LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Practice Areas > Non-Attorneys

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 268
0 members and 268 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
patentparanyc

Invites

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
I don't actually do anything that has to do with money or investments.
Don't disclose anything outable but are you comfortable sharing what you do "generally"? I'm curious. you can slap me back into place if not.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #17
Watchtower
Genesis 2:25

Invites

Quote:
Originally posted by patentparanyc
Can I send out invites to this board? pretty please?
I'm not sure telling everyone else to go to Hell is a good idea. But, whatever.

Why not try posting no more than once per page on the other board? Impose a limit on yourself. Then you'll have to choose the post you most want to make. And you may have to wait a while before responding to someone, which can give you a chance to think. (and this board only works if you actually post less over there - before you are banned).

And if you need to post, you can stick one here.
Watchtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #18
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Invites

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
I don't actually do anything that has to do with money or investments.
ppnyc, if you're interested in a page dedicated to your thoughts, you may want to consider starting a blog and telling all of your friends about it.

It's very easy to set up a blog at typepad, livejournal, blogger or any of the other hosting sites, and your friends can make comments and generate discussion. That may work much better for your communciation style than taking up ten percent of the posts of a posting board.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #19
patentparanyc

Invites

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
ppnyc, if you're interested in a page dedicated to your thoughts, you may want to consider starting a blog and telling all of your friends about it.

It's very easy to set up a blog at typepad, livejournal, blogger or any of the other hosting sites, and your friends can make comments and generate discussion. That may work much better for your communciation style than taking up ten percent of the posts of a posting board.
I may think about it. I'm a little afraid of work censure a little....although you could set up an "anon" blog as Ty has: and he has suggested. and just make zero mention of work... I am sure many creative types here have blogs.

I was trying to articulate earlier the main issue and you nailed it is I have a peculiar communication style. I even do that with emails. I can't finish a thought so I send like 30 emails about random shit to people....and bombard them. My friends are used to it as unique to me, but as you can see it becomes problematic on the board for this particular communication venue. I understand and will pledge to cut back but it really feels like I'm stifling myself...so out of courtesy I will try but like you've said I gotta find another expression outlet...so it really ain't like bnb portrays it like I'm a "bad" person, I've slung some bad posts but it is more a communication style issue that is not cohesive.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #20
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Invites

Quote:
I may think about it. I'm a little afraid of work censure a little....although you could set up an "anon" blog as Ty has: and he has suggested. and just make zero mention of work... I am sure many creative types here have blogs.

I was trying to articulate earlier the main issue and you nailed it is I have a peculiar communication style. I even do that with emails. I can't finish a thought so I send like 30 emails about random shit to people....and bombard them. My friends are used to it as unique to me, but as you can see it becomes problematic on the board for this particular communication venue. I understand and will pledge to cut back but it really feels like I'm stifling myself...so out of courtesy I will try but like you've said I gotta find another expression outlet...so it really ain't like bnb portrays it like I'm a "bad" person, I've slung some bad posts but it is more a communication style issue that is not cohesive.
It is not a communication style. It is the symptom of a lack of discipline. If you cannot complete thoughts beore communicating them, how can you expect people to take the time to listen to your scattered fragments?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #21
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

If you're having an open house

Where are the snacks and the bar?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #22
patentparanyc

If you're having an open house

Quote:
Originally posted by taxwonk
Where are the snacks and the bar?
I am considering having a happy hour. What type of Hors d'Oeuvres do you want...?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #23
Watchtower
Genesis 2:25

Invites

Quote:
It is not a communication style. It is the symptom of a lack of discipline. If you cannot complete thoughts beore communicating them, how can you expect people to take the time to listen to your scattered fragments?
I think it is important to be supportive here. As I read it, ppnyc is probably on at least the third step to recovery and posting less. I know I've been through the program, and it was hard, but, I succeeded and post much less today.

God Bless.
Watchtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #24
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

Invites

Quote:

I've got a blog that is not anon. It's not terribly creative, but I like it and don't blog about family or work. It's a great way to get those random thoughts out of my head that would bore the pants of the FB folks.

