LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 150
0 members and 150 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #1456
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Or they really care about being free from compelled speech, which is consistent with the NIFLA case this term.
That's not answering my point, which is that the no one is compelling speech (in the sense that a Jehovah's Witness could be compelled to recite the Pledge) when an employee is represented by a union in contractual negotiations. The government requires some of its employees to cut their hair and wear uniforms, but that doesn't raise First Amendment problems either.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #1457
Not Bob

Says I “but Joe, you’re ten years dead.”

Quote:
But if you are in a non Right to Work state, you don't have the option of opting out, no?

If every state were Right to Work, then this wouldn't be an issue. The whole issue is people being compelled to be represented by the union.
Even in what is referred to as a Not Right to Work state, workers are only “compelled” to be represented by a union in collective bargaining. Since the Supreme Court’s Beck decision in 1988, unions cannot force workers to fund the unions political activities.

Not (dad was a proud union man) Bob

Last edited by Not Bob; 06-28-2018 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Two typos? Sheesh.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #1458
Not Bob

There is power in a factory, power in the land.

Quote:
But if you are in a non Right to Work state, you don't have the option of opting out, no?

If every state were Right to Work, then this wouldn't be an issue. The whole issue is people being compelled to be represented by the union.
I don’t normally respond to the same post twice, SEC, but dont you find it interesting that nearly all of the so-called Right to Work states are in the South? Is that just a coincidence?

No. It is not. They were instituted during the New Deal out of a toxic blend of racisim and anti-Semitism. We can’t let the Bolshivek Jews have control of our factories, and God help the white people who might have to call a Negro his “brother” (a common term for fellow union members).
Old 06-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #1459
Not Bob

When der Fuehrer says we is de master race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
So yesterday a leading Conservative public intellectual called for vigilantes to shoot reporters. Today there was a mass shooting at a newspaper in Annapolis.

But, see, civility has won because I didn't call either the Conservative intellectual or the shooter a nasty name.
“Avoid unkind generalizations like equating the jailing of ethnic minorities with some malevolent form of fascism.”

From Tips For Staying Civil While Debating Child Prisons.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #1460
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
That's not answering my point, which is that the no one is compelling speech (in the sense that a Jehovah's Witness could be compelled to recite the Pledge) when an employee is represented by a union in contractual negotiations. The government requires some of its employees to cut their hair and wear uniforms, but that doesn't raise First Amendment problems either.
The military wanting a common look is the same as a public entity needs to compel paying union fees:really? Jesus fuck this place has slipped.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #1461
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
The military wanting a common look is the same as a public entity needs to compel paying union fees:really?
Of course it isn't. But everyone gets that when you take a job, your employer compels you to do things, even if it's the government, and we don't pretend that those things raise First Amendment issues because we don't like them for other reasons.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #1462
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Of course it isn't. But everyone gets that when you take a job, your employer compels you to do things, even if it's the government, and we don't pretend that those things raise First Amendment issues because we don't like them for other reasons.
I worked in a government job with a union. We had to be represented, but did not need to pay dues. Why is this case news?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #1463
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I worked in a government job with a union. We had to be represented, but did not need to pay dues. Why is this case news?
Because people who work for unions don't usually want to work for free.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #1464
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Because people who work for unions don't usually want to work for free.
Neither do The employees. You okay? Head get bumped recently?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #1465
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Civility

Quote:
So yesterday a leading Conservative public intellectual called for vigilantes to shoot reporters. Today there was a mass shooting at a newspaper in Annapolis.

But, see, civility has won because I didn't call either the Conservative intellectual or the shooter a nasty name.
If I had jumped to the conclusion that the shooting was politically motivated, I think I would feel a bit silly about not waiting for the facts. But only Republicans get shot up at a baseball field or have decapitated animal carcasses left at their front door. So I'm sure it's fine.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:40 AM   #1466
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
If I had jumped to the conclusion that the shooting was politically motivated, I think I would feel a bit silly about not waiting for the facts. But only Republicans get shot up at a baseball field or have decapitated animal carcasses left at their front door. So I'm sure it's fine.
You know that is not true of course. I need only mention Gabby Giffords.

Back when I worked for the Democratic Party in Boston, we had bomb scares almost every week in our offices. We became pretty inured to them, even though there were a few violent incidents involving different campaign or elected officials at the time. I always assumed it was just part of the turf.

There was some affair where my Republican counterparts were present and I cracked a joke about it, and none of them laughed. Talking to my direct counterpart afterwards (he was actually more high visibility than me because he was about to take a turn as the sacrificial lamb running against Ted Kennedy), I learned they never had any, he thought the joke was out of left field. I do wonder how that conversation would go today, and what the relative level of threats are, but I suspect they are significantly higher in both cases.

Trump rallies picking out and attacking individual media members enable the crazy conservatives like Milo to ratchet it up, and there will be problems. We're lucky no one's been physically hurt so far. We still have another mass shooting to deal with, more gun violence in America.

On a different topic, the eliminate ICE crew does seem to have gone mainstream, what with the letter from ICE special agents calling for its elimination and Kirsten Gillibrand's statement on it. They are obviously an agency that needs to be brought under control, maybe eliminating them and handling those functions still needed under more competent agencies is the way to go.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 06-29-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Old 06-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #1467
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
For someone who is so aggrieved by liberal whining, you play the fragile, thin-skinned, victim-martyr quite persuasively.

I am not sorry.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #1468
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

On a different topic, the eliminate ICE crew does seem to have gone mainstream,
what does mainstream mean today?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #1469
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
maybe you missed it, but I have a question- you seem to think Trump getting to replace a justice is a good thing? Are you hoping roe is toast? I only ask because I think that makes you unique here- not looking to pick a fight, just fill in my scorecard.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #1470
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
what does mainstream mean today?
Point taken.

Hard to find the middle of the stream in this swamp.