LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 44
0 members and 44 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #4351
Adder
I am beyond a rank!
 
Adder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,537
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Now, I remember. Before, not so much.
Again, I think you're thinking of Sondland, not Taylor.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #4352
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31,342
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Wrong. There was:

1. A conversation between Schiff's committee's office and WB in advance of the filing ....
If you want to pretend that we don't know anything else about that conversation, whatever, but since you are the one who posted the link to The Washington Post article that gave more details, you're not fooling anyone. Yourself, maybe.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #4353
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31,342
Re: note I said presidency, not candidacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Isn't the unstated assumption that they work with someone who isn't a black man?
I'm old enough to remember when Clinton got impeached.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #4354
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 24,407
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
If you want to pretend that we don't know anything else about that conversation, whatever, but since you are the one who posted the link to The Washington Post article that gave more details, you're not fooling anyone. Yourself, maybe.
Too true. That second hand article's condensed and paraphrased description surely included all of the details. No need to ask any additional questions or get anything on the record.

Nobody could credibly assert there's any reason to inquire further. Take the story at its word. Hearsay? Pshaw... You and your rules!
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #4355
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 24,407
Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Progressive / Liberals / Democrats' hero - John Bolton! The irony is so rich.


LessinBahrain
He's a vindictive little neocon, and his only interest is foreign interventions. Trump is as much an enemy of Bolton for his isolationism as would be any Democrat for his or her reluctance to enter wars. (Oddly, Bolton's foreign policy is closer to Hillary's than Trump's.)

Why Trump would hire him is beyond me. The guy's a war-mongering snake. I can only chalk it up, as one does with everything else, to Trump's endless stupidity and refusal to engage in any due diligence.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #4356
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31,342
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Too true. That second hand article's condensed and paraphrased description surely included all of the details. No need to ask any additional questions or get anything on the record.

Nobody could credibly assert there's any reason to inquire further. Take the story at its word. Hearsay? Pshaw... You and your rules!
Perhaps you don't know what "second hand" means?

Quote:
“He knew long before, and he helped write it, too,” Trump said at a news conference alongside Finnish President Sauli Niinisto. “The whole thing is a scam.”
An attorney for the whistleblower, whose identity has not been made public, rebutted Trump’s claim.
“Absolutely not,” attorney Mark Zaid said.
Andrew Clark, a Trump reelection campaign spokesman, questioned whether the whistleblower’s legal team coordinated with Schiff or his staff. Zaid said there was no contact between the whistleblower’s lawyers and Congress until weeks after the complaint was filed with the intelligence community’s inspector general.
A spokesman for the House Intelligence Committee, Patrick Boland, said, “Like other whistleblowers have done before and since under Republican- and Democratic-controlled committees, the whistleblower contacted the committee for guidance on how to report possible wrongdoing within the jurisdiction of the intelligence community.”
At no point, Boland said, “did the committee review or receive the complaint in advance.”
The committee staffer who interacted with the intelligence officer was given only “the very bare contours” of the allegations, said a committee aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the aide was not authorized to speak for the record. As is common when such calls are received at the committee, the staffer advised the individual to seek legal counsel and file a complaint with the inspector general — either at the officer’s home agency or with the intelligence community inspector general.
The officer — whose identity, aides said, is not known to Schiff — did just that, lodging a formal complaint with Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson on Aug. 12.
Before you were pretending there was enough to get past SJ to a trial. Now you want to re-open discovery to ask more questions and build a record. Why would a judge take you seriously?
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #4357
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31,342
Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

This deserves more attention than I can give it right now.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #4358
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 24,407
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Perhaps you don't know what "second hand" means?



Before you were pretending there was enough to get past SJ to a trial. Now you want to re-open discovery to ask more questions and build a record. Why would a judge take you seriously?
Kill me.

Review, receive, discuss. Look up those words and tell me how the third differs from the other two.

One of the two articles I cited even stated Schiff had advance notice of the accusations in the complaint. In your world, can notice only be provided by document receipt or review? I know you kids hate to use the phone these days, but I believe that, even in your locale, humans still have and occasionally exercise their vocals cords in a thing called speech. Sometimes over the phone app in your “hand computer.”

Find me the cite where the committee says they did not discuss the accusations of the complaint with the WB. Then you might win summary judgment.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #4359
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31,342
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Review, receive, discuss. Look up those words and tell me how the third differs from the other two.

One of the two articles I cited even stated Schiff had advance notice of the accusations in the complaint. In your world, can notice only be provided by document receipt or review? I know you kids hate to use the phone these days, but I believe that, even in your locale, humans still have and occasionally exercise their vocals cords in a thing called speech. Sometimes over the phone app in your “hand computer.”

Find me the cite where the committee says they did not discuss the accusations of the complaint with the WB. Then you might win summary judgment.
You are a joke. "There's no affirmative evidence specifically rebutting the stuff I made up that could have happened." You're the one who said there was evidence that Schiff orchestrated the complaint. There isn't. You're still full of shit. You could suggest that the whistleblower is Schiff's long-lost secret child, trying to please him by helping him take Trump down. Find me the cite where the committee says the whistleblower is Schiff's long-lost secret child! Try to move the goalposts however you like -- there still is not a shred of evidence that Schiff orchestrated the complaint.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #4360
Pretty Little Flower
Moderator
 
Pretty Little Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Flower
Posts: 8,068
Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
He's a vindictive little neocon, and his only interest is foreign interventions. Trump is as much an enemy of Bolton for his isolationism as would be any Democrat for his or her reluctance to enter wars. (Oddly, Bolton's foreign policy is closer to Hillary's than Trump's.)

