LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 62
2 members and 60 guests
LessinSF, Tyrone Slothrop
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2020, 02:26 PM   #2806
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,924
Re: Objectively intelligent.

https://news.yahoo.com/portland-wall...104705149.html
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #2807
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)
 
Replaced_Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Romantically enfranchised
Posts: 14,053
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
I have a friend who makes big bucks from Legionnaire's cases. He told me where they come from, thanks. What I am saying is even if the disease was caused by demon sperm spread from liberals -- TWO DAYS OF ANTIBIOTICS AND BETTER.

Also leaving aside that I have never heard of a two day course of antibiotics, but whatever.
If they're administered intravenously, there can be some pretty quick effect, but it still takes awhile.
__________________
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:10 PM   #2808
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,109
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
I have a friend who makes big bucks from Legionnaire's cases. He told me where they come from, thanks. What I am saying is even if the disease was caused by demon sperm spread from liberals -- TWO DAYS OF ANTIBIOTICS AND BETTER.

Also leaving aside that I have never heard of a two day course of antibiotics, but whatever.
Yes, agreed. My mind boggles at the people who are intentionally passing this sort of crap, and at the people who want so badly to believe that a lot of Covid-19 is just Legionnaire's that can be cured with two days of antibiotics.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #2809
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,232
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
If they're administered intravenously, there can be some pretty quick effect, but it still takes awhile.
But you can "feel better" after 2 days. My crazy person didn't say "off meds in 2 days." Only PI lawyer Icky made that leap.
__________________
The conscience of Lawtalkers!
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #2810
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,232
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
There is such a strong human desire to spin a story to explain away the pandemic. One of my blackshirt cousins, a guy with high risk, had a friend tell him on Facebook that he hopes he doesn't catch it, and he said that he and thousands of other people already had it in January. Yeah, sure. A guy I see at the park walking my dog always has some story, like how the hospitals are counting every test as a positive, which is driving up the numbers. So much wishful thinking, getting people killed.
Why do you still let him walk your dog?
__________________
The conscience of Lawtalkers!
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #2811
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,232
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
How does one have a one night stand?
Dude, that was always rolling dice. Stakes just higher.

Mi. has a slight uptick, which seems expected given relaxing things. But the Gov keeps complaining about it. My partner with 5 kids in late teens to mid-20s says it is all young people. They are done with lock down and no hook ups. (he is Catholic and has mostly daughters so he didn't say "hook-ups." I'm reading in)
__________________
The conscience of Lawtalkers!
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #2812
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,279
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Dude, that was always rolling dice. Stakes just higher.

Mi. has a slight uptick, which seems expected given relaxing things. But the Gov keeps complaining about it. My partner with 5 kids in late teens to mid-20s says it is all young people. They are done with lock down and no hook ups. (he is Catholic and has mostly daughters so he didn't say "hook-ups." I'm reading in)
“Sorry. No kissing. Roll over.”

Hot🔥🔥🔥
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:34 PM   #2813
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,109
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Why do you still let him walk your dog?
Excellent question, but if you re-read the sentence carefully you will see that I meant *the park* was walking my dog.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:53 PM   #2814
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,232
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Hi everyone!!! “How to tell it's fake: Thousands allowed in a church for John Lewis funeral. None allowed at your church.”
__________________
The conscience of Lawtalkers!
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #2815
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,924
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Hi everyone!!! “How to tell it's fake: Thousands allowed in a church for John Lewis funeral. None allowed at your church.”
Kavanaugh was correct in his dissent in the Nevada church case.
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #2816
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,279
Hating the Bros

So I'm shooting the shit with this lawyer last Thursday. Guy's super-progressive. Huge BLM guy. And we get to talking about justice reform and then Bernie comes up. Dude goes on a rant about how Bernie is basically as bad as Trump. The guy detests Bernie.

I've heard this before. I know enough not ask follow ups, so I just politely listen and say, "Well, Bernie is unrealistic." Milquetoast reply, intended to defuse.

This Bernie hatred, which is very common, is confusing to me. Look, I get that he's a curmudgeon, and he's naive and unrealistic about his policies. But how does a progressive find such hatred for a guy who's done so much to push forward progressive causes. If not for Bernie, the Democratic Party would be dominated by triangulating Clintonite centrists (effectively, in terms of impact, Moderate Republicans of old).

It's hard for me not say the following:

"Look, if you hate Bernie it's because he's raising some really tough questions. Economic questions. The moderates have no answer for inequality. Sure, they say they do, but it's just redistribution at the margins, some crap about retaining that'll never work, or MOAR EDUCATION! It's bullshit. The Republicans and Centrist Democrats don't have any plan to really help the downtrodden to become economically independent. They're just arguing over how much money to throw at them.

