LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 225
0 members and 225 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:17 PM   #31
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Adware or other potential problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diane_Keaton
HI> I"M CONSTANTLY HIT BY Spyware. I have no idea if this is the cause but sometimes my computer does things (not just pop up windows) that I didn't ask it to do. Example: it all capped the first few words of this post.
Mine fucks with the spelling and grammar in my posts. Wheeew..got this one in clean.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:13 PM   #32
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Adware or other potential problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diane_Keaton
HI> I"M CONSTANTLY HIT BY Spyware. I have no idea if this is the cause but sometimes my computer does things (not just pop up windows) that I didn't ask it to do. Example: it all capped the first few words of this post.

1. Do you think this weird computer behavior is a result of adware?

2. Even though I use adware to delete all the stuff that shows up, it keeps coming back. Is there not a place on the computer where you can tell the computer never to allow anything from a particular website? Then I could at least "block" things like "purityscan" which seem to always make it on the computer;

Thanks a bunchs!
Adaware solved most of my problems. I already had spybot, so I don't know how effective that will be. I have heard they are releasing an updated version soon. I would also suggest changing your browser from Explorer (I'll assume that's what you're using) to something like Mozilla. I haven't had too many problems since switching. HANK IS AN ASSHOLE! Of course, no system is perfect.

Last edited by Shape Shifter; 07-18-2004 at 11:17 PM..
Shape Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #33
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Judge gone wild

I'll never say I recieved a weird ruling from a Judge again. At least relative too:

http://crime.about.com/gi/dynamic/of...udge%5Fap.html
(Spree- judge orders stalker to take victim to dinner as punishment)
Old 08-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #34
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

It's been so long, I forgot what this looks like

I saw this blurb on the "resubscribe to the Texas Lawyer" e-mail I just got. Is this a nationwide thing or is Texas starting a revolution?

I know this is the wrong board and I'll take the TK discussion over to Texas.
  • Thompson & Knight Raises
    Base Salaries for Associates
    In the first significant associate pay hike in Texas since the heady days of 2000, Thompson & Knight will raise associate base salaries in January, a move that might signal the start of another paycheck bonanza for associates.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #35
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
[From] an article on oral argument by the late California Supreme Court Justice Stanley Mosk:
  • A small community in California passed a local ordinance prohibiting fortune telling within its city limits. A fortuneteller named Fatima Stevens brought a lawsuit seeking an injunction against enforcement of the ordinance. Obviously there were serious First Amendment problems with the ordinance, which was a total prohibition -- not a regulation or a licensing -- of the activity. However, the fortuneteller lost in the courts below, and our Supreme Court granted a hearing.

As counsel for the fortuneteller rose for oral argument to present her case, Chief Justice Lucas said, "Counsel, you have us at a disadvantage."

The attorney was perplexed. "Why, Your Honor?"

"Well," said the Chief Justice, "hasn't your client told you how this case will ultimately turn out?"

On its face this was an irrelevant joke; but it was, intentionally or not, sending a subtle message that fortune-telling is indeed bunk.... Here's how Mosk describes the lawyer's artful dodge:
  • [T]his attorney was up to the challenge. "No, Your Honor," he replied. "You must remember I did not consult my client for advice. She consulted me."

The fortune-teller won.
courtesy of Eugene Volokh
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #36
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Hank?

I didn't know you were in HK. And I didn't really have you pegged as a giggler.

http://www.nylawyer.com/news/04/08/081004n.html
Old 08-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #37
sfiail

Coaches

Has anyone employed the services of a career coach specializing in people with legal training? I am adrift and sort of desperate for guidance.
I quit my big firm job a while ago because I hated every minute of my several years there. I just don't know what else I can (or want) to do.
I know it sounds new agey (and I remember the Nip/Tuck episodes involving a rather sensational "personal coach"). But I found a guy specializing in lawyers and want to hear if anyone else has had experience using these people for career guidance. The guy seems good. I just want someone else's take on the pros/cons of this for people like me seeking career guidance. My personal life is just fine, or at least not as bad as my professional life.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #38
Not Me
Too Lazy to Google

Coaches

Quote:
Originally posted by sfiail
Has anyone employed the services of a career coach specializing in people with legal training? I am adrift and sort of desperate for guidance.
I quit my big firm job a while ago because I hated every minute of my several years there. I just don't know what else I can (or want) to do.
I know it sounds new agey (and I remember the Nip/Tuck episodes involving a rather sensational "personal coach"). But I found a guy specializing in lawyers and want to hear if anyone else has had experience using these people for career guidance. The guy seems good. I just want someone else's take on the pros/cons of this for people like me seeking career guidance. My personal life is just fine, or at least not as bad as my professional life.
I doubt that they can do anything for you that you couldn't do by doing your own career option research and using a bit of common sense.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:13 PM   #39
TexLex

Question ?

