LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 161
0 members and 161 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #2596
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
No it isn't. One can understand that there are reasons behind abuse that involve the abused become abusers. But no one gets a fucking pass. And she is currently not getting a pass.
It's a mitigating circumstance.

Quote:
Absolutely no one is saying that they are the same thing. Are you attempting to set up another straw man conversation?
No. I'm citing facts. Are you setting up a conversation where we largely agree so you can argue with me?

Quote:
Ah, yes. The old, "Boys are lucky if hot women statutory rape them" bit.
I'm not sayin' he's lucky... But I'm just saying if I were there (and I've slept with women many years my senior), he's not the most unlucky boy in the world...

Quote:
This needs to stop.
You're right. Certain things should be off limits to comic commentary! Too much coarseness in our commentary today.

Quote:
If you want to argue 17 isn't the right age, okay. But let's move beyond this ridiculous theme that young boys are lucky if they are abused by good looking women.
It's not a theme. It's half observation, half joke.

Quote:
The fact that so many people see it this way makes it almost impossible for them to actually come forward. They may think it was a great thing, but, as I understand it, they often have different feelings about it as they age.
I don't think this precludes young men from coming forward. I think they don't come forward because they shrug it off. I know a few guys who slept with the same teacher in high school. It's a dirty inside joke now. They won't discuss it... but very drunk, they'll sheepishly joke about it.

These people are not cowed by jokes.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't often completely screwed up. It's either abuse or it's not. We don't say, "That girl shouldn't complain. The dude who took advantage of her is an athlete!"
If I need to explain why a 110 lb actress sleeping with a 150 lb boy is different from a 200 lb high school lineman forcing himself on a 110 lb cheerleader, we've gone into the Bizarro Universe.

TM[/QUOTE]

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-29-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Old 08-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #2597
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I should have just given you my proxy.

Nonetheless, can I say one more time about Sebby's post, ewwwwww.
I’m pretty sure that Sebby’s point was that 17 should be within the age of consent. And I agree. I was in college at 17, and I’m pretty sure that the Tri-Delts I hit on wouldn’t have committed a crime if my game ever worked on them beyond the very occasional drunken make-out sessions at the Rathskeller. Or the twenty- and (once!) thirty-something co-workers at the Duff’s Smorgasbord just off campus.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #2598
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
ew.
Ponce.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #2599
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Once more, if you're at all serious, I'll call you a priggish ponce. I'd have been Mrs. Robinson's pool boy without a second thought. So would almost any stable male.
I think I’d have been pretty happy if a teacher fucked me- I mean I tried to get my dog to lick it when I was twelve. BUT that doesn’t mean this guy couldn’t have been messed up by it. What if he was gay? What if he had just lost his virginity with his HS gf and envisioned himself loyal? Or a dozen other scenarios.

And twenty years later I might very well look at the whole thing and see it as really fucked up. The power aspect of it, the treating me as a toy part. I could see it bubbling back up. Plus this is a really good looking kid. He didn’t need a charity fuck.

Fun fact: my ex-aunt played Jackie Bisset’s friend that was in the cut scene that explained why the hottest woman in the world decided to start fucking a nebish teen.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #2600
Not Bob

Quote:
If I need to explain why a 110 lb actress sleeping with a 150 lb boy is different from a 200 lb high school lineman forcing himself on a 110 lb cheerleader, we've gone into the Bizarro Universe.
Is the “boy” 16 or older? Then it’s different, yes, but it still may be problematic in terms of coercion, etc. I mean, in Riverdale, Miss Grundy threatened Archie with bad grades if he didn’t agree to continue steaming up the inside of her old-school VW Bug. (Kidding aside, I’m pretty sure that something similar happened recently outside of the CW Universe.)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #2601
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Is the “boy” 16 or older? Then it’s different, yes, but it still may be problematic in terms of coercion, etc. I mean, in Riverdale, Miss Grundy threatened Archie with bad grades if he didn’t agree to continue steaming up the inside of her old-school VW Bug. (Kidding aside, I’m pretty sure that something similar happened recently outside of the CW Universe.)
Who you calling “boy?”
Old 08-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #2602
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I’m pretty sure that Sebby’s point was that 17 should be within the age of consent. And I agree. I was in college at 17, and I’m pretty sure that the Tri-Delts I hit on wouldn’t have committed a crime if my game ever worked on them beyond the very occasional drunken make-out sessions at the Rathskeller. Or the twenty- and (once!) thirty-something co-workers at the Duff’s Smorgasbord just off campus.
When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
We'd hide from the lights
On the village green
When I was seventeen
Old 08-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #2603
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I think I’d have been pretty happy if a teacher fucked me- I mean I tried to get my dog to lick it when I was twelve. BUT that doesn’t mean this guy couldn’t have been messed up by it. What if he was gay? What if he had just lost his virginity with his HS gf and envisioned himself loyal? Or a dozen other scenarios.

