LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 133
0 members and 133 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #4231
sebastian_dangerfield

Flying in Corona Isn't Wrong*

There's a surreal aspect to finding oneself in a massive East Coast airport most of which is closed. It's like you're in a post-apocalyptic comedy. On the restaurant (the tables of which are now in the walkway, indoor/outdoor style) screen are stories about the impeachment of a President already out of office, marchers on the streets in [Insert City], and the stock market zooming into the stratosphere.

And this photo is of Chapelle, Elon Musk, Grimes, Ron White, and Joe Rogan just a day before Dave tested positive with Covid-19...

...Next week's Davos will focus on the 'Great Reset.'

Biden insists $1.9 trillion is required...

When we're back, Kate Hudson, on having three children with three men, and Kylie Jenner's new product muse.

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar, but also kinda dull, momma?

Wear sneakers. You'll be able to jog at the airport. The closest human will be far away, and despite there being 65% fewer travelers, your flight will probably be delayed, your layover extended.

But as one heads West, the frontier we-couldn't-give-a-fuck attitude emerges. The sight of packed indoor restaurants is odd, off-putting. Temptation is only tempered by the recognition, it'd suck to be quarantined out here.

Or maybe not? The pervasive East Coast defeatism, the recognition the real economic shit hasn't even hit the fan yet in the big cities, isn't much fun to absorb.

I recommend traveling. I may regret it later, but the scenes, if nothing else than those 30 second iPhone movies, are alternatively fascinating and banal. Normalcy prevails, but it's the thinnest patina.

___
* Buffalo Springfield

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 01-25-2021 at 01:50 PM..
Old 01-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #4232
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
The trademarked "big game," I assume.
Ahhh, cool. Icky which team?
Old 01-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #4233
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Ahhh, cool. Icky which team?
This dude
Old 01-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #4234
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
This guy went to Harvard, but I think he was a little after Hank.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #4235
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Was he already huge in LL?
Old 01-26-2021, 05:57 AM   #4236
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Was he already huge in LL?
Catcher-type big but not noticeably so.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #4237
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

It's always Florida or Arizona

https://www.law.com/dailybusinessrev...ith-2-inmates/
Old 01-27-2021, 05:38 AM   #4238
Icky Thump

Well

The mask-free cough in your face rona-type atmosphere doesn't work, evidently as my office just announced a closure for a week for "deep cleaning".
Old 01-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #4239
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Well

Quote:
The mask-free cough in your face rona-type atmosphere doesn't work, evidently as my office just announced a closure for a week for "deep cleaning".
140 people in our company, in three offices. Only cases I know of were in the office housing CS, where people kept coming to work. Don't know of anyone in the other two offices who has gotten sick, from work or otherwise.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #4240
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
140 people in our company, in three offices. Only cases I know of were in the office housing CS, where people kept coming to work. Don't know of anyone in the other two offices who has gotten sick, from work or otherwise.
We're a little different than most places. We're at 648 with a workforce of about 18,000 (including students in both numbers), no deaths. I got my second dose today, and a good hunk of our workforce has gotten at least one, so I suspect our numbers will start going down.

I've been told this dose hits pretty hard, and I'm definitely feeling a little tired, but this is so worth it.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 01-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #4241
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post

We're a little different than most places. We're at 648 with a workforce of about 18,000 (including students in both numbers), no deaths. I got my second dose today, and a good hunk of our workforce has gotten at least one, so I suspect our numbers will start going down.

I've been told this dose hits pretty hard, and I'm definitely feeling a little tired, but this is so worth it.
Ms. Slothrop felt like sh*t for two days after the second dose. Lots of chills. She went to work anyway, which was a huge mistake. Hope it doesn't hit you so hard.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #4242
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

For those keeping track of Moderna second dose side effects, I woke up with a slight fever this morning (99.24) and am feeling pretty tired. Slept about 8 and a half hours last night. Someone yesterday told me it's at about 30 hours when it really hits.

My cousin and her husband said they were taken out for about two days, my boss said she slept for 11 hours.

OTOH, my parents got their second dose yesterday around the same time I did and are feeling fine.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 01-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #4243
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

48 hours later, no fever, feeling fine. Arm still a little sore, but nothing major.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #4244
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
For those keeping track of Moderna second dose side effects, I woke up with a slight fever this morning (99.24) and am feeling pretty tired. Slept about 8 and a half hours last night. Someone yesterday told me it's at about 30 hours when it really hits.

My cousin and her husband said they were taken out for about two days, my boss said she slept for 11 hours.

OTOH, my parents got their second dose yesterday around the same time I did and are feeling fine.
The few I know who have had the Pfizer 2d dose had no effects other than a sore arm. Wife and son get 2d this week.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #4245
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

One of my Trump supporting friends fits this to a tee - https://theweek.com/articles/964006/...-conservatives