LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 120
2 members and 118 guests
Hank Chinaski, LessinSF
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #2746
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Thanks Obama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
You're picking a jury. He's in your pool. Do you bounce him?
Doesn't it depend on what you're trying? In a criminal case, the prosecution would want him every time.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #2747
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Doesn't it depend on what you're trying? In a criminal case, the prosecution would want him every time.
Why? Prosecutors never want someone who understands the law, right?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #2748
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Why? Prosecutors never want someone who understands the law, right?
When I was on jury duty, a judge told me that prosecutors want someone whom the rest of the jury will listen to and follow, because then they can focus on that person.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #2749
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
When I was on jury duty, a judge told me that prosecutors want someone whom the rest of the jury will listen to and follow, because then they can focus on that person.
I was in pool for a murder trial. The evidence was scientific- carpet fibers.

The D attorney asked us the question, "given what you know now, would you find my client guilty or not guilty?" People are saying, "I haven't decided yet," or some such.

She asked me and I said, "Well given the burdens, I would have to find not guilty, that's what you're trying to teach? Sort of a cheap trick."

Then the prosecutor asked what I did, and "patent attorney" on a case involving scientific evidence got him to send me home early!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #2750
ferrets_bueller

Re: Time for a Crash

Quote:
I would find the concerns about robots a little more compelling if people proposed that we give up our robot smartphones, robot washing machines, and our robot cars, and go back to non-robot messenger boys, non-robot washer women, and non-robot horses. Yesterday's robots are all awesome -- it's only tomorrow's robots that are the problem.
You have just summarized the plot of Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut, 1952.
(Unemployed and Underemployed Revolutionaries riot, smash the robots, and them rebuild them because the robots are, you know, cool.)

The fact that the unemployed lack a certain sense of irony doesn't destroy the premise.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #2751
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
I was in pool for a murder trial. The evidence was scientific- carpet fibers.

The D attorney asked us the question, "given what you know now, would you find my client guilty or not guilty?" People are saying, "I haven't decided yet," or some such.

She asked me and I said, "Well given the burdens, I would have to find not guilty, that's what you're trying to teach? Sort of a cheap trick."

Then the prosecutor asked what I did, and "patent attorney" on a case involving scientific evidence got him to send me home early!

I went to law school with the prosecutor in the only criminal jury that I have been in the pool for. The case was plead before they got to jury selection, so she never got to bump me.

The only other jury pool I've ever been on was some sort of HOA dispute. I got bumped as soon as I said "I don't believe in HOAs." Apparently Senator Rand and I have something in common.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #2752
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
You're picking a jury. He's in your pool. Do you bounce him?
I don't. I've only been involved in civil trials as a defendant. Most of them had a science element (engineering, industrial hygiene, hydro-geology, etc.). We always wanted smart jurors.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #2753
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

I served on a jury in a criminal trial when I was a midlevel associate at Biglaw. I was shocked I didn't get bumped because I was juror 60 something in the pool, but it was a child molestation case. We gave the guy 17 years for molesting his daughter, though I and a guy from an energy company had to talk up the people that wanted to give him probation.

To date, that is still the only courtroom legal activity in which I have participated.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #2754
Pretty Little Flower

Beige 5

Nothing infuriates Pitchfork as much as the blandly successful:

"It’s this utter lack of libido that ends up making Red Pill Blues so difficult to even finish. Soft rock and sex have a tricky relationship, and so do sex and Hot 100 pop. It’s the ostensible subject, or the ultimate aim, of 99% of the material, but actual, physical copulation is a nasty rumor to most of these songs. On “Lips on You,” Levine offers, in a gentlemanly way, to go down on you; the offer might be sexier if the heart-thump of the drum programming and the new age synth didn’t sound like Sting was servicing you in a Pier 1 Imports store."

Ick.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ed-pill-blues/

I am not sorry.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #2755
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Seb Gorka FTW.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #2756
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: Beige 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Nothing infuriates Pitchfork as much as the blandly successful:

"It’s this utter lack of libido that ends up making Red Pill Blues so difficult to even finish. Soft rock and sex have a tricky relationship, and so do sex and Hot 100 pop. It’s the ostensible subject, or the ultimate aim, of 99% of the material, but actual, physical copulation is a nasty rumor to most of these songs. On “Lips on You,” Levine offers, in a gentlemanly way, to go down on you; the offer might be sexier if the heart-thump of the drum programming and the new age synth didn’t sound like Sting was servicing you in a Pier 1 Imports store."

Ick.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...ed-pill-blues/
I had to take off my belt and put it on the conveyor. And then I had to put my belt back on. Fucking Obama.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #2757
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
The goal is not to challenge them to duels, but to get them to challenge each other to duels. Let the herd thin itself.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #2758
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

caption, please

Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #2759
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I don't. I've only been involved in civil trials as a defendant. Most of them had a science element (engineering, industrial hygiene, hydro-geology, etc.). We always wanted smart jurors.
Depends on your case. My last trial I represented patentee for a patent on a caulking tube. there was a little bump of plastic on it that let air escape when the tube was filled. Ty could understand the technology is what I'm saying. A big issue was my firm made a math error when drafting the patent- it was meaningless, but Defendant made a big deal of it.

the potential jurors were asked, "have you ever gotten a patent?"

One guy says "yes." "on what?" "Several on high tech chemistry!"

I bounced that mf in a NY minute. I had a nice P And D were dirty copiers and the last thing I wanted was any juror smart enough to see past that, plus the guy said "high tech chemistry?" And my guy invented a bump on a piece of plastic? Umm nope. Plus, he seemed not the sort to forgive a math error. No jury for you!

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 11-08-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Old 11-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #2760
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
I served on a jury in a criminal trial when I was a midlevel associate at Biglaw. I was shocked I didn't get bumped because I was juror 60 something in the pool, but it was a child molestation case. We gave the guy 17 years for molesting his daughter, though I and a guy from an energy company had to talk up the people that wanted to give him probation.

To date, that is still the only courtroom legal activity in which I have participated.
A couple of weeks after starting as a 1st year litigation associate at a big firm I was put on a jury for a multiple defendant felony murder case involving 8 or so victims. I was sure I wouldn't get picked since I was a lawyer - obviously wrong. After it was all over (for me at least) I went to watch the sentencing hearing, and afterwards spoke with the defense attorneys. They said they didn't bump me because they trusted I would understand their case.
Closed Thread