LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 154
0 members and 154 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:37 AM   #2851
Icky Thump

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
4 was when?

Season 4 when Omar robs the poker game. Omar is taking the money Marlo says

Marlo Stanfield:
That's my money.

Omar:
Man, money ain't got no owners, only spenders

http://www.quotes.net/mquote/935461
Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #2852
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtclub View Post
Something really fishy going on there. Do you believe Paul mows his own lawn? With ear buds in?
Of course, because he's got stuff there that he doesn't want other people to see! Wake up and smell the reefer peoples!!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #2853
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Sure, but cities are better and worse in such things, and DC (in my experience) is uniquely bad in the way people run lights and stop signs.
I don't know. Minneapolis doesn't seem any better to me. Honestly, I think the problem is anywhere you put suburban drivers in an urban setting. People drive out of their cul-de-sac onto wide, multi-lane stroads, get up to freeway speeds (or worse, wind up frustrated and bumper-to-bumper) and are worked up by the time they get to the city and can't go as fast as they want or have to stop.

As with all things, it's basically the suburbs fault.

Last edited by Adder; 11-13-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #2854
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I don't know. Minneapolis doesn't seem any better to me. Honestly, I think the problem is anywhere you put suburban drivers in an urban setting. People drive out of their cul-de-sac onto wide, multi-lane stroads, get up to freeway speeds (or worse, wind up frustrated and bumper-to-bumper) and are worked up by the time they get to the city and can't go as fast as they want or have to stop.

As if all things, it's basically the suburbs fault.
I think the poor driving in Minnesota has a regional passive-aggressive tendency that distinguishes it from poor driving elsewhere. E.g., people will not let other drivers merge and stare straight ahead pretending they do not see the merging driver. This is by far the most egregious Minnesota driving sin. Also, tailgating at slow speeds in traffic. What are you doing? Other habits are just fucking clueless. Don't sit at a light and then turn on your blinker as the light turns green. And random braking. Completely fucking random braking.

I am not sorry.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #2855
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Epistemic Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
cray cray
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
cray cray
I know I've been away, but I'm back to help. Stop this immediately.

TM
Old 11-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #2856
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Thanks Obama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
When I was on jury duty, a judge told me that prosecutors want someone whom the rest of the jury will listen to and follow, because then they can focus on that person.
I got picked for a criminal trial (and made foreperson) 3 years ago. Here is my take:

1. People are fucking stupid. One third of the jury wanted to convict on the harshest charge right away without listening to what actions rise to meet the elements of the charge or the judge's instructions. Two jurors wanted to outright acquit right away without even discussing the fucking facts. I had to explain the charges and how a conviction could be met and walk them through how and why the prosecution had to meet their presumption. Again and again and again.

2. People are cruel and selfish. I always thought that, once in that jury room, people would take their duty very seriously. Here is the order of priorities in that room: (1) Getting it over with quickly, (2) Lunch, and finally (3) Coming to the right decision. I'm not sure ours is the worst system, but if it's the best, that is the saddest statement ever made. People are getting fucked by this system left and right--and not just from a racial and class perspective.

3. I eventually got them to the right decision. But I could have made them go any way I wanted them to go. After the decision, we learned the defendant had serious mental problems. So I'm not sure why he was on trial at all. But that's our criminal justice system for you.

TM
Old 11-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #2857
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Thanks Obama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
3. I eventually got them to the right decision. But I could have made them go any way I wanted them to go.
Entirely predictable, and why I'm surprised both sides were willing to take that gamble.

Just after starting at my old BigLaw gig, I got called to serve on the DC grand jury. Three weeks of daily service, more or less precluding doing much actual work, but hey, I got paid.

I wasn't exerting any similar influence, nor did I want to, but it was definitely eye-opening about how much people make decisions based on intuition rather than analysis. Given the super-low bar and one-sided nature of the evidence offered, it was close to a rubber stamp.

Except for when the prosecutor was seeking indictment for (1) possession with intent to distribute, (2) possession of a firearm, and (3) possession of a firearm during a crime of violence or other serious offense.

No problem indicting on the first two, but the prosecutor had to come back twice to explain how possession with intent to distribute was an "other serious offense" and a statutory predicate to #3, which the grand jury wasn't buying. To some degree it was her fault for not stressing that point enough the first time, but nonetheless, we indicted on all of the elements of #3, but not that charge because they didn't think it was a crime of violence.

Nonetheless, people showed up and took it pretty seriously.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #2858
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I think the problem is with Congress. Yes, Trump worsens things. But the R Congress and Obama were at war for eight years before. And I know your reply to that: "Obama tried to work with them initially." I said that same thing to someone who ran a department under Obama. This person's response to me was, "No. Obama didn't really try to work with Rs initially. He just did a very good job of making it appear that way, which was politically shrewd and effective."
This is complete and total revisionist bullshit. Republicans were running away from their own fucking bills because they couldn't be seen to agree with him. They outright said they would oppose anything he was in favor of. Don't be ridiculous.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 11-13-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #2859
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
This is complete and total revisionist bullshit. Republicans were running away from their own fucking bills because they couldn't be seen to agree with him. That outright said they would oppose anything he was in favor of. Don't be ridiculous.

TM
There was enormous frustration with Obama on healthcare because he dragged out the process and made several compromises in an attempt to at least get a few Republicans to cross over. He didn't get them, but the compromises stayed in the bill. It could have been done months earlier and had a number of stronger provisions if he would have accepted a "democrats only" vote.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #2860
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Serious flower is worst flower.
Disagree. Although I prefer the mix, but that's almost completely limited to responses to Sebby's bullshit.

TM
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #2861
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Best The Wire quote:

1 "All in the game, yo!"

2 "You come at the King, you best not miss!"

3 "you want it to be one way, you want it to be one way, you want it to be one way, but it's the other way!"

4 ???????
I robs drug dealers.

The king stay the king.

I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick.

TM
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #2862
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Hi. We should lower the national speed limit (okay, the state and local because we don't have a national one) on city surface streets to 20 mph.
Fuck that shit.

TM
Old 11-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #2863
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
There was enormous frustration with Obama on healthcare because he dragged out the process and made several compromises in an attempt to at least get a few Republicans to cross over. He didn't get them, but the compromises stayed in the bill. It could have been done months earlier and had a number of stronger provisions if he would have accepted a "democrats only" vote.
That was more true of the stimulus than healthcare. With healthcare, the bill had to please Max Baucus.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #2864
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

I have to say, it was nice of all those Republicans to go on the record as pro-pedophilia before Allred brought the hammer down. (sips Keurig).
Old 11-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #2865
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I have to say, it was nice of all those Republicans to go on the record as pro-pedophilia before Allred brought the hammer down. (sips Keurig).
Think you meant to sign this, "Love, GGG, D.A."
Closed Thread