LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Texas

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 371
0 members and 371 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:50 PM   #46
TexLex

I thought this was a very good article - esp for new lawyers:

A Good Lawyer: Secrets Good Lawyers [and their best clients] Already Know

"1. Not everything requires a Supreme Court brief.

2. Try not to equivocate.

3. Never underestimate your opponent.

4. Don’t make idle threats, it undermines your credibility.

5. Don’t embarrass your opponent............................"
Old 06-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #47
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

DiverseWorks event

I don't know if anyone is interested, but DiverseWorks in Houston is having their second annual summer luck of the draw art auction a week from today, June 18. $100 gets you in the door, wine and beer, and you get a number for the drawing. Your number gets picked, you go to the wall, pick out your art, and take it home. I think that there are about 200 pieces of art that have been donated so far, and DiverseWorks events are always a lot of fun. It's an inexpensive way to add to an art collection, plus the money goes to an excellent organization.

http://www.diverseworks.org/programs/spec_auction.html
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:19 PM   #48
TexLex

Yes, I changed the name of the thread because, well because I can. And for those interested, check out : http://www.mosquitofestival.com/

And on a serious, and more relevant, note...

Are we seeing the jobs situation pick up at all out there? I've noticed a few more job postings than we've had for a while and more people talking about hiring (mostly small firms) than they have in some time - I'm tempted to feel optimistic, but what's going on in your neck of the woods? Comments?

-TL

edited to add that I am in Houston, if you did not know this.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #49
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
Yes, I changed the name of the thread because, well because I can. And for those interested, check out : http://www.mosquitofestival.com/

And on a serious, and more relevant, note...

Are we seeing the jobs situation pick up at all out there? I've noticed a few more job postings than we've had for a while and more people talking about hiring (mostly small firms) than they have in some time - I'm tempted to feel optimistic, but what's going on in your neck of the woods? Comments?

-TL
SO (corp-type) was laid off last year, and is finally getting attractive leads, calls from headhunters, and interviews with places em's actually interested in. However, I've read on the other board rumblings of layoffs at Hayboo. I can't imagine that they're unique. From a Houston perspective, I am still concerned about V&E fallout, energy sector troubles, etc., although WGM seems busy (not necessarily the result of booming business in Houston). I guess I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:03 PM   #50
TexLex

Question Help!!!

Anyone heard of George T. Harris in Fort Worth? He's a solo.

Any info much appreciated.

-TL

edited to add that if anyone knows of an entry level (6mos good experience) litigation job opening in the FW area, please pm me. Small firm and gov't positions OK. (helping out a friend) TIA!
Old 06-21-2003, 09:06 AM   #51
orpheus
No Rank For You!

Post Arter Hadden dissolving?

Rumor is that, barring miracles, the entire firm is shutting doors as of the end of June. A rescue merger apparently was tanked by the Dallas partners, which seems odd because Dallas was probably the worst money-loser in the firm.

There was an article in the Recorder http://www.law.com/regionals/ca/ earlier this week, but I haven't seen anything else surface.

Edited to add that the link doesn't go to the article - if anyone has a better link, please post. -TL
orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 08:17 PM   #52
evenodds
prodigal poster

Brobeck Fallout Article from the NY Times

The Sunday Times had a very interesting article on the fallout from Brobeck's fall. It offers some areas of concern for GAs at other firms in the Death Pool.

The Unraveling of an Un-Law Firm
By JONATHAN D. GLATER

BROBECK, PHLEGER & HARRISON tried to be the un-law firm, young and hip instead of staid and boring.

With expansive offices in a downtown San Francisco office tower, it was not the kind of place where lawyers wore white shirts and striped ties. While young associates at other firms complained about endless hours, pushy partners and boring work, Brobeck, according to a former associate there, was often fun. And profitable: the firm's roughly 150 partners took home an average of $1.2 million each in 2000, and associates were paid wages as high as those offered at many older, powerhouse firms in New York.

Its clients, including companies like Cisco Systems and Compaq Computer, were ebullient, riding to fabulous wealth on the crest of the new Internet economy.
So when partners told employees in January that the firm would be closing, many of the roughly 450 lawyers and nearly 1,000 staff members there weren't just stunned. They felt betrayed.

They found that their firm had not paid administrative fees for its 401(k) plan, locking them out of their accounts for months. Many found themselves suddenly without health insurance. Some have been stuck with unreimbursed firm expenses. And many say they have not received information about any of these problems — let alone about how to deal with them — from their bosses.
Many former senior partners said they were embarrassed by the collapse of the firm and no longer wanted to have their names associated with it. Privately, they said they, too, were hurt badly financially by the firm's problems, which became acute when its debts became immediately payable as a result of the departure of a number of partners.

The collapse of any business can be devastating to employees. But the fallout from Brobeck's demise, which has already spawned a lawsuit by former employees, has exposed many of the resentments that are usually hidden in a law firm. Staff members like secretaries and computer technicians say they were treated much worse than the well-paid associates, and many Brobeck employees resent the hundreds of thousands of dollars that they believe the partners paid themselves even as the firm's prospects deteriorated.