I have blog-friends that are totally anonymous on-line, but I don't want to put that much of my personal life on the internets.

I've blogged from work, but not about work. If you start a blog, whatever you do, don't blog about work or people at work, unless you want to get dooced.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #25
sebastian_dangerfield

Invites

Quote:

I don't have an issue with the substance of what you post. It's the absolute contempt for any semblance of grammar that drives me nuts. You ricochet from thought to thought in this unholy mixture of Kerouak and ee cummings. I'm no paragon of cohesive thought, but I at least offer the gibberish in readable prose. You have a facility with 50 cent words, but then you'll misuse simple nouns and verbs next to them, which leads a reader to believe the lack of sensible construction is deliberate. Which is fucking annoying. Your text should not come off like someone is spinning the dial on a radio at top volumen and allowing 2 seconds of every station to play before continuing the spin.

My suggestion is to use more periods. Connecting a pack of lengthy sentences with commas is like dragging the reader by the nose. I don't want to be dragged through disparate thoughts in one breathless run because you can't find or don't want to use th period key. The use of ellipses is one of the trickiest things in writing. I abuse them with abandon. I shouldn't. Neither should you.

Half of anything you write is how you write it. Hank can get away with playing with the prose because that's half his shtick. And it works. I don't think it should be your shtick.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #26
patentparanyc

Invites

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Elk
I've got a blog that is not anon. It's not terribly creative, but I like it and don't blog about family or work. It's a great way to get those random thoughts out of my head that would bore the pants of the FB folks.

I have blog-friends that are totally anonymous on-line, but I don't want to put that much of my personal life on the internets.

I've blogged from work, but not about work. If you start a blog, whatever you do, don't blog about work or people at work, unless you want to get dooced.
I'm with you.....I'm not sure if I am feeling a blog quite yet but it really makes sense.....considering.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #27
patentparanyc

Invites

Quote:
Originally posted by sebastian_dangerfield
I don't have an issue with the substance of what you post. It's the absolute contempt for any semblance of grammar that drives me nuts. You ricochet from thought to thought in this unholy mixture of Kerouak and ee cummings. I'm no paragon of cohesive thought, but I at least offer the gibberish in readable prose. You have a facility with 50 cent words, but then you'll misuse simple nouns and verbs next to them, which leads a reader to believe the lack of sensible construction is deliberate. Which is fucking annoying. Your text should not come off like someone is spinning the dial on a radio at top volumen and allowing 2 seconds of every station to play before continuing the spin.

My suggestion is to use more periods. Connecting a pack of lengthy sentences with commas is like dragging the reader by the nose. I don't want to be dragged through disparate thoughts in one breathless run because you can't find or don't want to use th period key. The use of ellipses is one of the trickiest things in writing. I abuse them with abandon. I shouldn't. Neither should you.

Half of anything you write is how you write it. Hank can get away with playing with the prose because that's half his shtick. And it works. I don't think it should be your shtick.
As usual, you are brutally honest, yet helpful. I will try to be more coherent/cohesive in my structure, form and format of my posts.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #28
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Invites

Quote:
As usual, you are brutally honest, yet helpful. I will try to be more coherent/cohesive in my structure, form and format of my posts.
I see. And how long have I been saying exactly the same thing?

It's nice to know where one stands. Good day to you, Madam.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #29
patentparanyc

Invites

Quote:
I see. And how long have I been saying exactly the same thing?

It's nice to know where one stands. Good day to you, Madam.
Wonk, don't be upset I have acknowledged that you have advised me essentially the same thing and I have been trying hard. To be more coherent and to limit my posts...don't be hurt. I'm sorry
Old 11-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #30
Penske_Account
WacKtose Intolerant

Invites

Quote:
Originally posted by sebastian_dangerfield

Half of anything you write is how you write it. Hank can get away with playing with the prose because that's half his shtick. And it works.

Hank's okay, but let's face it, he doesn't have his own category, iykwimaittyd.

Penske_Account is offline   Reply With Quote