LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 206
0 members and 206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #1546
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Australia/New Zealand in winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post
I've had a change of vacation plans and I'm now booked for flights to Brisbane, Sydney and Auckland in mid-to-late June. I'll have a few days in each of Brisbane and Auckland and only two days in Sydney. Tips? Must-sees?

Any thoughts on what the fact it will be winter means to my travel plans? Sounds like Brisbane will be like LA (temperate year-round), but I'm less confident about Sydney and Auckland...
Never been to Brisbane. Really good food in Sydney but the last time I was there it was incredibly expensive. Anyone could make a ton of money working at a mine drilling minerals for the Chinese, which drove prices up. This may have cooled off. When I go for work, I stay near The Rocks, which is not the most interesting part of town -- go farther afield. Take a ferry somewhere and back.

Auckland was pretty cool when I was there almost two decades ago, but it's very spread out -- a hard place to see on foot.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #1547
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Grammys

I missed the Grammys. Can anyone tell me if Beyonce is still black?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #1548
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Never been to Brisbane. Really good food in Sydney but the last time I was there it was incredibly expensive. Anyone could make a ton of money working at a mine drilling minerals for the Chinese, which drove prices up. This may have cooled off. When I go for work, I stay near The Rocks, which is not the most interesting part of town -- go farther afield. Take a ferry somewhere and back.

Auckland was pretty cool when I was there almost two decades ago, but it's very spread out -- a hard place to see on foot.
Brisbane has a great food and walking scene. If you can find the time, go down to Byron Bay. It is Australia's Santa Cruz. You can skip the Gold Coast unless you love Florida's miles and miles of beach-front retirement condos.

Auckland is cool too. It is spreadout, but there is a circle loop bus that goes everywhere you want to go and works for sightseeing too. Depending upon your weather, a good day trip is wine tasting on the island just off the city.

Sydney is Sydney.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #1549
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Brisbane has a great food and walking scene. If you can find the time, go down to Byron Bay. It is Australia's Santa Cruz. You can skip the Gold Coast unless you love Florida's miles and miles of beach-front retirement condos.

Auckland is cool too. It is spreadout, but there is a circle loop bus that goes everywhere you want to go and works for sightseeing too. Depending upon your weather, a good day trip is wine tasting on the island just off the city.

Sydney is Sydney.
Thanks! I'm considering renting a car in Auckland and doing a 3 night (self-guided) tour including stops in Hamilton, Rotorua and Lake Taupo (basically the first three days of this itinerary). My sister wants to see the glow worms and I'd like to see snowcapped mountains, thermal springs and such. I think if we did that, our first three nights would be this tour and our fourth night would be in Auckland. Seem doable? Seem worth it? Or would you stay in Auckland with just a day trip to the worm caves?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #1550
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post
Thanks! I'm considering renting a car in Auckland and doing a 3 night (self-guided) tour including stops in Hamilton, Rotorua and Lake Taupo (basically the first three days of this itinerary). My sister wants to see the glow worms and I'd like to see snowcapped mountains, thermal springs and such. I think if we did that, our first three nights would be this tour and our fourth night would be in Auckland. Seem doable? Seem worth it? Or would you stay in Auckland with just a day trip to the worm caves?
My weather experience from many years ago in June is probably not much use, but winter in NZ was pretty cool, and downright cold on the South Island. Sydney wasn't so bad.

I didn't see the worm caves then, but thought the other stops were definitely worth making it happen. That said, why not just hop a flight from Brisbane or Sydney straight to Christchurch and spend 3 days on the South Island?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #1552
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
UWS restaurants- Boulud Sud across from Lincoln Center and Telepan on 69th just west of Columbus are two favorites. I assume you are there soon? If not until spring there are outdoor Cafes along the Hudson that are not great food but beautiful settings. On the other hand, simply walking up Amsterdam from 72nd to about 90th you will pass a million restaurants, and might simply wait for inspiration. (Also, Tavern on the Green is reopened, in case you have any Catcher in the Rye fans?)

As to family activities, the Cloisters is pretty cool and the park around it amazing- hard to believe you are sill in the City. The High Line walk is good, even if too crowded. The aircraft carrier tour would probably be something they'd like. Also the Natural History and Metropolitan Museums are great. 9/11 memorial is something, the museum might be a bit much for the younger kid, but maybe not?

But simply walking through the park, or just walking a few miles down one of the avenues is pretty amazing. The changes along Broadway from the UWS to say Soho, or even further down gives you a pretty dynamic sense of the City.

EDIT- walk the Brooklyn bridge and have lunch in DUMBO, or take the water taxi from Bk Heights to Williamsburg.
I'd just like to recommend a few places I have enjoyed:

Ivan Ramen, on Clinton just south of Houston. I know this isn't where TM sent us for ramen, but we read his book so we wanted to go.

Momofuku's Ssam Bar, on Second Ave at 13th. Make a reservation for a group to get the bo ssam, and if you don't eat pork, reconsider.

Ella, on Columbia somewhere near 70th. A neighborhood tapas place.

Gastronomia Culinaria, on 106th at Manhattan. Better-than-average Italian.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #1553
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
My weather experience from many years ago in June is probably not much use, but winter in NZ was pretty cool, and downright cold on the South Island. Sydney wasn't so bad.

I didn't see the worm caves then, but thought the other stops were definitely worth making it happen. That said, why not just hop a flight from Brisbane or Sydney straight to Christchurch and spend 3 days on the South Island?
We aren't doing South Island at all. North Island only. We have 5 days/4 nights in and around Auckland. Flights are set.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #1554
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

[QUOTE=Tyrone Slothrop;499024]I'd just like to recommend a few places I have enjoyed:

Ivan Ramen, on Clinton just south of Houston. I know this isn't where TM sent us for ramen, but we read his book so we wanted to go.[quote]Never been, but I've heard good things.

Quote:
Momofuku's Ssam Bar, on Second Ave at 13th. Make a reservation for a group to get the bo ssam, and if you don't eat pork, reconsider.
Excellent choice. That is one of the best large format meals in the city.

Quote:
Ella, on Columbia somewhere near 70th. A neighborhood tapas place.
I think you mean Columbus, but I'll let it slide.

Quote:
Gastronomia Culinaria, on 106th at Manhattan. Better-than-average Italian.
Too far, but I'll take your word for it.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #1556
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I think you mean Columbus, but I'll let it slide.
Only because I had too much to drink. Also enjoyed Pio Pio on Amsterdam at 95th, but not sure the family-style format will work for everyone.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #1557
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Only because I had too much to drink. Also enjoyed Pio Pio on Amsterdam at 95th, but not sure the family-style format will work for everyone.
Pio Pio is great, but the quantity of food is borderline disgusting. We share one combo plate and do not come near finishing it. The wife does always finish her pisco sour(s) though. P.S. actually a small chain.

If you are still there, Celeste on Amsterdam between 84/85 east side, is really good simple i-tie. But bring cash. The place has no permanent sign, paper taped in window, first time I went in I thought it a pop-up, but still there years later.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #1558
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Did you not do NoMad Bar or Levain? If so, I refuse to give you recs for anything ever again.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #1560
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Did you not do NoMad Bar or Levain? If so, I refuse to give you recs for anything ever again.

TM
Couldn't make NoMad Bar work -- didn't think our kids could hold out for a table. Which was a major bummer.

A friend on another internet community recommended a dim sum place in Chinatown, Nom Wah, that we didn't get to, but it sounded great. Anyone know it?

The highlight of the week was seeing Hamilton. Awesome.