LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwest

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 181
0 members and 181 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #76
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Good news Pensk

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
Did you vote today?
Not yet, why?

Penske_Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #77
NotFromHere
No title

Good news Pensk

Quote:
Originally posted by Penske_Account
Not yet, why?
I heard there was some controversy around certain counties and voting per party.
And then there's the monorail fiasco.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #78
NotFromHere
No title

Oregon Wine Country

So I met a bunch of guys from Portland while I was in Sonoma on Saturday. A friend of mine is trying to convince me to go to Oregon Wine Country over the Thanksgiving weekend.
These guys totally tried to convince me it was the best weekend to go to OWC because they claim it's 40% off everything that weekend. Ollie? Pensk? Is this true?
Also, they suggested Archery Summit, Domaine Serene, Sylvan Ridge and Broadly (Claudia's Choice). Not to mention Drouhin.
Any comments? Any other suggestions? Are they lying?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #79
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
So I met a bunch of guys from Portland while I was in Sonoma on Saturday. A friend of mine is trying to convince me to go to Oregon Wine Country over the Thanksgiving weekend.
These guys totally tried to convince me it was the best weekend to go to OWC because they claim it's 40% off everything that weekend. Ollie? Pensk? Is this true?
Also, they suggested Archery Summit, Domaine Serene, Sylvan Ridge and Broadly (Claudia's Choice). Not to mention Drouhin.
They were lying, at least on the 40% off part. Sure, there may be some sales, especially on library wines and stuff available only at the winery, but 40%? Wineries don't like to undercut their retailers.

Thanksgiving weekend is a big deal (as is Memorial Day weekend). Good things: some pretty good food spreads; barrel tastings and tastings of wines that aren't always available; some wineries are only open to the public on these weekends (until recently, Serene and Drounin fell into that category). Bad things: steep tasting fees and big crowds.

The wineries they recommended all make great wines, if perhaps overpriced. Archery Summit is way pretentious, but tastey. Put Beux Frer (sp?) into that category as well. It's partially owned by Robert Parker, and only open on the big weekends. They'll probably charge $20 bucks to taste two or three wines, but you'll get a Riedel glass and some nice snacks.

I like Tori Mor a lot; tasting room has a Japanense Zen feel and they pour a bunch of good single-vineyard stuff. Also: Willakinzie; Patricia Greene; Argyle. There are really lots of good ones these days.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #80
Flinty_McFlint

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
You've never seen Deliverance, have you?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #81
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
I don't know that the discount claim is true, but please let us know, as, if it is, I will be down there too!!

Sineann and Owen Roe are my favourite Oregon craft wineries. Elk's Cove makes a nice Pinot. Argyle's Pinot and Sparkling wines are great. I'll keep thinking.......

Old 10-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #82
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
You've never seen Deliverance, have you?
Didn't Penske say she had a purdy mouth?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #83
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
Didn't Penske say she had a purdy mouth?
She's hot.

And I second Willakenzie.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #84
NotFromHere
No title

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
They were lying, at least on the 40% off part. Sure, there may be some sales, especially on library wines and stuff available only at the winery, but 40%? Wineries don't like to undercut their retailers.

Thanksgiving weekend is a big deal (as is Memorial Day weekend). Good things: some pretty good food spreads; barrel tastings and tastings of wines that aren't always available; some wineries are only open to the public on these weekends (until recently, Serene and Drounin fell into that category). Bad things: steep tasting fees and big crowds.

The wineries they recommended all make great wines, if perhaps overpriced. Archery Summit is way pretentious, but tastey. Put Beux Frer (sp?) into that category as well. It's partially owned by Robert Parker, and only open on the big weekends. They'll probably charge $20 bucks to taste two or three wines, but you'll get a Riedel glass and some nice snacks.

I like Tori Mor a lot; tasting room has a Japanense Zen feel and they pour a bunch of good single-vineyard stuff. Also: Willakinzie; Patricia Greene; Argyle. There are really lots of good ones these days.
Thanks you guys. I can get the Argyle and Willakenzie here. Also the one with the doggie on the label that the name escapes me.

The others I cannot.
$20 is a little pricey, but in Sonoma and Napa, it's $5 for the crap tastings and $10-$15 for the "reserve" tasting. Unless you're at Opus One, then it's $25 and $35. And you don't get to keep the glass and no snacks. And that tasting is only 1 pour. But I've already told that story.

I guess now I have to find out if there are hotels available that weekend or if I can fly or will have to drive. I can't imagine getting a flight on Sunday. Are these wineries close enough to each other to drive in a day?

Last edited by NotFromHere; 10-11-2005 at 06:44 PM..
NotFromHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #85
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
Thanks you guys. I can get the Argyle and Willakenzie here. Also the one with the doggie on the label that the name escapes me.

The others I cannot.
$20 is a little pricey, but in Sonoma and Napa, it's $5 for the crap tastings and $10-$15 for the "reserve" tasting. Unless you're at Opus One, then it's $25 and $35. And you don't get to keep the glass and no snacks. And that tasting is only 1 pour. But I've already told that story.

I guess now I have to find out if there are hotels available that weekend or if I can fly or will have to drive. I can't imagine getting a flight on Sunday. Are these wineries close enough to each other to drive in a day?
You can hit a nice variety in a day. A cold, wet day, in all likelihood.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #86
NotFromHere
No title

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
You can hit a nice variety in a day. A cold, wet day, in all likelihood.
You act like I wouldn't have expected that. As long as it's not snowing, I can take any kind of weather.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 PM   #87
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
You act like I wouldn't have expected that. As long as it's not snowing, I can take any kind of weather.
What if you are at Snoqualmie or Steven's Pass skiing or boarding?

Old 10-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #88
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

trifecta breaking

Quote:
is there Oregon Ice Wine?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #89
NotFromHere
No title

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:
Then snow is required. But not for wine tasting. That would suck.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #90
NotFromHere
No title

Oregon Wine Country

Quote:

But where do people from Georgia hang out?