If you want proof of this, look at 'woke capitalism' all around you. Consider that it's your affluent progressive friends who are all fixated on wokeness. That corporations are in an orgy of virtue signalling. All this while the poor of all backgrounds are just trying to survive.

Why? Part of it is well intentioned. People with time on their hands and a few bucks can engage in protests and they love anything that smells of 'raising awareness.' But a bigger part of it is because it's easy and it lets them off the hook. To say one is woke, to support protests, attend them perhaps, costs an affluent white person nothing. Nada. Zip. And to say our problems are entirely race based allows affluent white folks, and corporations, to avoid the economics of inequality. It allows those doing alright in a neoliberal economy to dodge a conversation about how 20% of us are running away with all of the spoils while the other 80% - of all colors and backgrounds - are languishing.

That's the conversation Bernie wanted to have. He was interested in European reforms, like putting workers' representatives on corporate boards, raising the minimum wage significantly, single payer. He would've taxed financial transactions and rentier activities.

You can't really hate Bernie and call yourself a progressive. What you can and should call yourself is a selfish centrist who's protecting his book."
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #2817
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 19,699
Re: Hating the Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
So I'm shooting the shit with this lawyer last Thursday. Guy's super-progressive. Huge BLM guy. And we get to talking about justice reform and then Bernie comes up. Dude goes on a rant about how Bernie is basically as bad as Trump. The guy detests Bernie.

I've heard this before. I know enough not ask follow ups, so I just politely listen and say, "Well, Bernie is unrealistic." Milquetoast reply, intended to defuse.

This Bernie hatred, which is very common, is confusing to me. Look, I get that he's a curmudgeon, and he's naive and unrealistic about his policies. But how does a progressive find such hatred for a guy who's done so much to push forward progressive causes. If not for Bernie, the Democratic Party would be dominated by triangulating Clintonite centrists (effectively, in terms of impact, Moderate Republicans of old).

It's hard for me not say the following:

"Look, if you hate Bernie it's because he's raising some really tough questions. Economic questions. The moderates have no answer for inequality. Sure, they say they do, but it's just redistribution at the margins, some crap about retaining that'll never work, or MOAR EDUCATION! It's bullshit. The Republicans and Centrist Democrats don't have any plan to really help the downtrodden to become economically independent. They're just arguing over how much money to throw at them.

If you want proof of this, look at 'woke capitalism' all around you. Consider that it's your affluent progressive friends who are all fixated on wokeness. That corporations are in an orgy of virtue signalling. All this while the poor of all backgrounds are just trying to survive.

Why? Part of it is well intentioned. People with time on their hands and a few bucks can engage in protests and they love anything that smells of 'raising awareness.' But a bigger part of it is because it's easy and it lets them off the hook. To say one is woke, to support protests, attend them perhaps, costs an affluent white person nothing. Nada. Zip. And to say our problems are entirely race based allows affluent white folks, and corporations, to avoid the economics of inequality. It allows those doing alright in a neoliberal economy to dodge a conversation about how 20% of us are running away with all of the spoils while the other 80% - of all colors and backgrounds - are languishing.

That's the conversation Bernie wanted to have. He was interested in European reforms, like putting workers' representatives on corporate boards, raising the minimum wage significantly, single payer. He would've taxed financial transactions and rentier activities.

You can't really hate Bernie and call yourself a progressive. What you can and should call yourself is a selfish centrist who's protecting his book."
The reasons are at least four fold:

(1) He and his people love to demonize other people; it's a cult, and if you don't worship St. Bernie you're not a progressive. We've all been called names by Bros along the way, and we've all had them question our integrity.
(2) He undermines good candidates, whether it is past races in Vermont, local races he decides to get into, or Hillary Clinton. He is particularly nasty to minority and women candidates; watching the Bernie Bros feed on Elizabeth Warren when she didn't do as she was told by them was one of the recent stomach turning escapades. One side effect of this is he has no long term alliances - try to think of another elected official who has worked closely with bernie for years - there are none, if you work with him too long, there will be a knife in your back.
(3) He's really shallow - everything is a bumper sticker, there is always an easy solution. I'm sure you like this about him. This makes having an argument with the Bernie Bros as frustrating as having an argument with Trumpsters (example: I have asked innumerable Bros how M4A would impact the development of innovative drugs - there are good answers to this question by the way - and have never gotten anything but a man, you must be a neoliberal shill to question M4A, what is wrong with you)
(4) He's gotten shit done. Other than staging big rallies and basking in adulation, he's accomplished next to nothing.

