LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 400
0 members and 400 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #2371
Not Bob

Re: icymi above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
The Jewish sorority at your large midwest football school was full of intellectuals?
“Full of”? - perhaps Not.

“Devoid of”? - definitely Not. True, there were more in [redacted name of the other primarily Jewish sorority] (think UWS versus Five Towns), but still.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #2372
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
“Full of”? - perhaps Not.

“Devoid of”? - definitely Not. True, there were more in [redacted name of the other primarily Jewish sorority] (think UWS versus Five Towns), but still.
And you know what, how the fuck would someone like you know the run down on who is in the Jewish Sorority? I may try to get paig's to come back and help me ferret out whether this isn't bullshit in the extreme.

edit- I wouldn't have been allowed near the doors of any sorority but especially that one

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 08-21-2018 at 02:10 PM..
Old 08-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #2373
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I personally think Hoover is a step down and a nice way to isolate yourself from having to deal with people who disagree with you, but there are plenty of people there who are pretty bright, starting with Condi Rice.

I didn't realize they'd associated themselves with D'Souza. That's a great way to diminish your brand.
https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/sta...01188315492353

D'Souza and Ferguson are both there!
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #2374
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/sta...01188315492353

D'Souza and Ferguson are both there!
Damn, thanks for the reminder that we're all judged based on the people we associate with, even tangentially.

Now I have to go orchestrate another purge of some of my partners, and a couple of the people I sing with in choir.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #2375
Not Bob

Quote:
And you know what, how the fuck would someone like you know the run down on who is in the Jewish Sorority? I may try to get paig's to come back and help me ferret out whether this isn't bullshit in the extreme.

edit- I wouldn't have been allowed near the doors of any sorority but especially that one
I can assure you and Paigow with great confidence that, during my time at Podunkville University, the Five Towns-ish girls tended to pledge [redacted] and the UWS-ish girls tended to pledge [redacted].

And who said I was allowed near the doors of their house? By this point in the process, Ruth* was a sister in name only.

*A composite character based upon the girl who told me that her father was an insurance executive after I ranted about the evils of State Farm at an anti-apartheid rally and the girl in ENG 3797, the Mid-Century American Novel, who borrowed Portnoy’s Complaint on a Friday and returned it on a Monday filled with the joy of righteous rage.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #2376
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I can assure you and Paigow with great confidence that, during my time at Podunkville University, the Five Towns-ish girls tended to pledge [redacted] and the UWS-ish girls tended to pledge [redacted].

And who said I was allowed near the doors of their house? By this point in the process, Ruth* was a sister in name only.

*A composite character based upon the girl who told me that her father was an insurance executive after I ranted about the evils of State Farm at an anti-apartheid rally and the girl in ENG 3797, the Mid-Century American Novel, who borrowed Portnoy’s Complaint on a Friday and returned it on a Monday filled with the joy of righteous rage.
Does the composite have tits intermediate the two, or did you default to the bigger?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #2377
Not Bob

Quote:
Does the composite have tits intermediate the two, or did you default to the bigger?
An earnest young Not Robert would angrily respond that he never even notices that sort of superficial thing, but Not Robert’s Id would explain that that’s because the youngster is more of a leg man.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #2378
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I married an anthropology major, but please -- it's not a science.

Why? If you are trying a tort case, you don't need to consider the intervention of invisible aliens using technology we can't understand, even though it's a potential cause.

What if you just accept that systemic oppression is evil in part because it enlists its victims in their own degradation? Black policemen sometimes shoot young black men for no good reason. Women blame other women's clothes for sexual assault. And so on. You don't need science to acknowledge that. But you do need to explain why you think it matters.
1. It uses the scientific method. It’s a soft science. But the only applicable one here.

2. Invisible aliens are not “potential.” The actual humans involved in these issues, and their actions, are real actors and facts to examine.

3. I do accept that. Who doesn’t? But that has nothing to do with the logical point made. And that members of oppressed groups may also be oppressors is of no moment here.

Stop using “victim blaming.” It’s not a valid construct in any logical assessment. It’s an appeal to emotion and an argument from authority, among other logical fallacies.

I stated my reason for concluding it matters. If blame is to be fully accorded and rigorously assessed, in ANY instance, all potential (non-invisible alien) inputs must be considered. To allow otherwise converts a complaint to a judgment (without mitigating offsets for any comparative negligence).* To allow otherwise is to determine something to finality without assessment all facts. Is that ever wise? If you see no danger in this sort of thing, I can’t discuss this any further.

——-
* True comparative negligence (the liable pay all of their share, with an offset only to the exact % of others’ acts), not that horrible and unfair form used in the bus case. I have always found that sort of arbitrary culpability shifting offensive and unjust.

ETA: You see how an allegation/narrative = judgment/proof dynamic is dangerous, and dangerously authoritarian, I’d add. The ultimate point here actually has little to do with the subject at hand. It’s that if we slide into a world where “credibly accused” becomes a standard against which mitigating factors including comparative liability may not be offered in defense - to allegations against or assessments regarding an indindividual or society at large - we’ve conceded our most essential freedoms. An unpopular view or defense may never be squealched because it’s impolitic. It must be beaten on the merits. That may be annoying, or offensive, but it’s also the only way to be intellectually honest, logical, and preserve freedom.

ETA2: I’m also defense oriented, personally. The same analysis that causes me to conclude our justice system is corrupt, discriminatory, and often rigged, is the same one that causes me to recoil at the suggestion certain logical arguments sounding in defense or skepticism should not be raised. Those are arguments over which the govt’s worst Torquemadas and Roy Cohns salivate. “Limit skepticism and defenses we don’t like.” Could anything be more Trumpian?

I’d die before I’d prosecute. Only the money got me through plaintiff’s work.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-21-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #2379
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
1. It uses the scientific method. It’s a soft science. But the only applicable one here.
No. No, it doesn't. Wikipedia helpfully describes the principles of the scientific method:

Quote:
Scientific method is an empirical method of knowledge acquisition, which has characterized the development of natural science since at least the 17th century, involving careful observation, which includes rigorous skepticism about what is observed, given that cognitive assumptions about how the world works influence how one interprets a percept; formulating hypotheses, via induction, based on such observations; experimental testing and measurement of deductions drawn from the hypotheses; and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings. These are principles of the scientific method, as opposed to a definitive series of steps applicable to all scientific enterprises.
As commonly understand, anthropology does not involve experiments.

Similarly, your notion of "assessing" a group's "responsibility" for its own subjugation is not something that be tested through the scientific method.

Quote:
2. Invisible aliens are not “potential.” The actual humans involved in these issues, and their actions, are real actors and facts to examine.
Now you're censoring me, right?

Quote:
3. I do accept that. Who doesn’t? But that has nothing to do with the logical point made. And that members of oppressed groups may also be oppressors is of no moment here.

Stop using “victim blaming.” It’s not a valid construct in any logical assessment. It’s an appeal to emotion and an argument from authority, among other logical fallacies.

I stated my reason for concluding it matters. If blame is to be fully accorded and rigorously assessed, in ANY instance, all potential (non-invisible alien) inputs must be considered. To allow otherwise converts a complaint to a judgment (without mitigating offsets for any comparative negligence).* To allow otherwise is to determine something to finality without assessment all facts. Is that ever wise? If you see no danger in this sort of thing, I can’t discuss this any further.

ETA: You see how an allegation/narrative = judgment/proof dynamic is dangerous, and dangerously authoritarian, I’d add. The ultimate point here is that if we slide into a world where “credibly accused” becomes a standard against which mitigating factors including comparative liability may not be offered in defense - against an indindividual or society at large - we’ve conceded our most essential freedoms. An unpopular view or defense may never be squealched because it’s impolitic. It must be beaten on the merits. That may be annoying, or offensive, but it’s also the only way to be intellectually honest, logical, and preserve freedom.
Again: you do need to explain why you think it matters. In what actual context in the real world is one of these defenses, "unpopular" or otherwise, relevant? What is it relevant to? You keep using the language of judicial proceedings, but groups are not put on trial in judicial proceedings. Are you talking about discussion of legislation? Cable-tv opinion shows? Elevator conversations? What are you talking about?

To put it differently, where in current discourse is it a problem that a group's responsibility for its own plight is not being discussed?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #2380
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Probably not real, but it seems real.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #2381
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
An earnest young Not Robert would angrily respond that he never even notices that sort of superficial thing, but Not Robert’s Id would explain that that’s because the youngster is more of a leg man.
Here we go, I'm calling bullshit. Some men pretend they don't see breast size, but the truth is we all do, even if we don't mention it. Bigger isn't better, but smaller certainly isn't.

Conf to NB. Did you look at the TMBD photos? Yes? No? I'm going to ask legal for an answer so be honest.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 08-21-2018 at 08:08 PM..
Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #2382
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

As commonly understand, anthropology does not involve experiments.
Yes it does, and there is one person posting here with a science degree. Your wife is way more a scientist than you. Sebby's demented theories, at least as I understand, have no connection, but he wins here. The Foundation series explains how these soft sciences become hard, but they are still science. Fuck climate science and evolution, as examples, are no "harder" than anthro.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 08-22-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Old 08-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #2383
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Yes it does, and there is one person posting here with a science degree. Your wife is way more a scientist than you. Sebby's demented theories, at least as I understand, have no connection, but he wins here. The Foundation series explains how these soft sciences become hard, but they are still science. Fuck climate science and evolution, as examples are no "harder" than anthro.
I thought you had an engineering degree?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #2384
Not Bob

Quote:
Here we go, I'm calling bullshit. Some men pretend they don't see breast size, but the truth is we all do, even if we don't mention it. Bigger isn't better, but smaller certainly isn't.

Conf to NB. Did you look at the TMBD photos? Yes? No? I'm going to ask legal for an answer so be honest.
Fair enough. IIRC, they both appeared* to have “normal” sized breasts, not really much of a difference that I remember.

Conf to Hank: Yes, I did. I voted for Lingerie Girl. (Hi, Lingerie Girl!)

*Even then I was a gentleman, so let’s just assume** I merely made out with them.

**Not Robert’s Id: “Because it was true. The boy had*** no talent for closing.”

***Not Bob’s Id: “Plus ca change, etc.”
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #2385
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I thought you had an engineering degree?
BSME, look that shit up.