LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 477
0 members and 477 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #2911
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
They both have to testify Monday or this thing looks like a delay tactic. Don’t argue with me about whether it’s fair or not. The accusation is six weeks’ old, at least. She risks loss of credibility if he’s there Monday and she’s asking the FBI to vet a 36 year old story.

This is war. This is how it’s done. Unless you can tell me how delay benefits the effort to tank this guy, I think she needs to be on a plane to DC. If he’s there and she isn’t, opposition loses loses Flake, Corker, and any hope of anti-Trump GOP cooperation. Which the Ds need here.
BTW, if this is a war, it's not her war. She's not a politician. She didn't ask for this. Painting her as you do is repeating a GOP talking point designed to undermine her credibility and discount her story.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #2912
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I think the Democrats may be able to kill his nomination outright. Flake and Corker need some cover to vote against Kavanaugh, and they provide the cover for Collins and Murkowski to do so.
That would be great. But if you're telling me these assholes will outright vote against this guy if she shows up Monday for a farcical, Republican-lead proceeding, then I've got a like-new bridge to sell you. And if they vote for this guy if the vote is forced before he is actually fairly vetted and the allegation actually investigated, then they were always full of shit and were never going to vote against him.

And what does Flake need political cover for? He's done when his term is up. If you or he thinks he's going to run for President, I've got a like-new stretch of road to sell both of you.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 09-19-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Old 09-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #2913
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
That would be great. But if you're telling me these assholes will outright vote against this guy if she shows up Monday for a farcical, Republican-lead proceeding, then I've got a like-new bridge to sell you. And if they vote for this guy if the vote is forced before he is actually fairly vetted and the allegation actually investigated, then they were always full of shit.

TM
If the Senate Republicans run a farce of a hearing where they don't take her seriously, they are asking for huge trouble in November.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #2914
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
BTW, if this is a war, it's not her war. She's not a politician. She didn't ask for this. Painting her as you do is repeating a GOP talking point designed to undermine her credibility and discount her story.
I didn't say she asked for it. But the Democrats have brought her into it. So like it or not, she's in a war.

I don't doubt that she's thinking, "WTF did I get into here? All I wanted to do was keep a creep off the court."
Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #2915
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
If the Senate Republicans run a farce of a hearing where they don't take her seriously, they are asking for huge trouble in November.
Agreed. But they will do exactly that if they can.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #2916
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
That would be great. But if you're telling me these assholes will outright vote against this guy if she shows up Monday for a farcical, Republican-lead proceeding, then I've got a like-new bridge to sell you. And if they vote for this guy if the vote is forced before he is actually fairly vetted and the allegation actually investigated, then they were always full of shit and were never going to vote against him.

And what does Flake need political cover for? He's done when his term is up. If you or he thinks he's going to run for President, I've got a like-new stretch of road to sell both of you.

TM
I thought she'd need to do the hearing so these Rs could at least point to some evidence to support a no vote. But then GGG offered his idea, which is better (do 60 Minutes instead). In some fashion, Ford has to state her story, credibly, enough that Flake, Corker, Murkowski, and Collins can say, "Hey. There's smoke and fire here. I can't support this."

She needs to put a face and some detailed facts behind the allegation. Otherwise, Rs will assert that she's full of shit and therefore couldn't testify under oath.

Flake can't burn all the bridges on the way out the door. He needs a bit of cover or he'll find himself totally ostracized from the party and the networks connected to it. And he comes from a political family.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #2917
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I didn't say she asked for it. But the Democrats have brought her into it. So like it or not, she's in a war.
Which is why I said, if it's a war, it's not her war. RTP.

Quote:
I don't doubt that she's thinking, "WTF did I get into here? All I wanted to do was keep a creep off the court."
I suspect that's not what she would say. If that were her goal, she would have done things differently. It is, however, the sort of thing a GOP talking point would say.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #2918
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
From whom? Who is going to vote them out who has not already made up their mind to vote them out? They've considered this. They want their guy on the Court and the political repercussions for pushing him through are negligible given where they currently stand.

TM
Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #2919
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

To counter Ty's assertion that you are parroting Republican talking points, you deliver another Republican talking point? I'm not sure what game you are playing here but it is way too subtle for me.

I am not sorry.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #2920
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Which is why I said, if it's a war, it's not her war. RTP.
Which is why I effectively said, it is her war now. Because she's the D infantry here.

Quote:
I suspect that's not what she would say. If that were her goal, she would have done things differently. It is, however, the sort of thing a GOP talking point would say.
How is that an R talking point, other than in your biased head?

What other reason would she have to send in that letter and now come forward? because she just likes having half the country hate her? Because she digs death threats? Because she wants to recall the details of a traumatic experience in public where people will call her a liar?

What other reason than desiring to keep a man she alleges assaulted her off the court would she have for doing any of this? Give me one. And then tell me, how is stating this - stating the sole credible, rational, logical reason she'd have for doing this - a GOP talking point?

You're an annoying prick sometimes, you know that? Even agreeing with you is hard.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #2921
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
To counter Ty's assertion that you are parroting Republican talking points, you deliver another Republican talking point? I'm not sure what game you are playing here but it is way too subtle for me.
Snap, ya got me. I'll come clean. I was trying to disparage her by suggesting she's having second thoughts. Clearly, that's impossible. Because no one who's now in the cross hairs of every right winger in the country would have second thoughts about that situation.

I mean, the way those folks respond to people like her, with their measured, sensible critiques and respectful consideration of her story, all in good faith... Why there's nothing at all for anyone in her shoes to be worried about in the least.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #2922
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
But the Democrats have brought her into it.
Who brought her into it? I mean, she wrote a letter to her congressperson and called the Washington Post.

Yeah, she hoped to be able to keep her name out of it if possible, but she brought herself into it and should be commended for it.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #2923
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
From whom? Who is going to vote them out who has not already made up their mind to vote them out? They've considered this. They want their guy on the Court and the political repercussions for pushing him through are negligible given where they currently stand.

TM
It's about turnout and motivation. They are caught between true conservatives who demand Kavanaugh on the Court and moderate women. I suspect most Senators don't care whether the next Justice is Kavanaugh or another conservative -- unlike some prior Justices, who were picked because they were tight with Senators, Kavanaugh was picked by the White House.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #2924
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Who brought her into it? I mean, she wrote a letter to her congressperson and called the Washington Post.

Yeah, she hoped to be able to keep her name out of it if possible, but she brought herself into it and should be commended for it.
I heard on MSNBC this morning that she sent the letter anonymously and that Feinstein's office leaked it to media.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #2925
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
It's not an accusation. Just a fact. He parrots Democratic talking points too, right?
Closed Thread