Compare the above to, say, the squad. They operate in a completely different way. Really, one thing you don't want is Bernie to be too firmly in your camp.

As to this "you can't hate Bernie and call yourself a progressive" crap - fuck you, that's Bro-speak. As I've noted before, I was in Burlington with Bernie the night he was first elected Mayor, I was campaign manager for a progressive Member of Congress in an adjacent district, I was a member of DSA back when he first joined. I know whereof I speak.
__________________
A wee dram a day!

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 08-05-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #2818
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,924
Re: Hating the Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
(2) He undermines good candidates ... or Hillary Clinton.
Good one.
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #2819
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,279
Re: Hating the Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
The reasons are at least four fold:

(1) He and his people love to demonize other people; it's a cult, and if you don't worship St. Bernie you're not a progressive. We've all been called names by Bros along the way, and we've all had them question our integrity.
(2) He undermines good candidates, whether it is past races in Vermont, local races he decides to get into, or Hillary Clinton. He is particularly nasty to minority and women candidates; watching the Bernie Bros feed on Elizabeth Warren when she didn't do as she was told by them was one of the recent stomach turning escapades. One side effect of this is he has no long term alliances - try to think of another elected official who has worked closely with bernie for years - there are none, if you work with him too long, there will be a knife in your back.
(3) He's really shallow - everything is a bumper sticker, there is always an easy solution. I'm sure you like this about him. This makes having an argument with the Bernie Bros as frustrating as having an argument with Trumpsters (example: I have asked innumerable Bros how M4A would impact the development of innovative drugs - there are good answers to this question by the way - and have never gotten anything but a man, you must be a neoliberal shill to question M4A, what is wrong with you)
(4) He's gotten shit done. Other than staging big rallies and basking in adulation, he's accomplished next to nothing.

Compare the above to, say, the squad. They operate in a completely different way. Really, one thing you don't want is Bernie to be too firmly in your camp.

As to this "you can't hate Bernie and call yourself a progressive" crap - fuck you, that's Bro-speak. As I've noted before, I was in Burlington with Bernie the night he was first elected Mayor, I was campaign manager for a progressive Member of Congress in an adjacent district, I was a member of DSA back when he first joined. I know whereof I speak.
1. I agree. Bernie people can be cultish and they are incredibly naive. But they are also kind of pure in this regard. They seem to really believe we need massive, systemic change. Their thinking is somewhat akin to Adder's assertion that one is either racist or antiracist. Or to cite Kesey, on the bus or off the bus. This may be pitiable, but a basis for hatred?
2. Hillary was not a good candidate. The most exercised voters in 2016 wanted to blow up the system, not incrementally modify it in a way that keeps you and me and all of our richer friends happy while people looking for work are left holding their dicks in their hands. Bernie understood this. Trump understood this. Hillary was clueless.

More generally, however, I do agree that Bernie kneecaps more moderate candidates, just like the Tea Party kneecaps moderate Rs. But again, these insurgents are doing it because they believe people like us - moderates, neoliberals - won't give them the radical change they desire. I hate that the Tea Party has turned the GOP primaries into crowning ceremonies for right wing lunatics. But I don't hate them for doing so.

I think "hand grenade" candidates like Bernie, the Tea Party, AOC, and Trump open up necessary debates we'd otherwise avoid. They question incrementalism. Maybe that's needed?
3. He's shallow by design. He wants to kick down the barriers of debate by simply repeating extreme positions until they become part of the mainstream conversation. It's marketing genius. And it serves the interests of true progressivism, as opposed to Clintonite faux progressivism, quite well.
4. I could not disagree more. Bernie and Trump have completely upended modern politics. They've gelded the forces on the right and left which kept policy debates within tight little bands, so no true radical change could occur. Bernie shoved open the door for the progressive movement to acquire a very large seat at table of the Democrat leadership. Where they could once be ignored as fringe players to at most be placated, now they're a serious power bloc. And a growing one as well. Biden and Harris might be a resurgence of the corporate wing of the Democratic Party, but it's a last dance for their kind. If Biden tries to run the place as a triangulator, he's going to feel the wrath of both the Bernie and Trump factions in the midterms, and beyond.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #2820
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,812
Re: Hating the Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
(example: I have asked innumerable Bros how M4A would impact the development of innovative drugs - there are good answers to this question by the way
Discovery? Not much. Mostly government-funded already.

Approval? With a changed incentive structure, we can likely streamline the approval process (some of which we should be doing anyway).
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.