Why Trump would hire him is beyond me. The guy's a war-mongering snake. I can only chalk it up, as one does with everything else, to Trump's endless stupidity and refusal to engage in any due diligence.
O.K., to be fair, I do not believe anything in this post to be either made up or wrong.
__________________
Inside every man lives the seed of a flower.
If he looks within he finds beauty and power.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #4361
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 24,407
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
You are a joke. "There's no affirmative evidence specifically rebutting the stuff I made up that could have happened." You're the one who said there was evidence that Schiff orchestrated the complaint. There isn't. You're still full of shit. You could suggest that the whistleblower is Schiff's long-lost secret child, trying to please him by helping him take Trump down. Find me the cite where the committee says the whistleblower is Schiff's long-lost secret child! Try to move the goalposts however you like -- there still is not a shred of evidence that Schiff orchestrated the complaint.
You're just not thinking well at the moment.

The article said the committee was advised of the accusations before the filing. Ok, well, to what extent? Unknown, and relevant. (Unless you've a clinical definition for "bare contours").* The article said also that the committee did not receive the complaint or review it in advance. This means that the method by which it transferred information to Schiff regarding the complaint in advance of its filing must be a method other than

1. By email, text, or other document stating something about the accusations in the complaint;
2. By phone call; or,
3. By direct conversation, in person.

I don't know which it is, but by the committee's own admission, a call came in, and Schiff admits that subsequent to that call, but prior to the complaint's filing, he became aware of the complaint.* So when you say I'm making up the allegation that Schiff knew about the allegations in advance and could have coordinated to ensure that he could "discover" the complaint and make it appear a cover-up, you're talking out of your ass.

The more I think about it, the more I think this actually could've been coordinated, and coordinated very well. By calling committee, WB can tip it off to the complaint. Trump's people will of course seek to cover it up. Committee can then allege not only the crime but a cover-up. If they did that, that's pretty fucking awesome. They almost deserve to see a conviction for that kind of planning and execution.

______
* ETA: Google seems to think it's soap, or porn.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 11-08-2019 at 04:41 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #4362
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31,342
Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
O.K., to be fair, I do not believe anything in this post to be either made up or wrong.
"little"?



He's not huge, but he's hardly an elf like Jeff Sessions or Dennis Kucinich.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #4363
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 31,342
Re: Whistling down the alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You're just not thinking well at the moment.

The article said the committee was advised of the accusations before the filing. Ok, well, to what extent? Unknown, and relevant. The article said also that the committee did not receive the complaint or review it in advance. This means that the method by which the committee learned of the allegations in advance - which the committee admits, and therefore I could not be making up - must be a method other than:

1. The sending of the complaint to the committee; or,
2. Showing the complaint to the committee.

So that leaves us with this question: What other way could humans transfer information regarding allegations in the complaint to each other? Well, they can do it three ways that I can think of:

1. By email, text, or other document stating something about the accusations in the complaint;
2. By phone call; or,
3. By direct conversation, in person.

I don't know which it is, but by the committee's own admission, it must be one of those three.* So when you say I'm making it up, you're talking out of your asshole.

You think you're the fact finder here. You crazy arrogant blowhard.

______
* ETA: I've eliminated ESP/telepathic transmission. Only you, His Exalted Omniscient Fact-finder, has that.
Yes, the whistleblower contacted the committee and told the staffer the "bare bones" (that's a quote from your Washington Post article), and the staffer told him or her to go to the IG. Those are the reported facts. None of that is evidence that Schiff "orchestrated" anything, which is the particularly bullshit hill you have chosen to die on.

If I stop you on the street and ask you how to get to the travel agent, and you tell me, that is not evidence that you have planned my vacation. It's possible that you did plan my vacation! But there's no evidence of that. If, for her own f*cked-up purposes, your estranged wife wants to make up a story that you planned my planned my vacation, she can. She can lie about all sorts of things, and some people may believe her, especially if they have suspended their judgment about reality because they have an axe to grind and want to buy what she's selling. But there still is no evidence that you planned my vacation.

It is hypothetically possible that Schiff orchestrated the whole thing, just as it is hypothetically possible that you owe me a million dollars because of a secret agreement we had. But there's no evidence of either, even though you and I communicate with each other all the time.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 11-08-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #4364
Pretty Little Flower
Moderator
 
Pretty Little Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Flower
Posts: 8,068
Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
"little"?



He's not huge, but he's hardly an elf like Jeff Sessions or Dennis Kucinich.
He does look a little dwarfish, though. And I took "little" to be a description of his integrity.
__________________
Inside every man lives the seed of a flower.
If he looks within he finds beauty and power.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #4365
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 84,748
Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
"little"?



He's not huge, but he's hardly an elf like Jeff Sessions or Dennis Kucinich.
he is 5'7". trump is 6'3". trump only hires people shorter than him, the shorter the better. I was short listed for Commish of Patents until they saw I was 6'11".
__________________
The conscience of Lawtalkers!
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.