one thing and doing something slightly different w/r/t bonuses.
I assume you are excepting Latham & Watkins from your assertion in (b). I am very curious about how the K&E bonus structure plays out in non-Chicago/NY offices. If you see anything on that, could you point it out to me?

ETA: Hey, Aloha, I think you may need to revise the description of this board on the forums page. Unless it is some sort of prediction for the NFL playoffs or something.

Last edited by notcasesensitive; 12-19-2006 at 04:07 PM..
Old 12-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #531
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

K&E Bonus news

Quote:
I assume you are excepting Latham & Watkins from your assertion in (b). I am very curious about how the K&E bonus structure plays out in non-Chicago/NY offices. If you see anything on that, could you point it out to me?
Supposedly, it is the same in all offices this year--a first in recent memory (FYI, I'm not at K&E, but know many who are). I will let you know what I can find out about the truth of that.

As to PPP, I suspect that K&E is headed toward about $2.75mm this year--I don't pay that much attention, but thought that L&W was around $1.5mm, no?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #532
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

K&E Bonus news

Quote:
Supposedly, it is the same in all offices this year--a first in recent memory (FYI, I'm not at K&E, but know many who are). I will let you know what I can find out about the truth of that.

As to PPP, I suspect that K&E is headed toward about $2.75mm this year--I don't pay that much attention, but thought that L&W was around $1.5mm, no?
I don't know what L&W's ppp is, but I think it has been edging towards $2mm. I am surprised that K&E's is that high. Are they two-tiered? My impression has been that Sidley and Mayer Brown have tried to play ball with K&E on the associate compensation front in the past. Do you agree?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #533
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

K&E Bonus news

Quote:
I don't know what L&W's ppp is, but I think it has been edging towards $2mm. I am surprised that K&E's is that high. Are they two-tiered? My impression has been that Sidley and Mayer Brown have tried to play ball with K&E on the associate compensation front in the past. Do you agree?
Fairly long pm on related topics, too.

K&E is two-tiered, and dramatically so. There are 2-3 times as many non-share as share partners. The share partner comp range this year should be from just under a million to around $7mm.

Sidley and Mayer have been in the ballpark most of the time since the 2000 raises, but K&E raised the stakes last year and, apparently, again this year. From 2000-2004, Sidley and Mayer were generally ahead of K&E if you billed up to about 2200 or 2250 (depending on your class), but K&E pulled ahead as one billed more. Last year wasn't even too different from 00-04 on the low hours side.

If the reports on this year are to be believed (I don't give them full credit, yet), then K&E has demolished all released bonus numbers. However, I believe that there is NO CHANCE that a K&E Chicago associate rated with the class is getting a NYC bonus for billing 1800. They may be dealing with this by not rating anyone under 2000 (barring leave, etc.) "with the class", but K&E doesn't give $50k bonuses to 4th years billing 1825 (maybe in tax).
Old 12-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #534
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

travel tips

Quote:
Originally posted by taxwonk
Quartino is a new Italian place that specializes in small plates. They cure their own prosciutto and salami, and they make a plot of risottos. They are also supposed to have an extensive selection of Italian wines.

Custom House is a steakhouse opened recently by Sean McClain, the chef behind Spring. It's supposed to be very good.

Vermilion is an Indian fusion restaurant that is one of the best places I've eaten at in a while.

Of course, you'll want to indulge in a nice cold martini with an aging hipster doofus at Encore, a delightful little cocktail joint in the heart of the Loop.

Drop me a line, Skirt-boy.
Merci. w/c.

Penske_Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #535
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Bears!

Bearssssss....

Ditka....

Polish Sahsage....

Bearssssss....
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #536
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Bears!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand
Bearssssss....

Ditka....

Polish Sahsage....

Bearssssss....
I have lived in Chicago and Indy. thoughts on whom to root for?

Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #537
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

Bears!

Quote:
Originally posted by Penske_Account
I have lived in Chicago and Indy. thoughts on whom to root for?
How do you feel about Baltimore?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #538
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Bears!

Quote:
How do you feel about Baltimore?
I attended the Orioles opening day game for 7 years in a row in the mid/late 80s/early 90s

I also like me the crab cakes.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #539
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

Bears!

Quote:
Originally posted by Penske_Account
I attended the Orioles opening day game for 7 years in a row in the mid/late 80s/early 90s

I also like me the crab cakes.
Then definitely the Bears. If you like Bal'more, there's no way you can root for the Colts.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #540
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Bears!

Quote:
Then definitely the Bears. If you like Bal'more, there's no way you can root for the Colts.

Hmmm. Perhaps you are correct, indeed.

Do the Irsays still own the Colts?

Thanks and best regards,

P