And twenty years later I might very well look at the whole thing and see it as really fucked up. The power aspect of it, the treating me as a toy part. I could see it bubbling back up. Plus this is a really good looking kid. He didn’t need a charity fuck.

Fun fact: my ex-aunt played Jackie Bisset’s friend that was in the cut scene that explained why the hottest woman in the world decided to start fucking a nebish teen.
Of course it can be abuse, and of course this is partly ironic... But for most of us? With a woman like Argento? Thinking about baseball wouldn't be enough to get me past minute five. I'd have to be thinking about the glass table scene in Portnoy's Complaint, imagine her as Ernest Borgnine, or replay post-bombing scenes from Nagasaki in my head.

Are you talking about The Deep? Bisset still owns Best Wet T Shirt Scene of all time for that.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #2604
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Archie likes girls?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #2605
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Of course it can be abuse, and of course this is partly ironic... But for most of us? With a woman like Argento? Thinking about baseball wouldn't be enough to get me past minute five. I'd have to be thinking about the glass table scene in Portnoy's Complaint, imagine her as Ernest Borgnine, or replay post-bombing scenes from Nagasaki in my head.

Are you talking about The Deep? Bisset still owns Best Wet T Shirt Scene of all time for that.
Right after Deep was Class. My ex-aunt was poised for a career, then cut.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #2606
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Right after Deep was Class. My ex-aunt was poised for a career, then cut.
Oh, I forgot about that one.

Elizabeth Hurley -- poor man's Bisset?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #2607
sebastian_dangerfield

On the subject of corporate speech preclusion...

Nerd Fight! https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/t...ical-bias.html
Old 08-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #2608
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
It's a mitigating circumstance.
I think sometimes you forget that this website is set up in such a way that we can see what you said just one post before! If you say, "The suggestion that she gets a pass because Harvey abused her is not without some merit," and I say, "No it's not." A response that says it's a mitigating circumstance is something entirely different.

Quote:
No. I'm citing facts. Are you setting up a conversation where we largely agree so you can argue with me?
Jesus, you're so full of shit.

Quote:
I'm not sayin' he's lucky... But I'm just saying if I were there (and I've slept with women many years my senior), he's not the most unlucky boy in the world...
That's exactly what you're saying. You just said it again.

Quote:
It's not a theme. It's half observation, half joke.
No it's not. It is a feature of our society that boys, even young ones, should be focused on conquests. Mind you, I am as guilty as anyone else, so I am not targeting you specifically. As recently as last year I would have said that the kid was lucky as fuck. But the reality is that boys who are used for sex by adults are abused and are robbed of a meaningful, loving relationship, and a healthy (initial) view of sex.

Think back to the few dudes you knew in junior high who managed to have sex with women. Tell me they weren't or didn't end up fucked up. My group of friends thought they were gods when they were really just screwed up kids who were being taken advantage of.

Bennett (the guy she abused) characterizes the interaction as, "trauma." Argento was allegedly receiving nudes of this guy when he was fucking 12. The fact that a grown ass woman (32 at that point) can receive nude photos of a confused, young boy, not inform his parents or even tell him that they are inappropriate and to stop, cultivate that relationship, and then fuck him when he's 17 and she's 37 shows you that she is completely screwed up.

Quote:
I don't think this precludes young men from coming forward. I think they don't come forward because they shrug it off.
Sometimes I am floored by how dense you are. They shrug it off because they are conditioned to shrug it off. Do you understand what I'm saying now?

Quote:
I know a few guys who slept with the same teacher in high school. It's a dirty inside joke now. They won't discuss it... but very drunk, they'll sheepishly joke about it.
Re-read what you just wrote. You know people who were abused by an adult and who don't talk about it, but will reluctantly joke about it when they're really fucking drunk. Do you think that might be because we all pressure them to feel lucky about it and that maybe they think about it differently? Holy shit.

Quote:
You need to explain why you've chosen to characterize the sexual interaction with an athlete as forcible rape and not something consensual, because what you just did was really, really fucking weird.

TM
Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #2609
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
No offense, but is it nice to always give everyone the benefit of the doubt in every interaction? Seriously. I have many faults, and a big one is that I absolutely do not have this ability (based on experience, mind you, but that can't be the only reason). Do you feel even more angry when it turns out you were completely wrong?

TM
Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #2610
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

HOWEVER... I haven't read the whole story about the guy with whom Argento had sex. But he was 17. At 17, many of us were already having sex. I mean, maybe he's a victim of a sort... but really? Really? To any male on this board, If Asia Argento asked you to have sex when you were 17... If she pulled a Mrs. Robinson on you... Would you seriously, deep down, feel abused? Or would you perhaps think, Jesus Loves Me! (And then hope with all your might you can last more than two minutes.*)
She had known him for 9 years at that point, had played his mother on screen and had made motherly comments about her feelings about him, that make is more creepy.

Also, if he felt violated it wasn't okay, regardless of whether 17 old me would have been up for it.
Closed Thread