LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 98
0 members and 98 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #136
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Way more into soccer. Watch with my daughter, who is a goalie, all the time. I like it much more, but I still can't fucking stand the flopping. If you catch me on facebook, I'm the exact same way about basketball and that's a sport I know and love. Used to love Griffin and Paul, but now I can't stand them because of the flopping. And don't get me started on Harden.

But I don't understand why one can't discuss a rule that I don't understand. As far as I can tell, the only responses I got were of the "it prevents players from camping out on one end of the field," variety. When I asked why that's a concern since the other team could either take an advantage of one fewer player against them on defense or leave a player back to guard against cherry-picking, all I heard was silence. I've since researched it a bit and spoken to people who actually understand the game and apparently, the rule is supposed to protect the beauty of the perfectly-timed pass. Makes sense, I guess. I still think if you removed the rule, there would be more (or maybe different, to be fair) strategy. If it turned into one team dumping the ball into the other team's end--similar to hockey--that would ruin it.

TM
The offside rule in soccer is pretty much the same thing as in hockey. When your daughter was younger, if your experience was at all similar to mine, was that someone would get the ball and one of two things would happen: em would blast the ball down toward the other teams goal or every body on the field but the goalies would form this rugby sort of scrum where all the kids kicked each other in the ankle until someone got the ball loose. Then that kid would blast the ball down to the goal. The offside rule keeps the players from hanging around the goal, waiting for a chance to cherry-pick a loose ball.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #137
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd Finch View Post
I bet your daughter hates them. I was a goalie (I sucked), my brother was a goalie (amazingly good, a European coach tried to recruit him for their 18-19 year old farm team, even though he was under 6 feet tall), goalies all hate corners. Too fucking stressful, too little you can really control.
Same here, and I'm basically the same size now as I was at 15, so I could fill a lot more of the net.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #138
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
The offside rule in soccer is pretty much the same thing as in hockey. When your daughter was younger, if your experience was at all similar to mine, was that someone would get the ball and one of two things would happen: em would blast the ball down toward the other teams goal or every body on the field but the goalies would form this rugby sort of scrum where all the kids kicked each other in the ankle until someone got the ball loose. Then that kid would blast the ball down to the goal. The offside rule keeps the players from hanging around the goal, waiting for a chance to cherry-pick a loose ball.
Thanks. You've been hepful.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #139
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
That may be a fallout of the rule but doesn't explain what is was intended to do. and by the way, the leagues around here don't even use it until U-8. It's complicated rules, with some subtle exceptions.

The rule might actually benefit offense- some teams (Italy) are very defensive. If a defensive team kept its forward down by the goal, then the other teams has to keep its defenders back, and then its midfielders can't go too far forward, so it will tougher to score?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #140
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
That may be a fallout of the rule but doesn't explain what is was intended to do. and by the way, the leagues around here don't even use it until U-8. It's complicated rules, with some subtle
The fallout explains what was intended, which, as you say, was to prevent goal-hanging.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/...o-present.html

I think it's hard to say exactly what would happen if you eliminated the rule altogether (which is unrealistic) or modified it somehow (more realistic) because it usually takes awhile to figure out the impact of radical changes. We've had a 3-point line in basketball for over 30 years, but it's taken a while for the game to develop to the drive and kick strategy so prevalent now - in the 80s 3 pointers weren't nearly the large part of the offense they are now.

I suspect that true goal hanging wouldn't really work. Long balls played to a striker would generally not meet their mark, and the GK will have an advantage in those circumstances anyway. Question I think that needs to be answered is whether a modification of the rule could open up play but not change the game too much.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #141
Did you just call me Coltrane?

"I was chased Upstairs and Downstairs by lecherous Hollywood predators: Star of 70s TV classic joins Helen Mirren's attack on casting couch creeps."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ch-creeps.html

"One of her earliest experiences of sexual harassment came when she was invited to the home of a legendary Hollywood actor and his wife and family.
I ended up staying for about three weeks,’ says Lesley-Anne. ‘One night he was screening The Poseidon Adventure and he said, ‘‘Come and sit next to me.” He then added, “Have some popcorn,’’ so I put my hand in the carton and just froze. He’d put his penis up through the bottom of the carton and my hand was now touching it. I just remember being there for what seemed like an eternity, slowly moving my hand away and trying to lean away from him."

I don't believe this happened. It seems like a lot of work to get the expected result of a one-second touch followed by revulsion.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #142
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
"I was chased Upstairs and Downstairs by lecherous Hollywood predators: Star of 70s TV classic joins Helen Mirren's attack on casting couch creeps."

"One of her earliest experiences of sexual harassment came when she was invited to the home of a legendary Hollywood actor and his wife and family.
I ended up staying for about three weeks,’ says Lesley-Anne. ‘One night he was screening The Poseidon Adventure and he said, ‘‘Come and sit next to me.” He then added, “Have some popcorn,’’ so I put my hand in the carton and just froze. He’d put his penis up through the bottom of the carton and my hand was now touching it. I just remember being there for what seemed like an eternity, slowly moving my hand away and trying to lean away from him."

I don't believe this happened. It seems like a lot of work to get the expected result of a one-second touch followed by revulsion.

Although maybe she had "whiskey vagina":

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/18/whiske...adies-5202693/
Old 05-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #144
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vujNcE_43Qg

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #145
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Thanks. You've been hepful.

TM
My pleasure.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #146
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
The fallout explains what was intended, which, as you say, was to prevent goal-hanging.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/...o-present.html

I think it's hard to say exactly what would happen if you eliminated the rule altogether (which is unrealistic) or modified it somehow (more realistic) because it usually takes awhile to figure out the impact of radical changes. We've had a 3-point line in basketball for over 30 years, but it's taken a while for the game to develop to the drive and kick strategy so prevalent now - in the 80s 3 pointers weren't nearly the large part of the offense they are now.

I suspect that true goal hanging wouldn't really work. Long balls played to a striker would generally not meet their mark, and the GK will have an advantage in those circumstances anyway. Question I think that needs to be answered is whether a modification of the rule could open up play but not change the game too much.
Generally, the forward who is offside is not going to have a ball passed to em generally. It's to prevent opportunistic goals when the ball gets loose. It also prevents the game from devolving into one where the goalies just boot the ball to the far end of the field, the offside player's kick is stopped, and the ball sails over the rest of the players' heads to do the same thing on the other side.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #147
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Although maybe she had "whiskey vagina":

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/18/whiske...adies-5202693/
They passed up an opportunity to call it “London Dry Gin”?
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #148
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
And before Diner, it was a Don Imus joke.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #149
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Call me a Boston apologist, but this suggests both sides see some merit in the other's position.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #150
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
My side sees merit in following baseball.