I got the below email 8/30. 1) Did anyone else registered with FL get this because the only place I use that email addy is here and FL and I know LT does not sell email addresses and 2) What a wierdo!

Hello texlex2003@hotmail.com,

I'm seeking an attorney/attorneys who is/are licensed in the state of MISSOURIto take on a case that, according to one attorney has the potential to be a six figure case if I can make the connection between the car accident and the crippling, mental, and physical diseases, illness that came about right after the accident and has been a part of my life every since, I need to know where I go to file this type of case for around 25 million
dollars, for whatever the attorney deems is a fair amount of reparations for what I suffered.

Which is the correct court for this type of lawsuit? Where do I get the paperwork that has to be filled out and submitted? Can I do this to avoid going over the stature of limitations without having an attorney on board?

I have a landmark auto accident case where some very unusual things happened.

The accident occurred at Route K, William Street, and Siemers drive in Cape Girardeau, MO on October 12, 1999

A female ran a red light in her big 1992 GMC Safari van and broadsided me going around 50 miles per hour.

Picture of 1992 GMC Safari

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/342867

I had the right of way, two green left turn arrows were in my favor. I was driving a brand new 2000 Red Grand Prix with less than 50 miles on it.

Picture of 2000 Grand Prix

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/268275

The female admitted in the police report that she was looking down into her purse and didn't notice the light was red.

I came down with Diabetes just days after the accident along with other mental and physical conditions resulting from the impact of the accident. I have VA physicals, and one ruling from British Columbia so far supporting what I believe to be the cause of my life threathening injuries

My five year statute of limitations expires on October 9, 2004; so I'm turning in the lawsuit paperwork next week.

I can be reached by email, if you are interested in helping me with this case. You can also reach me by phone at 1-573-837-4092

Sincerely,

Clyde L. Benson
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701
Old 08-31-2004, 04:18 PM   #40
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

?

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
I got the below email 8/30.
All I can say is that if you can connect diabetes and a car accident, you deserve your 1/3 of the $25m in damages claimed.

(of course, your email addy may be short enough that the auto-name generators may have picked it up randomly)
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:20 PM   #41
TexLex

For that I want at least 40%
Old 08-31-2004, 04:46 PM   #42
Mister_Ruysbroeck
Retired

?

Quote:
I got the below email 8/30. 1) Did anyone else registered with FL get this because the only place I use that email addy is here and FL and I know LT does not sell email addresses and 2) What a wierdo!

Hello texlex2003@hotmail.com,

I'm seeking an attorney/attorneys who is/are licensed in the state of MISSOURIto take on a case that, according to one attorney has the potential to be a six figure case if I can make the connection between the car accident and the crippling, mental, and physical diseases, illness that came about right after the accident and has been a part of my life every since, I need to know where I go to file this type of case for around 25 million
dollars, for whatever the attorney deems is a fair amount of reparations for what I suffered.

Which is the correct court for this type of lawsuit? Where do I get the paperwork that has to be filled out and submitted? Can I do this to avoid going over the stature of limitations without having an attorney on board?

I have a landmark auto accident case where some very unusual things happened.

The accident occurred at Route K, William Street, and Siemers drive in Cape Girardeau, MO on October 12, 1999

A female ran a red light in her big 1992 GMC Safari van and broadsided me going around 50 miles per hour.

Picture of 1992 GMC Safari

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/342867

I had the right of way, two green left turn arrows were in my favor. I was driving a brand new 2000 Red Grand Prix with less than 50 miles on it.

Picture of 2000 Grand Prix

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/268275

The female admitted in the police report that she was looking down into her purse and didn't notice the light was red.

I came down with Diabetes just days after the accident along with other mental and physical conditions resulting from the impact of the accident. I have VA physicals, and one ruling from British Columbia so far supporting what I believe to be the cause of my life threathening injuries

My five year statute of limitations expires on October 9, 2004; so I'm turning in the lawsuit paperwork next week.

I can be reached by email, if you are interested in helping me with this case. You can also reach me by phone at 1-573-837-4092

Sincerely,

Clyde L. Benson
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701
Respond that you're not licensed in MO and that you recommend he contact an attorey in MO before the statute runs. Point him to some atty referral service.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:13 PM   #43
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

?

Quote:
FWIW, my e-mail for here is the same way (only FL and here), and I didn't get it.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:19 PM   #44
Flinty_McFlint

?

Quote:
Originally posted by baltassoc
FWIW, my e-mail for here is the same way (only FL and here), and I didn't get it.
Hmmm, all I seem to get is spam for penis reduction creams.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:49 PM   #45
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

?

Quote:
Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
Hmmm, all I seem to get is spam for penis reduction creams.
Just tell Hank you won't let him do sex to you no matter how small he can get it to go.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote