LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 143
0 members and 143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:13 AM   #46
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: Song Parodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I've talked to him a ton about Trump (early after he was sworn in). He's a Trump guy. Don't know when it happened, but he's the walking personification of the entire Republican Party.

TM
He changed.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #47
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Unrelatedly, Hugo, Nebula and Arthur C. Clarke award winner Ann Leckie's new book Provenance uses the pronouns em, e, eir and derivatves thereof. We need credit. https://mobile.twitter.com/ann_lecki...691328?lang=en
Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #48
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Northam, Warren, Fairfax...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It’s all Bullshit. Until the police come in and drag MEL Gibson out of the Oscars( front row?) it is all about who earns. Fuck them.
Mel has 9 lives in regard to this stuff. First was the "I'm not an ant-Semite... I'm an alcoholic." Then it was, "I'm not a racist... I have a rage problem."

My guess is, given he made like $300mil off Passion of the Christ, on top of a shit-ton of money he already had, and has since been involved with a couple of decent grossing hits, he's a silent investor in a lot of projects.

That crap Hollywood spouts about inclusion and #metoo at the Oscars and Golden Globes is obviously mostly bullshit. When those people need $$$, or someone to plug a funding hole, they'll get in bed with Mel all day long. Do a little research on fossil fuel moguls investing in Hollywood. These people cry about the environment all day long and then take checks from TX oil barons.

Mel gets a pass in Hollywood because Hollywood is nihilistic. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the folks in whose projects he invests grovel for it. (Never get drinks or food with Hollywood sorts. T Rex arms when the check comes.)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #49
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Mel has 9 lives in regard to this stuff. First was the "I'm not an ant-Semite... I'm an alcoholic." Then it was, "I'm not a racist... I have a rage problem."

My guess is, given he made like $300mil off Passion of the Christ, on top of a shit-ton of money he already had, and has since been involved with a couple of decent grossing hits, he's a silent investor in a lot of projects.

That crap Hollywood spouts about inclusion and #metoo at the Oscars and Golden Globes is obviously mostly bullshit. When those people need $$$, or someone to plug a funding hole, they'll get in bed with Mel all day long. Do a little research on fossil fuel moguls investing in Hollywood. These people cry about the environment all day long and then take checks from TX oil barons.

Mel gets a pass in Hollywood because Hollywood is nihilistic. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the folks in whose projects he invests grovel for it. (Never get drinks or food with Hollywood sorts. T Rex arms when the check comes.)
Google Mel Gibson girlfriend voicemail- for him to be front and center at #metoo Oscars was obscene.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #50
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I know you don't Facebook, but I think you can access this without an account: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00008083698763 If you can't, let me know and I'll cut /paste in a PM for you.

This has to do with Liam Neeson thing, but I think it comes down to "how are you today?" This particular author comes down on the side of "clearly he is appalled at his past behavior and has learned something from it" with regard to Neeson. It's going to come down to a case-by-case basis, I think. With Warren, I think she's handled this entire issue badly, and so it's going to dog her for quite some time. With Northam, he fumbled right out of the gate and hasn't recovered. We'll see what happens with the AG guy. Since he's the one bringing it forward and presumably he's seen the mess Northam made, maybe he'll be able to present it better and convince the world that that isn't him anymore.

But as the piece above says, there are a shit-ton of people out there with downright racist pasts. Republicans don't seem to care as much about whether their candidates were (or are) racist/sexist/xenophobic/etc. I would have said they have a Jesus litmus test, but, well, Trump. Democrats do. But they don't know how to handle people who evolve.

I think a lot of it goes to the fact that no one deserves to be on top. NO ONE. And for each of the "oops, I wore blackface" idiots out there, there are plenty of perfectly good replacements who not once even considered it. And often they are the very people who the idiot was marginalizing/mocking/disparaging.
With Liam I can see one's surrounding being a thing- poor white neighborhoods are some hateful places to grow up in- like my 'rents were racist given my standards, but when I think back and compare them to my friends' parents growing up in my neighborhood they were some evolved people- so I guess one can take that into account compared to some rich kid walking around Charlottesville with a torch?

The problem with "who gets a pass" is that Dems seem to have a different standard for Dems then for R's, and R's do the opposite (as Ty said it is political as all hell), and then mix in "why does white guy Hank get to have an opinion on Liam?" Remember someone getting hit with second hand me-too when he said that someone's #metoo thing wasn't as bad as some other guy's so he gives the less bad guy a pass? Then he was in shit for saying that (forget who it was). Then mix in do all women/black people get to set subjective standards that all have to be met? Like some black people are saying maybe the gov is net positive enough to get a pass- whereas Al Sharpton is "fuck him." It seems the Trump model of "fuck that I'm staying" is the only sure course, but a wrong one?

And, as to the governor, listen to him on his Michael Jackson comments- he gives advice about putting shoe polish on one's face in a way that sure seems to imply lessons learned from repeated past applications.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 02-07-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #51
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Nah, people love a redemption story. The second-place candidate for mayor, and a sitting state legislator, was convicted of felony burglary (at 19) and talks about his past as part of his story. Yeah, you guessed, he's a white guy.

Our immediately past mayor talked about her history of depression. But she didn't get re-elected and, yeah, white.

no offense but I've spent time in Minneapolis lately, aren't all your city level and state level elected officials white? And you are saying a black official can't get a pass on crimes? #marionberryandkwamekilpatricksaywha?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #52
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
The problem with "who gets a pass" is that Dems seem to have a different standard for Dems then for R's, and R's do the opposite ...
Like, how do you figure? Pretty much everyone has called on Northam to resign. Franken resigned.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #53
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Like, how do you figure? Pretty much everyone has called on Northam to resign. Franken resigned.
I don't agree with all of Franken's politics, but he was reasonable, and he knew how to get a point across. He is sorely missed and needed. Every time I hear his name, I'm annoyed. The only solace is that Gillibrand, the Brutus in that production, has as much chance of being elected President as she does of developing prostate cancer.

May her unrealized ambition (and she has a relentless ego) eat her alive.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #54
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
no offense but I've spent time in Minneapolis lately, aren't all your city level and state level elected officials white?
Nope. City council includes two black trans people, two black men (one of whom is an immigrant) and a latina. My state senator is an immigrant latina. The AG is a black muslim man. Lieutenant governor is Native American.

Quote:
And you are saying a black official can't get a pass on crimes?
If you don't think white people have an easier time overcoming their past in America, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
#marionberryandkwamekilpatricksaywha?
You're talking about elections in majority black cities.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #55
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I don't agree with all of Franken's politics, but he was reasonable, and he knew how to get a point across. He is sorely missed and needed. Every time I hear his name, I'm annoyed. The only solace is that Gillibrand, the Brutus in that production, has as much chance of being elected President as she does of developing prostate cancer.

Imagine my surprised that you went full misogynist with this one.

Dude had credible allegations against him, made his own decision (and the right one), and was called out by a whole slew of his colleagues not named Gillibrand.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #56
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Google Mel Gibson girlfriend voicemail- for him to be front and center at #metoo Oscars was obscene.
Hollywood's moral posturing runs as deep as its pockets, which aren't very deep. Mel can sit wherever he wants because he has the kind of money that allows him to tell most of the clowns and jerkoffs in those rooms what to do.

He could make half of that room wax his car and pick up his laundry if he felt like it, and they'd do it. #festivaloffrivolouspeople

ETA: I heard the tape. Years ago. The man is a psychopath.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 02-07-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #57
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Imagine my surprised that you went full misogynist with this one.

Dude had credible allegations against him, made his own decision (and the right one), and was called out by a whole slew of his colleagues not named Gillibrand.
What's misogynist there? (Except in your head?)

Franken was accused of being a bit skeevy, and he took a really dumb picture, years ago. Keep up this purity campaign and see how it goes for the Democrats. It's possibly the one really dipshit thing the party can do to fuck up what should be an easy win in 2020.

What Franken did is nowhere near what Northam did. Not even close. That sort of false equivalence is just the sort of thing the GOP is praying for over the next 21 months: https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...general-224820
Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #58
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

The Kavanaugh hearings would have been disastrous for the Dems if he'd been on the judiciary committee. I really loved him as a Senator, but there were EIGHT accusations.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #59
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
The problem with "who gets a pass" is that Dems seem to have a different standard for Dems then for R's, and R's do the opposite (as Ty said it is political as all hell), and then mix in "why does white guy Hank get to have an opinion on Liam?" Remember someone getting hit with second hand me-too when he said that someone's #metoo thing wasn't as bad as some other guy's so he gives the less bad guy a pass? Then he was in shit for saying that (forget who it was). Then mix in do all women/black people get to set subjective standards that all have to be met? Like some black people are saying maybe the gov is net positive enough to get a pass- whereas Al Sharpton is "fuck him." It seems the Trump model of "fuck that I'm staying" is the only sure course, but a wrong one?
Yeah, the Democrats eat their own alive. When a GOP legislator gets caught in blackface, or accused of groping, the Democrats scream for his head. But realizing that will go nowhere, the Democrats give up, and the guy stays.

But when the Democrats have a guy like Franken in their sights, the opportunists in the party take out a potential Presidential competitor, and the bloodthirsty sorts see a way to actually topple a politician -- something they can't do to a GOP legislator. To satisfy that urge and flex their muscles, they take out their own.

It's like beating the shit out of your own players in scrimmages while losing repeatedly to other teams.

The Democrats need to develop some sensible scale of sins and appropriate punishments. I think Northam needs to go. So does the Atty. general. I think Franken needed to be publicly censured.

I think anyone suggesting what Northam did is equivalent to what Franken did needs to get a grip.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #60
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
The Kavanaugh hearings would have been disastrous for the Dems if he'd been on the judiciary committee. I really loved him as a Senator, but there were EIGHT accusations.
He should have been removed from his committees as punishment. That seems fair to me.