LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > DC

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 218
0 members and 218 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:32 PM   #31
coup_d'skek

one big happy community

Quote:
Originally posted by Self Employed Fluffer
I personally wouldn't mind being sexually harassed by this one hot babe partner we have. Alas, I am unsure of how to best suggest this course of action her.
Frenchie would rather flirt with Burger than harras you.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #32
paigowprincess

More DC Gov't Incompetence

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
What is it with these people?

Washington Post article

Apparently the District has over $3m in child support that they've failed to distribute. They're remarkably efficient, however, at taking my money for any number of things. They seemed pretty efficient at taking child support payments as well, with an entire window dedicated solely to taking payments that then, evidently, just sat in the back room.

Yegads. Maybe paigs can send over her troops of short umbrella toters to poke out some eyes.
Thats a great plan. No deadbeat dad will be able to pass through the swarms of short little umbrella toters out in full force today. they have effectively blocked off the sidewalks bc they are lawless little dry people who dont know to stay to the right and let people pass. the deadbeats dont have a chance.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #33
sebastian_dangerfield

More DC Gov't Incompetence

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
Thats a great plan. No deadbeat dad will be able to pass through the swarms of short little umbrella toters out in full force today. they have effectively blocked off the sidewalks bc they are lawless little dry people who dont know to stay to the right and let people pass. the deadbeats dont have a chance.
Ahem...

PP - This is fascinating, but don't you have some unfinished business back on the Fashion board?

S(glad to help)D
Old 04-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #34
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Tractor Guy in Pond

Well, Congress finally had a crack at berating the handling of the tractor guy at a hearing on DC "Homeland Security"
Washington Post article

Of course, since it's Congress, the members said they should "federalize" area traffic management, conveniently forgetting that it was the national park police who were leading the response to the incident.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:10 AM   #35
On n'a qu'une vie

Congressional road rage

The remark from Moran and the rest about having their commutes delayed, is classic. It reminds me of the time Congress tried to take away the close in parking spaces for Supreme Court justices at National.

If you want something done in this City, inconvenience a member of Congress (are you listening Paigow).
Old 04-11-2003, 11:30 AM   #36
former gov't

Congressional Road Rage

The FBI and ATF also were "instrumental" in assisting the park police - all feds.

I'm just waiting for "Tractor Guy: The Movie"
Old 04-11-2003, 04:40 PM   #37
On n'a qu'une vie

NLJ article on Unemployment

How does this report of life in NY compare to people's "friend's" experiences around here?

The Attorney, Unemployed

Matt Kelly
The National Law Journal
04-10-2003

Heard the one about the lawyer who couldn't find a job? No? Well, keep listening -- they're all over the place.

Ask Lee Feldshon, a 33-year-old entertainment lawyer who lives in New York. He graduated from Columbia University Law School in 1994, worked at New York's White & Case and several other well-established law firms in the 1990s, then landed a job as director of legal affairs for Madison Square Garden in 2001. He got laid off in 2002.

Feldshon has been looking for a full-time lawyer job ever since, 15 months and counting.

"I was very confident that I'd find a new job soon," he said. He bought a 150-page notebook to track his mailed-out resumes and follow-up phone calls. As he filled the pages with records of fruitless efforts, the reality of today's job market sank in.

[remainder deleted to comply with copyright laws; check your National Law Journal -- Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)]

Last edited by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.); 04-16-2003 at 04:38 PM..
Old 04-20-2003, 10:29 PM   #38
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

DC Taxes not so bad?

According to this Washington Post article. DC's taxes compare favorably at least to PG county (a typical GA locale), but can't beat Virginia.

Of course, a 400K house outside of DC is a lot bigger than on in DC.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:59 PM   #39
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Exclamation One Metro Center

Softer Washington Market Still Draws Interest
By TERRY PRISTIN

WASHINGTON -- Nearing completion in this city's East End, a rapidly developing area popular with large law firms, is a new high-end office building that has been grafted onto a Hecht's department store. The six-story white-and-tan building, known as One Metro Center, has a sky lobby and sits directly over the Metro Center subway hub.

What One Metro Center, at 701 13th Street NW, does not have is a roster of tenants. Ropes & Gray, a law firm, has signed a letter of intent for 40,000 square feet, and the newspaper publisher Knight Ridder has signed one for 25,000, but the rest of the building's 421,000 square feet has yet to be spoken for.

(remainder of article)
Old 04-24-2003, 11:35 AM   #40
Lexus Talionis

One Metro Center

The problem, apparently, is a lack of parking. There's talk of valet parking arrangements with nearby garages, but little or no parking in the building itself. If you Metro, the building is a Mecca. If you went to law school so you could have your very own Hummer, the location isn't very appealing.

It's too bad - I'd love to have a Hechts in the same building. Emergency client meeting? Run down to the Armani section, pick up a suit, and return it that afternoon after the meeting.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #41
robustpuppy

One Metro Center

Quote:
Originally posted by Lexus Talionis
The problem, apparently, is a lack of parking. There's talk of valet parking arrangements with nearby garages, but little or no parking in the building itself. If you Metro, the building is a Mecca. If you went to law school so you could have your very own Hummer, the location isn't very appealing.

It's too bad - I'd love to have a Hechts in the same building. Emergency client meeting? Run down to the Armani section, pick up a suit, and return it that afternoon after the meeting.
Hecht's has an Armani section? Is it near the Dockers?
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:56 PM   #42
paigowprincess

One Metro Center

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
Hecht's has an Armani section? Is it near the Dockers?
No,its right past the perfume bottle testerless perfume counter.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:25 PM   #43
robustpuppy

One Metro Center

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
No,its right past the perfume bottle testerless perfume counter.

Seriously? My brain cannot compute the concept of Hecht's and Armani. I hate Hecht's. But not as much as I hate Macy's.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:23 AM   #44
lawskirt

The Reality of Loans

I'm deciding between going to Temple, in Philly, with a half-scholarship or George Washington with $9000 a year in grants. I'm most interested in IP (not patent), government, or appellate work. I have no idea where I want to be when I graduate (either NY, Philly or DC) but know I don't want to spend the entirety of my life in Philly. I'm also going to be 31 when I graduate and don't know if I'll want to marry myself to BigLaw.
What are my monthly loan payments going to be like with either choice? And if I go to GW, is it possible to find jobs outside of BigLaw that'll pay the bills? How do jobs with the government pay? Or can I get to DC with a Temple degree?
Old 04-25-2003, 11:39 AM   #45
paigowprincess

The Reality of Loans

Quote:
Originally posted by lawskirt
I'm deciding between going to Temple, in Philly, with a half-scholarship or George Washington with $9000 a year in grants. I'm most interested in IP (not patent), government, or appellate work. I have no idea where I want to be when I graduate (either NY, Philly or DC) but know I don't want to spend the entirety of my life in Philly. I'm also going to be 31 when I graduate and don't know if I'll want to marry myself to BigLaw.
What are my monthly loan payments going to be like with either choice? And if I go to GW, is it possible to find jobs outside of BigLaw that'll pay the bills? How do jobs with the government pay? Or can I get to DC with a Temple degree?
THere are tons of non biglaw jobs in DC and they are competitive to get. Dont know how things will be in three years but the economcy has made govt work look like a nice safe harbor. Nonbiglaw is probably a tougher road to hoe in NYC given the COL there as well as the fact that public sector work is scarcer esp in IP. I dont know squat about Philly except that its a stop on the train between NYC and DC and I never wanted to get off there.

As for schools, I can safely say that I have met one Temple grad in my life and he taught my LSAT class in Manhattan. I have met plenty to GW people. Your job prospects, esp in DC, are much stronger with the GW degree IMHO. However, I can understand about wanting to save on the cash. A half ride at Temple is worth probably 12 to 14k??? Given that differential, you are talking nine to eighteen thou difference plus interest. I dont think that is enough of an incentive to take the risk of going to a regional school in a region you prob dont want to live in. You can defer loans forever also (the public ones anyway).

Good luck.