Perhaps most striking is the way Brobeck's downward trajectory resembled that of any other company in trouble, even though the firm occasionally provided strategic advice to companies in financial trouble.

There are bitter parties on all sides and much slinging of blame.

Charles Bencomo, who worked in computer support in the firm's office in New York, said he was surprised to learn in mid-February that he could not withdraw funds from his 401(k). In early 2002, Brobeck stopped paying UMB Bank to administer the firm's plan, which held more than $160 million.

Employees knew the firm was having some trouble — it had gone through layoffs last year — but "for that to happen was pretty shocking," said Mr. Bencomo, who now works in computer support at another law firm, McDermott, Will & Emery. Many of Brobeck's employees were eventually able to pull money out of 401(k) accounts, and all should ultimately be able do so.

Mr. Bencomo said he was still bitter that the firm did not contribute a bonus of 5.5 percent of his salary to his 401(k) account, as it had in previous years. But at least he was able to find another job, he said.

"I was fortunate," Mr. Bencomo said. "I was able to land on my feet. But there are a lot of people who couldn't."

Full text: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/22/bu...22FIRM.html?th
evenodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:40 AM   #53
Austintatious
Moving on up

Brown McCarroll - Hilgers Merger

I have heard some that the transition for the Hilgers lawyers has been very rocky, and that at least one high profile woman partner from Hilgers has already jumped, and that women associates are floating resumes.

Can anyone confirm the Austin rumors?
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:59 AM   #54
evenodds
prodigal poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Austintatious
I have heard some that the transition for the Hilgers lawyers has been very rocky, and that at least one high profile woman partner from Hilgers has already jumped, and that women associates are floating resumes.

Can anyone confirm the Austin rumors?
Are we talking individual lawyers or whole groups?

And why just women?

Even(enquiring minds . . .)Odds
Old 06-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #55
Austintatious
Moving on up

Quote:
Originally posted by evenodds
Are we talking individual lawyers or whole groups?

And why just women?

Even(enquiring minds . . .)Odds
The rumor from very close sources is that Brown McCarroll only offered equity partnerships to the male partners, leaving the female partners out in the cold. That sent a chiling message to the female partners and associates, so they are now scrambling to join a more female-friendly firm.

Hilgers has an impressive health section, so that may be in danger.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:17 AM   #56
Austintatious
Moving on up

It now appears that the Hilgers female partners are splintering to different firms throughout Austin.

Could Brown McCarroll be such a bad place to work? Or did bad things happen during the negotiation that turned them off?
Old 06-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #57
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

V&E Lawsuit

Anyone have a copy of the discrimination lawsuit against V&E?Case number is H-03-2195, filed on the 20th, in the U.S. Dist. Ct., Southern Dist., Houston Division. Allegations include sexual harassment, race discrimination, constructive discharge and retaliation.

If so, could you email it to me at secchick@hotmail.com?

Mods, would there be a way to post it to the site? (Assuming that the suit is real and not a hoax)
SEC_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:13 PM   #58
evenodds
prodigal poster

V&E Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally posted by SEC_Chick
Anyone have a copy of the discrimination lawsuit against V&E?Case number is H-03-2195, filed on the 20th, in the U.S. Dist. Ct., Southern Dist., Houston Division. Allegations include sexual harassment, race discrimination, constructive discharge and retaliation.

If so, could you email it to me at secchick@hotmail.com?

Mods, would there be a way to post it to the site? (Assuming that the suit is real and not a hoax)
If you get it, we will find a way to do it.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:40 PM   #59
TexLex

Etiquette Question

Here's a question - I've had a potential client schedule two appointments and no-show for each - and did not call until later on each. She since left a message that she will be calling to reschedule. What is the most appropriate way to tell her I am not interested in her business?

a) Tell her I am no longer taking new clients because I'm too busy?

b) Tell her the truth - she's an inconsiderate loser?

c) Refer her to someone else (perhaps someone I'm not too fond of).

d) Send her a bill for the consultation fee for the no-show appointment(s) and hope I never hear from her again?

e) (?) ________________________
Old 06-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #60
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Etiquette Question

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
Here's a question - I've had a potential client schedule two appointments and no-show for each - and did not call until later on each. She since left a message that she will be calling to reschedule. What is the most appropriate way to tell her I am not interested in her business?

a) Tell her I am no longer taking new clients because I'm too busy?

b) Tell her the truth - she's an inconsiderate loser?

c) Refer her to someone else (perhaps someone I'm not too fond of).

d) Send her a bill for the consultation fee for the no-show appointment(s) and hope I never hear from her again?

e) (?) ________________________
d. with a letter telling her that you would be happy to speak to her, but that your time costs money and that you expect that she will pay your normal hourly rate for any consultation or appointment cancelled without notice. it likely tells her off, but politely and for a good reason, and allows you to tell her why you don't want her business in a businesslike way.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote