LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 249
0 members and 249 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #2108
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Soooo, this is probably better a Facebook post, but it involves a gift certificate for acupuncture my son got me. 1 session with this Chinese healing clinic. I'm 57 and I run, so I always have something that hurts. The past months my knee has been bad.

I go in and this woman's place is full of alternative healing machines. And she starts with a tongue swab that tells me my ph is dangerously low and I should buy some very expensive "green supplements." Now that seemed a quack move, and once I had access to the interwebs I confirmed it was.

But acupuncture is a real thing, I think. And she stuck the needles in and it felt good. It was a relaxing hour. And now, 5 days later, my knee feels better.

But I can't shake the fact that it started with a scam. How can she be a real medical person? And I had always thought that the needles going in would need to be precise, like it would take a minute to find the exact spot, but she just quickly stuck them in. Maybe she is a complete fake: but it seems to have worked?

Anyone have acupuncture? Successful? Did em take time to find the right spot, or was general area good enough?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #2109
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Soooo, this is probably better a Facebook post, but it involves a gift certificate for acupuncture my son got me. 1 session with this Chinese healing clinic. I'm 57 and I run, so I always have something that hurts. The past months my knee has been bad.

I go in and this woman's place is full of alternative healing machines. And she starts with a tongue swab that tells me my ph is dangerously low and I should buy some very expensive "green supplements." Now that seemed a quack move, and once I had access to the interwebs I confirmed it was.

But acupuncture is a real thing, I think. And she stuck the needles in and it felt good. It was a relaxing hour. And now, 5 days later, my knee feels better.

But I can't shake the fact that it started with a scam. How can she be a real medical person? And I had always thought that the needles going in would need to be precise, like it would take a minute to find the exact spot, but she just quickly stuck them in. Maybe she is a complete fake: but it seems to have worked?

Anyone have acupuncture? Successful? Did em take time to find the right spot, or was general area good enough?
I dunno. Send me $50 amazon card and I can give you an answer,
Old 01-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #2110
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

I've done acupuncture for fertility. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17264833) I got pregnant two months after I started it, but wasn't able to maintain the pregnancy. I kept going after I miscarried, but I wasn't able to get pregnant again. Depending on the time of the month, she'd have different needles in different parts of my arms, hands, legs and feet and sometimes my head. I went enough times to tell where the needles were going to go, and they were pretty much exactly in the same place every time.

I did sometimes have a shoulder issue that would flare up and she'd take care of it too. I was always amazed at how good it felt after the needles. I do know that there is scientific evidence on the effects of acupuncture on fertility and some pain and depression. See NIH discussion of the literature here. With fertility, stress reduction is really important, and acupuncture is excellent for that, but I do know that many physicians encourage their patients who are undergoing IVF to go to an acupuncturist too.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #2111
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

Acupuncture was a life saver for me for both pain management and controlling nausea under chemo. It's been somewhat helpful for neuropathy, but not as significant. It has been tremendous for my son dealing with migraines, but only moderately successful for my daughter with the same set of issues.

We've found some acupuncturists to be much better than others, and some people take to it more than others do.

But lots of acupuncturists try to make some added money selling you anything from snake-oil to perfumed candles to new-age muzak. I don't think acupuncture pays that well. The person we use most does none of that stuff, he's very straightforward and professional.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #2112
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

I have a herniated disk, and I have done acupuncture to help. The typical acupuncture (small needles left in for a while) feels good and is relaxing and seems to help, but it is honestly hard to tell if I would feel different if I did not do it. But at the same time, she uses longer needles to release specific muscles (basically trick them into firing with the needle) and that definitely works. When I have had particularly bad back spasms, it is the only thing that actually gets my back muscles to loosen up a bit.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #2113
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Grenada

I realize there are mostly crickets here, but I thought I would ask my question nonetheless.

(BTW, Hank, we did acupuncture in 2005 and 2009, I think, so check the archive. Short answer, it works. No one knows why. Read "The Web that Has no Weaver." It's informative).

On to my question. We are thinking about going to Grenada in a few weeks. It looks really nice (and warm). Has anyone been and did they enjoy it? I know little about Grenada other than (a) Reagan invaded there when I was about 14, (b) it smells generally spicy because of all the nutmeg produced there, and (c) Americans don't tend to go there. Also, I read Wikipedia. Note that when I go on beach vacations, I generally just like to sit on the beach and swim in the ocean, and eat and drink and have sex (not all in that order, although sometimes). I am not generally into ziplines and long hikes (although I do like waterfalls).

I hate posting questions like these on FB, so any thoughts from anyone who still posts here would be appreciated.
greatwhitenorthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #2115
Not Bob

I'm really disappointed that I won't be able to celebrate another Super Bowl victory with the Raiders this year. It's been a while.

Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote