LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 205
0 members and 205 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #2386
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Running and/or cardio every day did NOTHING for me until I reduced the calories. For me to burn off the calories from a Culver's butterburger and large custard, I'd have to run from NY to Chicago and back.
I should lose 10 lbs. If i stopped drinking I'd lose it. If i stopped eating at restaurants I'd lose 10 more. what i did stop was sweets, so no custard. And of course I wouldn't eat a butter burger more than every few months. Have you seen the people in Wisconsin?
Old 06-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #2387
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
This. The only time I lost significant weight running was when I was training for marathons and running 40-60 miles per week. It's mostly diet.
It's all diet. Exercise helps you feel good, which reinforces things.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #2388
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I should lose 10 lbs. If i stopped drinking I'd lose it. If i stopped eating at restaurants I'd lose 10 more. what i did stop was sweets, so no custard. And of course I wouldn't eat a butter burger more than every few months. Have you seen the people in Wisconsin?
Yes. I once went to shop at the old JC Penny's Wearhouse. Because I was just a single XL I had to shop in the Petite section.

Actually heard "Man, you know your man can't fit into no 3x -- he's a 5x on skinny day."
Old 06-03-2018, 12:37 AM   #2389
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I've lost about 65 pounds in the last 16 months. It's mostly diet, but exercise is also critical for me.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #2390
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I've lost about 65 pounds in the last 16 months. It's mostly diet, but exercise is also critical for me.
Serious questio to both you and Icky - what happened with all the excess skin?
Old 06-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #2391
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Serious questio to both you and Icky - what happened with all the excess skin?
For me, 60 lbs in a year and a half didn't leave me with any other than the age-normal wrinkles.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 PM   #2392
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
For me, 60 lbs in a year and a half didn't leave me with any other than the age-normal wrinkles.
Same. I have stretch marks, but that's about it.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #2393
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Yeah, I think that only happens if you do a surgery or some other drastic weight loss. I was down about 75 pounds and never had any excess skin (of course that more than a year, I think).

And yeah, it's mostly diet although some resistance exercise to add muscle mass helps too. I mostly did core stuff and pushups.

Not doing that much anymore, combined with beer, means I've about half of that back on. Man, I gotta get back on it.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #2394
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Nonsense. Just eat less when you know you’re going to have more than a few cocktails.
That's not how any of this works.

TM
ThurgreedMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #2395
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
This is mostly true. Exercise does burn calories and builds muscle which helps burn more calories (even while at rest). But doing just cardio won't help much. Putting those calorie counters on treadmills was the worst thing the exercise industry did to people. You absolutely have to do strength work.

I'm trying this keto diet thing right now, which is very interesting to me. I basically gave up dieting altogether and decided I would just eat halfway reasonably and continue to workout as hard as I've been the past few years. But a friend drops weight like it's nothing on it. And the wife dropped 7 pounds in a couple of weeks (that she doesn't need to lose, but that's a whole different argument). I've been doing it since Wednesday and have lost 4 pounds (most of it surely water weight). I'd like to see where it goes because another 6-8 pounds would reintroduce me to my abs.

But this idea of tricking your body into burning fat first instead of carbs fascinates me. And it's not like that awful Atkins diet. You can eat veggies. I've found that, even though I consider french fries and beer a vital section of foundation in the food pyramid, it's been very easy to manage so far. No sugar or carbs. But the fact the diet requires high fat levels makes up for it. And the veggies help balance out the richness. We'll see if I can keep it up. I really love beer and fries.

Also, you can have other types of alcohol, which has kept the shakes at bay.

TM
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #2396
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Awesome work both of you. Congrats.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #2397
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
That's not how any of this works.

TM
CICO. That's it. You want to gain muscle? Eat at a calorie surplus and lift heavy. You want to lose weight (but retain some of that muscle you gained)? Eat at a calorie deficit (but not too much of a deficit as you'll lose too much muscle) and lift heavy.

If you consistently eat in a deficit, you will lose weight (unless you lie to your app about what you eat or underestimate what you eat - which people do a lot).
Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #2398
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
This is mostly true. Exercise does burn calories and builds muscle which helps burn more calories (even while at rest). But doing just cardio won't help much. Putting those calorie counters on treadmills was the worst thing the exercise industry did to people. You absolutely have to do strength work.
Also, the idea that a cardio machine can give you an accurate measure of calories burned based only on how many steps or revolutions you have done (and maybe your heart rate), but without knowing your height, weight, gender, age, and resting and max heart rates is koo koo.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #2399
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
CICO. That's it. You want to gain muscle? Eat at a calorie surplus and lift heavy. You want to lose weight (but retain some of that muscle you gained)? Eat at a calorie deficit (but not too much of a deficit as you'll lose too much muscle) and lift heavy.

If you consistently eat in a deficit, you will lose weight (unless you lie to your app about what you eat or underestimate what you eat - which people do a lot).
I don't know what "CICO" means.* But I was just joking about being able to reduce food intake to counterbalance increased cocktail levels. When I drink I want to fucking EAT.

But on the substance, I think people with really fast metabolisms (like you and me) tend to give more weight to the calories in calories out model. I think it works very differently for different people. I think your body wants to be at a certain weight. And I read an article recently that said that your body will become more efficient at retaining weight the more you deprive it of calories in a drastic way, which is why people who go through The Biggest Loser type weight loss almost always fail and end up putting on more weight after the big and sudden weight loss.

I can keep all things equal when it comes to exercise and diet and eat a Reeses and add a couple of beers every day for a month and gain 2 pounds. I have a friend who would gain 20 pounds in a month if they did that.

TM

*Although spending 2 seconds thinking about it has helped me figure it out.

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 06-04-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 06-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #2400
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
beer
TM
I quit beer when I was 40. Also sweets are too transitory a pleasure, if you can look at a dessert tray- 90% of enjoyment is visual. Skip them both.