LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 107
0 members and 107 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #886
Fugee
Patch Diva

Re: Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb View Post
Just do what I did, viz. have your mother-in-law buy one for her grandchild(ren), then comandeer it [them] as your own, letting the kid(s) use it only on occasion.

One warning, if you type on it a lot, unless you're correctly positioned ergonomically, it can bring on a badass case of tennis elbow. Bad news if your next career move is to tennis pro.
This is probably whiffing, but you know you can get a keyboard/stand for the iPad, right?

iPad keyboard
Old 03-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #887
dtb
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugee View Post
This is probably whiffing, but you know you can get a keyboard/stand for the iPad, right?

iPad keyboard
Yeah... Kind of obviates the purpose (i.e., convenience) of the iPad, though.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #888
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Stuck on Repeats

For those of you old enough (hi Bilmore!) to remember Siskel & Ebert, this is pretty cool.

eta:

Quote:
That same conference room had this long table that Gene used to occasionally rest under. It was so long, in fact, that it covered him completely. One day, he went under the table to catch a few winks while I was typing his and Roger’s scripts for the teleprompter. Not long afterward, Roger came in the room, and without noticing Gene, he made a phone call to arrange an interview with Nastassja Kinski for a piece in the Sun-Times. When Roger left, Gene got up and hit the redial button. He proceeded to tell Nastassja Kinski’s representative that he was Roger’s assistant and that Roger had to cancel the interview. Then he looked at me and said, “Not a word!”
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 03-21-2012 at 01:53 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #889
Fugee
Patch Diva

Quote:
Not if you have a lot to type and want to avoid tennis elbow!

ETA: Muggsy said it better. Drat him!

Last edited by Fugee; 03-21-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #890
J. Fred Muggs

Quote:
Other than the whole "not causing medical problems that impede your leisure time", you're mostly right.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #891
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post

(Sad side effect of global warming: Paddle season ended a month early this year. Playing in anything over 50 degrees is like paying tennis in a cage, with racquetballs. The ball jumps way too much.)
2. It was nearly 80 Monday night for our tournament. Totally different game when it's warm.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #892

Quote:

I'm terrible at paddle, but my husband and I are a good team, because he's so tall. With his arms outstretched, he just about reaches across the entire court. If you can lob over him, it's probably going out.
My problem with paddle is that you need a ridiculous amount of patience. There are almost no winners, which is really frustrating for me.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
FWIW, the little ones in my household have done no damage to the iPad. I worry more about the laptop, with its keyboard.
How little? Do you have a 2-yr old who is completely insane?

Or are all 2-yr olds completely insane?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #894
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
How little? Do you have a 2-yr old who is completely insane?

Or are all 2-yr olds completely insane?
I do not currently have a two-year-old who is completely insane, but I think the main thing is establishing the ground rule that the iPad is used where it cannot be dropped (on a table, on the floor, on a lap while sitting on the floor) and that it disappears if this rule is not heeded.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #895
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I'm terrible at paddle, but my husband and I are a good team, because he's so tall. With his arms outstretched, he just about reaches across the entire court.
Ah! I see what George saw in him.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #896
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Any Saints fans around here?

Probably not, but if so, ouch.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #897
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: Any Saints fans around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Probably not, but if so, ouch.
I get why the NFL has the authority to order a team to suspend its own coach -- essentially, "You can't play league games if that rat bastard is anywhere in the stadium" -- but where do they get off saying he's suspended without pay? Why do they have authority to say who the Saints can write checks to?

Of course, someone will figure out a way to pay his insurance premiums and get him a car, etc., so it's probably meaningless in the long run, but allowing the league officials to do this specific thing is a bad idea.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #898
Fugee
Patch Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
I get why the NFL has the authority to order a team to suspend its own coach -- essentially, "You can't play league games if that rat bastard is anywhere in the stadium" -- but where do they get off saying he's suspended without pay? Why do they have authority to say who the Saints can write checks to?

Of course, someone will figure out a way to pay his insurance premiums and get him a car, etc., so it's probably meaningless in the long run, but allowing the league officials to do this specific thing is a bad idea.
The players who got the bounties should cough up some of the dough since they got the benefit and he gets the punishment. (Or did I miss reading that they have to pay those bounties into the league or something?)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #899
Fugee
Patch Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
For us midwestern proles, what the heck is "paddle?"
As there appears to be no love here for the Minnesota proles (or at least not for you), I resorted to looking it up and assume they mean paddle tennis.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #900
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post

If the league cannot dictate whether the team can pay someone, then the league can't fine anyone, because players and coaches will negotiate ex ante for the team to cover fines.
Closed Thread