LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 219
0 members and 219 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #781
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Show me the way to the next whiskey bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
I like decent blended Scotch fine, but I prefer Irish, bourbon/sour mash, rye, and Japanese Scotch to the single malt stuff. Like with wine, I can’t tell the difference between single malts and good blends (unless it’s one of those single malts that taste like dirt or used charcoal).

Taste is subjective.
I’ve won the Moth 15 Times in 8 cities. When I say something accept it as objective fact. I am the voice of the common man, a working class hero. Think of me as Thurgreed, just with a pleasing personality.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #782
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
I like decent blended Scotch fine, but I prefer Irish, bourbon/sour mash, rye, and Japanese Scotch to the single malt stuff. Like with wine, I can’t tell the difference between single malts and good blends (unless it’s one of those single malts that taste like dirt or used charcoal).

Taste is subjective.

https://goo.gl/images/NYB4ei

Lessin Cascade Hollow, Tullahoma, Tennessee
Old 05-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #783
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

Taste is subjective.
Sometimes I feel like this sock was designed solely to make me periodically experience a bottomless sense of disappointment.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #784
Not Bob

Mister, I ain’t a boy; no, I’m a man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Sometimes I feel like this sock was designed solely to make me periodically experience a bottomless sense of disappointment.
I’m sorry. Does this help?

40 Years Later: Was 1978 The Greatest Year In Music?

From the article:

In '78, Grease was the word, The Village Voice named This Year's Model by Elvis Costello as the album of the year, Kate Bush, The Cars, Devo, Dire Straits, The B-52's, The Police, Buzzcocks and Van Halen released their debut albums. The Clash delivered their powerful Give 'Em Enough Rope, The Boss dropped his classic Darkness on the Edge of Town, The Rolling Stones returned to peak form with Some Girls, Warren Zevon's perennial favorite Excitable Boy and Patti Smith's commercial hit Easter were all over the radio. Blondie released two albums, The Doobie Brothers' released their yacht rock classic, "What A Fool Believes," Marvin Gaye released his divorce record, Here, My Dear, and Cheap Trick rocked one of the great live albums of all time 1978 was a swirling mass of genres; disco, punk, funk, R&B, rock, and New Wave all banging beautifully into each other as the seeds of hip-hop were being sown, ready to take on the world in 1979.

While a young Not Bob was rocking to Live at Budokan, a lot of music I would only discover in 1982 (thank you, Punk Rock Girl, for Elvis and the Police) was released in 1978.

I’m not sure I buy the argument, but it turns out that 1978 was a pretty damn good year for music. Check out the accompanying Spotify playlist.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #785
Pretty Little Flower

Re: Mister, I ain’t a boy; no, I’m a man.

Quote:

From the article:

In '78, Grease was the word, The Village Voice named This Year's Model by Elvis Costello as the album of the year, Kate Bush, The Cars, Devo, Dire Straits, The B-52's, The Police, Buzzcocks and Van Halen released their debut albums. The Clash delivered their powerful Give 'Em Enough Rope, The Boss dropped his classic Darkness on the Edge of Town, The Rolling Stones returned to peak form with Some Girls, Warren Zevon's perennial favorite Excitable Boy and Patti Smith's commercial hit Easter were all over the radio. Blondie released two albums, The Doobie Brothers' released their yacht rock classic, "What A Fool Believes," Marvin Gaye released his divorce record, Here, My Dear, and Cheap Trick rocked one of the great live albums of all time 1978 was a swirling mass of genres; disco, punk, funk, R&B, rock, and New Wave all banging beautifully into each other as the seeds of hip-hop were being sown, ready to take on the world in 1979.

While a young Not Bob was rocking to Live at Budokan, a lot of music I would only discover in 1982 (thank you, Punk Rock Girl, for Elvis and the Police) was released in 1978.

I’m not sure I buy the argument, but it turns out that 1978 was a pretty damn good year for music. Check out the accompanying Spotify playlist.
Yes, super helpful. Why don't you tell me again how great that fucking godawful abomination of a song "Alison" is. And let me guess - you admired the tight musicianship of Dire Straits and considered them to be as quietly subversive in their own way as Steely Dan. And can anybody listen to the Police any more without thinking of Sting in the throes of a four hour tantric orgasm? But a year that delivers a Doobie Brothers yacht rock classic can't be all bad, right?

I am not sorry.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #786
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

From the article:

Listening to Cheap Trick in 1978 MIGHT be forgivable, as some sorry bad slide one might have been on as a child. But mentioning it 40 years later, and as “the best live album ever?” You’re beginning to sound like a Penske replacement for PPNYC. And almost every other band mentioned was either a short term novelty (devo?) or proof that Cannibis is very very bad ( the Doobie Brothers?) and Give em enough rope was at best the third best record from a band that made 4? And Some Girls? Some Girls? Nwtaf?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #787
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Yes, super helpful. Why don't you tell me again how great that fucking godawful abomination of a song "Alison" is. And let me guess - you admired the tight musicianship of Dire Straits and considered them to be as quietly subversive in their own way as Steely Dan. And can anybody listen to the Police any more without thinking of Sting in the throes of a four hour tantric orgasm? But a year that delivers a Doobie Brothers yacht rock classic can't be all bad, right?
As a piece of understanding, flower’s younger sister, who had the higher IQ/SAT scores, better looking, she’s a doctor but still juggling it all to raise kids while managing the practice and where family dinners with the ‘rents always go to her talking about the lives she saved that week , and before flower brings up his latest dirt bicycle riding crash? I believe she was born in ‘78?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #788
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: We are all Slave now.

So Obama goes to my home town twice. It's his economy that brings it from the highest unemployment rate in the nation to the lowest. In March 2009 it was at 20%. By the time Trump was inaugurated it was at 3%.

And now Trump is there right now taking credit for it (I actually don't know if he's doing this but I assume so - no way I'm watching). In my middle school gym. Where I taunted Shawn Kemp as an 8th grader.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #789
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

From the article:

Still White After All These Years.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #790
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Listening to Cheap Trick in 1978 MIGHT be forgivable, as some sorry bad slide one might have been on as a child. But mentioning it 40 years later, and as “the best live album ever?” You’re beginning to sound like a Penske replacement for PPNYC. And almost every other band mentioned was either a short term novelty (devo?) or proof that Cannibis is very very bad ( the Doobie Brothers?) and Give em enough rope was at best the third best record from a band that made 4? And Some Girls? Some Girls? Nwtaf?
In defense of Some Girls: Not the best album by far, but has some serious rockers on it. The song "Some Girls" may be the best distillation of 70s-era sleaze ever. And the cover was fucking hilarious.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #791
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Toto is on that playlist. Toto. I understand that every year has its dogs, but any playlist that is trying to convince me that this particular year might be the best ever for music should NOT contain Toto. I'm stunned that this self-evident truth even needs to be put into writing.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #792
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Toto is on that playlist. Toto. I understand that every year has its dogs, but any playlist that is trying to convince me that this particular year might be the best ever for music should NOT contain Toto. I'm stunned that this self-evident truth even needs to be put into writing.
The dog?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #793
Hank Chinaski

Re: We are all Slave now.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Fringey and I had been able to keep dating. Too soon?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #794
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Dire Straits had few songs. Most of what they had were loose jams offered to allow one to listen to Knopfler's excellent solos. "Sultans," one of their few truly great tunes, includes one of the greatest solos in history.

The Police wore out their welcome for me by the late 80s. But I still love the drumming. Copeland's a badass.

Adolph Hitler, Idi Amin, and Saddam Hussein are all listening to yacht rock right now. And they will do so for eternity. Upon his death, Michael McDonald will be the DJ for that circle of hell.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #795
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
In defense of Some Girls: Not the best album by far, but has some serious rockers on it. The song "Some Girls" may be the best distillation of 70s-era sleaze ever. And the cover was fucking hilarious.
"Some Girls" #songsyoucouldneverevereverreleasetoday

It's no Let it Bleed or Exile, but consider:

"Before the Make Me Run"
"Shattered"
"Respectable"
"Miss You"
"Beast of Burden" (I hate this song, but respect it.)

That was a damn fine offering. Possibly #5 after their Big Four.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-11-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Closed Thread