LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 142
0 members and 142 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

help wanted

I need a good paralegal, preferably with corporate/transactional skills, not litigation, for 3-6 months. Can be totally remote. Any of you law-firm types want to do a secondment?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-21-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: help wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I need a good paralegal, preferably with corporate/transactional skills, not litigation, for 3-6 months. Can be totally remote. Any of you law-firm types want to do a secondment?
Now you’re sorry you ran PPNYC off?
Old 08-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Never sue another lawyer for malpractice. You'd think "Don't shit in your nest" would be a basic rule, but in any city, there are three of four guys who can't get clients any other way who hold themselves out as guys who sue other lawyers. And almost every one of them is exactly the sort of shitty human being you'd expect.
I have a friend who is a lawyer malpractice lawyer. He's a super nice guy and I always have to remind myself what he does because it seems so different from his personality. I do see some pretty egregious stuff from lawyers from time to time, but nothing that I'd recommend him for. His stories are usually pretty jaw dropping.

I deal with the doctor malpractice lawyers a lot more often.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I have a friend who is a lawyer malpractice lawyer. He's a super nice guy and I always have to remind myself what he does because it seems so different from his personality. I do see some pretty egregious stuff from lawyers from time to time, but nothing that I'd recommend him for. His stories are usually pretty jaw dropping.

I deal with the doctor malpractice lawyers a lot more often.
Real, valid legal malpractice cases are rare. To prove one, plaintiff has to prove it'd have enjoyed a positive result but for the negligence (prove the claimant would have won its case, in an instance of alleged litigation malpractice). Usually difficult.

The guys who do it that I've encountered aren't terribly discerning. I think most have to take a high volume of cases, many dubious, to keep the lights on. The business model seems to be shaking down the law firm to see if it'll cough up a settlement and if not, then getting a sleazy expert to state that the claimant definitely would have won the case but for the alleged negligence. It's so speculative, except in real cut and dry instances (truly egregious failures) the expert is basically fictionalizing a future which probably would not have occurred.

I refuse to refer people who want to make legal malpractice claims. I've sold enough of my soul for money. I can't get into that sewer for a referral fee.

ETA: I'm already doomed to hell for having been involved in med mal work long ago.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #6
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Old 08-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
An important lesson in clearly defining the mission from the start and how easy it is for interests that benefit from mission creep to make it happen.

Did anyone honestly believe we could fix Afghanistan when we went in? If so, those people should be anywhere near decisions.

But you see how it happens in the press coverage of how the current situation might be bad for Biden and the Dems. We are finally engaged with reality and making hard choices. You might even call that leadership (and yes, the former guy was there, sorta, too).
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
On the plus side, this is a big improvement over our record in Iraq.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
An important lesson in clearly defining the mission from the start and how easy it is for interests that benefit from mission creep to make it happen.

Did anyone honestly believe we could fix Afghanistan when we went in? If so, those people should be anywhere near decisions.

But you see how it happens in the press coverage of how the current situation might be bad for Biden and the Dems. We are finally engaged with reality and making hard choices. You might even call that leadership (and yes, the former guy was there, sorta, too).
I do not recall anyone here saying we should not have gone in, and to me that is still a no-brainer. But in retrospect we supported guerrillas, not really people bound to govern. Still I think early on there was a sense that they could defend themselves eventually. And the hell the women experienced there then, and are again, is a hard thing not to try to change.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #10
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I do not recall anyone here saying we should not have gone in, and to me that is still a no-brainer. But in retrospect we supported guerrillas, not really people bound to govern. Still I think early on there was a sense that they could defend themselves eventually. And the hell the women experienced there then, and are again, is a hard thing not to try to change.
I did. Repeatedly. (If we only had a search function.)
Old 08-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #11
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I thought and think that we needed to go in to get Al Qaeda. We should have limited ourselves to that.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #12
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I can verify Less was anti-going in from the beginning. I was not, and I was wrong.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #13
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I thought and think that we needed to go in to get Al Qaeda. We should have limited ourselves to that.
That's like eating just one potato chip. It's theoretically possible, but have you ever done it?
Old 08-27-2021, 09:37 PM   #14
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
That's like eating just one potato chip. It's theoretically possible, but have you ever done it?
So just let the women be fucked? We can’t try to improve anything anywhere?
Old 08-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #15
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Can't find it now, but I read an article yesterday saying that the big mistake was the Taliban wanted to surrender early on, and we wouldn't negotiate with them. Unclear that anyone in the government in the last twenty years has had a realistic idea of how to get out.