LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 127
0 members and 127 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #2896
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: It was the wrong thread

I'm not impressed that Skadden was helping Yanukovych justify the prosecution of Tymoshenko.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #2897
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
On a similar note, I am Not Impressed that Mayer Brown is representing the plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the city of Glendale about a statue honoring Korean "comfort women." Hurt feelings and historical truth? I doubt they would represent a German-American Holocaust denier (or a Turkish-American Armenian genocide denier, or an WASP Potato Famine denier, etc.) in a similar action.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #2898
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
On a similar note, I am Not Impressed that Mayer Brown is representing the plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the city of Glendale about a statue honoring Korean "comfort women." Hurt feelings and historical truth? I doubt they would represent a German-American Holocaust denier (or a Turkish-American Armenian genocide denier, or an WASP Potato Famine denier, etc.) in a similar action.
I'm not sure which is worse -- the side they are taking, or that they are advancing the notion that erecting a statue somehow "infringes upon the federal government's power to exclusively conduct the foreign affairs of the United States and violates the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution.”
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #2899
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd Finch View Post
I'm not sure which is worse -- the side they are taking, or that they are advancing the notion that erecting a statue somehow "infringes upon the federal government's power to exclusively conduct the foreign affairs of the United States and violates the supremacy clause of the U.S. Constitution.”
I was prepared to make the same point - regardless of the morality in supporting this plaintiff, the arguments are so legally flimsy that Mayer Brown should be shamed for that alone.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #2900
Not Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
I was prepared to make the same point - regardless of the morality in supporting this plaintiff, the arguments are so legally flimsy that Mayer Brown should be shamed for that alone.
Agree with you and Sidd that their legal basis seems a bit, well, weak.

Though I do note that if their theory is successful, I will be able to represent the ACLU of Podunkville in suing to remove the ("Fifteen ... [crash!] Oy! Ten!") Commandments from the courthouse lobby because it implies that the state is taking a foreign policy position vis a vis Israel and the Palestinians, which is something reserved to the federal government.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #2901
Sidd Finch
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Agree with you and Sidd that their legal basis seems a bit, well, weak.

Though I do note that if their theory is successful, I will be able to represent the ACLU of Podunkville in suing to remove the ("Fifteen ... [crash!] Oy! Ten!") Commandments from the courthouse lobby because it implies that the state is taking a foreign policy position vis a vis Israel and the Palestinians, which is something reserved to the federal government.
Yup. And next time a city or county or state names a public building, road, or anything else after a political or military figure that I don't like, WHAM! I'm suing their ass.

Hell, if I sue San Francisco for having a "Bush" street, the city might just default (but I won't mess with Noriega and Ortega).
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #2902
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Yup. And next time a city or county or state names a public building, road, or anything else after a political or military figure that I don't like, WHAM! I'm suing their ass.

Hell, if I sue San Francisco for having a "Bush" street, the city might just default (but I won't mess with Noriega and Ortega).
I’ve never felt closer to you than I do right now.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #2903
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Quote:
Hell, if I sue San Francisco for having a "Bush" street, the city might just default
I double dog dare you. I'll even buy your "war paint."
SlaveNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #2904
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
I am not saying that Koreans were not exploited in that war. However, I do want to remind you, as 1 or 3 socks posting here that do trials, we might want to be cautious to chastise another lawyer for advancing a somewhat questionable position.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #2905
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
if I give you the phone numbers of several law firms defending the infringers of my client's very very successful consumer product, would you call them and counsel them to this point?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #2906
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

"Lawyers for the doctors deny wrongdoing but 'declined to answer questions about specifics in the suit, including whether the man had a penis when he left the hospital.'"
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #2907
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Footnote OTD:

Old 09-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #2908
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Worked at PFE back in the day. Best office décor evah. See, e.g., employer supplied Fargo show globes (complete with wood chipper and faux blood on snow), Usual Suspects movie posters on wall, etc.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #2909
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley View Post
worked at pfe back in the day. Best office décor evah. See, e.g., employer supplied fargo show globes (complete with wood chipper and faux blood on snow), usual suspects movie posters on wall, etc.
pfe=?
Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #2910
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
pfe=?
By simply using basic deductive reasoning, PFE= PolyGram Filmed Entertainment.

What do I win?