LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 224
0 members and 224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #2971
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Re: A Little Help From My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
And the friends I have here and at home have boosted my spirits a thousand time. I am grateful to be able to call all of you friend.
You and Sidd were the second and third people from the Boards who I met IRL. At the time, it felt like I was being inducted into a secret society, which as you know is the kind of thing that causes an endorphin flood in me. In retrospect I might have quit while I was ahead, but please know you're very dear to me even though we've only met once. I look forward to buying you a martini the next time you're in SF (or its better neighbors).
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #2972
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: A Friendly Correction for those Man-Haters who Delve to be Single

Quote:
I have always wanted to visit Santorini. It has been suggested that the fabled city of Atlantis was created when an earthquake caused a large portion of the island to disappear under the sea.
Would like to find an island with just enough to keep my family entertained for two weeks. Nice beaches, decent (or better) food, not too many drunken Brits (NTTAWWT), a few ruins, etc.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #2973
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Re: A Little Help From My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Grinch View Post
You and Sidd were the second and third people from the Boards who I met IRL. At the time, it felt like I was being inducted into a secret society, which as you know is the kind of thing that causes an endorphin flood in me. In retrospect I might have quit while I was ahead, but please know you're very dear to me even though we've only met once. I look forward to buying you a martini the next time you're in SF (or its better neighbors).
I look forward to taking you up on that. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #2974
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Would like to find an island with just enough to keep my family entertained for two weeks. Nice beaches, decent (or better) food, not too many drunken Brits (NTTAWWT), a few ruins, etc.
The best Greek restaurant in Chicago, not a small boast, since half of all restaurants in Chicago are owned or run by Greeks, is called Santorini. The island is reputed to have the finest shrimp and octopus in all the Aegean. And it is (or was at one time) considered the most sedate of the Greek Isles.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #2975
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
I have always wanted to visit Santorini. It has been suggested that the fabled city of Atlantis was created when an earthquake caused a large portion of the island to disappear under the sea.
Santorini is seriously one of my favorite places on Earth. My first trip there was at age 23, the second at age 39 which puts me on target to visit again around age 55.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #2976
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinty_McFlint View Post
Santorini is seriously one of my favorite places on Earth. My first trip there was at age 23, the second at age 39 which puts me on target to visit again around age 55.

Me 3 on favorite place on Earth. I went after the Bar Exam, so before the dawn of man essentially. It's so gorgeous. Cobble stone roads. Amazing views from everywhere. Freshly caught octopus grilled before you at the beach. Just heaven.

Last edited by Paisley; 10-22-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #2977
Paisley

Quote:
Oh, and one evening while I was there, my travelling companions and I hosted a party at the villa we had rented. Unbeknownst to us, that evening was apparently the anniversary of the fabled volcano that caused Atlantis to drop beneath the sea. In celebration there was much live music and, even better, a huge firework show that was launched from the remaining bit of island visible in the ocean directly across from us. It was spectacular.

Can I tag along on the trip?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #2978
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Any advice on vacationing in Greece?
Not a lot that's non-obvious. There should be pictures on my Facebook. I think. A few thoughts:

- ferries work well for island hopping. You need to check the schedule a day ahead, because it does change, but you certainly don't need a cruise to do islands.

- everyone goes to Mykonos and Santorini. Everyone is right and you should too.

- try to arrive at Santorini by boat from which you can see your surroundings. Entering the caldera from the inside is spectacular. The walk/hike from Fira to Io is challenging but worth it for the views.

- my next favorite island might have been Naxos. Mostly for the nice young lady fom Düsseldorf who ran a pub with German beer and the rugged countryside. This is an island where you want to get out of the city and explore a bit.

- overall, prepare yourself for the fact that every restaurant proprietor is going to talk you into stopping. Be prepared to ignore the. Or have them keep talking to you.

- there are both good and bad things about Crete. We like Chania. We did not at all like the archeological sigt whose name I'm blanking on, which was a weird combination of real stuff and attempts to rebuild it. But it's a big island and we didn't come close to covering it all.

- I've only done Athens and some islands, but I'd be interested in the mountain/rock top monetary from For Your Eyes Only, the name of which escapes me right now.

- in Athens we stayed at a hotel in the plaka. The rooftop views of the Parthenon, especially at night, were totally worth it.

- try some grilled octopus. I don't know what they did to it, but what we had, I think on Naxos, as absolutely delicious.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #2979
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Sounds like you want Crete, if you want to stay in one place. I guess that would be okay, but it's not what I would want to do.

Not that normal people want to do what I want to do.

I see others have said Santorini. I would get very bored with two weeks there, but if you're only going to one island, maybe you can make it work. There's an archeological site up the mountain (my party wussed out because it was actually cold up there in May so I only took a quick spin). There are black sand beaches on the exterior side. There are at least two towns on the edge of the caldera (the island is a vulcano that broke open and let the sea in during an earthquake something like 5000 bc). And I think there are ways to visit the smaller islands that used to be part of the volcano too. It would be my first priority in the Cyclades.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #2980
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Sounds like you want Crete, if you want to stay in one place. I guess that would be okay, but it's not what I would want to do.

I see others have said Santorini. I would get very bored with two weeks there, but if you're only going to one island, maybe you can make it work. There's an archeological site up the mountain (my party wussed out because it was actually cold up there in May so I only took a quick spin). There are black sand beaches on the exterior side. There are at least two towns on the edge of the caldera (the island is a vulcano that broke open and let the sea in during an earthquake something like 5000 bc). And I think there are ways to visit the smaller islands that used to be part of the volcano too. It would be my first priority in the Cyclades.
why would anyone go to Greece when you can go to Southern Italy?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #2981
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
why would anyone go to Greece when you can go to Southern Italy?
Because you can do both.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #2982
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Because you can do both.
Travel agent advised against this for my honeymoon. Wanted to do Amalfi Coast and Santorini and she said it would be too much. But we only had 9-10 days.

Now I want to go back to the Amalfi Coast. Right now.

Last edited by Did you just call me Coltrane?; 10-23-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #2983
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

I really need to get to the islands, and to Crete, and Cyprus, too....

Athens is one of my favorite cities, but I haven't gotten to see much of Greece outside it. I just love having museums open until 11 and having dinner afterwards. A client has a place on Naxos to which I keep getting invited. Eat much Halloumi.

Looks like I'll have a trip to Sicily next May. Taormina. We're also looking at a trip to Egypt in the winter. As long as people are giving out fancy travel suggestions.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #2984
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:

Not just black sand beaches, white sand and red sand beaches too--not soft white sand like Hawaii or Bora Bora, but unique nonetheless. My personal opinion is that from a scenery standpoint, it's just incredibly beautiful--there may be other places like it in Greece, but there's nothing remotely close to it the rest of the world. I'll admit, my view is extremely biased because of my experience the first time there, but it really is spectacular. Two weeks might get old--but it depends on what type of vacation you're looking for. If you're into relaxing and not doing much other than walking around, sunning and eating, it could work.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #2985
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
Oh, and one evening while I was there, my travelling companions and I hosted a party at the villa we had rented. Unbeknownst to us, that evening was apparently the anniversary of the fabled volcano that caused Atlantis to drop beneath the sea. In celebration there was much live music and, even better, a huge firework show that was launched from the remaining bit of island visible in the ocean directly across from us. It was spectacular.

Can I tag along on the trip?
But, of course.