LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 287
0 members and 287 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #61
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
The problem I see here is that many of you use the term conservative to refer to wings in the GOP coalition that are not conservative. I maintain that Trump is not conservative, though I admit that you’d have to be delusional to think that a GOP cleansed of all populist influences is larger than half a dozen white guys.
I think the problem is that conservatism has been taking over by people with different priorities.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #62
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
The problem I see here is that many of you use the term conservative to refer to wings in the GOP coalition that are not conservative. I maintain that Trump is not conservative, though I admit that you’d have to be delusional to think that a GOP cleansed of all populist influences is larger than half a dozen white guys.
You fly with the wings you're given.

The problem is, there are very few conservatives left. We have two classically liberal, interventionist parties. And this use of interventionist is not limited to foreign policy. I mean in the classic sense of seeking to intervene in everything they can, from the bedroom to the bathroom to North Korea.

They only differ in terms of targets and goals. Progressives/liberals are more benign because they err on the side of tolerance. Conservatives long ago conceded this ground, choosing imposition of narrow moralities of the moment over "mind your own business" and "live and let live."
Old 03-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #63
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Half dozen is power!

At the end of Episode 8 there are about 6 rebels left alive. I assume in 9 they'll destroy the bad guys and put the galaxy back on the right course. 6 rebels.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:01 PM   #64
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post

The problem is, there are very few conservatives left.

Indeed.

I am no longer in denial that my people are the silent majority of the GOP. And the small numbers of our #NeverTrump remnant slapped me in the face last week when Bill Kristol became one of my 100 Twitter followers.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #65
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Indeed.

I am no longer in denial that my people are the silent majority of the GOP. And the small numbers of our #NeverTrump remnant slapped me in the face last week when Bill Kristol became one of my 100 Twitter followers.
A lot of #NeverTrump folks are not particularly clear about what it is about Trump that pushes them to that view -- not that they won't criticize him, but I'm not seeing a ton of effort to articulate what it is that he stands for that conservatives should reject, and to make that case to conservatives. Often it's just assumed as self-evident, which supplants the hard work of articulating (what should be the) key conservative values. Not saying this about you, btw -- I think you've been much clearer about it than most.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #66
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Who takes out Sessions first, Trump or Mueller?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #67
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Indeed.

I really need a scorecard as to what which conservatives consider conservative anymore.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #68
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I really need a scorecard as to what which conservatives consider conservative anymore.
For most, the key is sticking it to liberals. Everything else follows from that.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #69
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
For most, the key is sticking it to liberals. Everything else follows from that.
Sigh.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #70
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

I also have not been appearing in West Texas - http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...17-50218.0.pdf
Old 04-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #71
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaveNoMore View Post
Better than Negan....

Coming here more often than I do does not give you license to take my shit.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #72
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF2 View Post
I was not in Kentucky on that date - http://opinions.kycourts.net/sc/2018-SC-000047-KB.pdf
Wait a second, blowing a .337 AFTER giving an hour-long closing argument is damn impressive.

"0.35 BAC: Coma is possible. This is the level of surgical anesthesia. "

http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html
Old 04-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #73
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This had me bent over belly-laughing for 30 seconds.

"All prominent firms now have in-house general counsel to whom firm lawyers go for ethical advice. "
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #74
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
A lot of #NeverTrump folks are not particularly clear about what it is about Trump that pushes them to that view -- not that they won't criticize him, but I'm not seeing a ton of effort to articulate what it is that he stands for that conservatives should reject, and to make that case to conservatives. Often it's just assumed as self-evident, which supplants the hard work of articulating (what should be the) key conservative values. Not saying this about you, btw -- I think you've been much clearer about it than most.
Trade, immigration, and debt. That's it. The NeverTrumpers are classic Rockefeller republicans on trade, believe (admirably, and based on historical, factual proof) that immigration improves this nation, and fear growing govt debt.

They used to also detest Trump's isolationist rhetoric, many of them being neocons. The installation of Bolton fixed that problem.

I think a lot of NeverTrumpers also believe Trump is simply too indecent to hold high office.

Apropos, here's Bill Kristol being brutally honest about why we need immigrant intellectual and cultural capital. I usually find him near nauseating, but he's right here, and it's pretty funny when he realizes he's mic'd.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #75
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The problem is, there are very few conservatives left.
We never had many. They just used "conservatism" as cover for the things they thought they couldn't say out loud anymore.

Quote:
We have two classically liberal
Was there ever dumber moment in time to say this? No, the current GOP and its leader are not in any way classically liberal. That's actually the break that just happened.
Closed Thread