LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 206
0 members and 206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #3871
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Jeff Flake

He gets up and he makes these grandiose speeches and blathers on about how democracy won't survive this blah blah blah, and then he does jack shit.* Fucking hypocrite.

*I suppose he donated to Doug Jones, but he has the ability to do something a lot more meaningful if he really believes the words that are coming out of his mouth.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #3872
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Apparently I'm obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Your obsession keeps turning up good ones. As for the encounters described in this one, we are apparently even more fucked up about sex than I thought.

Although I guess I should know that from some of what my wife has said about past relationships too.
This topic is a very interesting one to me.

I know women who have been raped. I know too many women who have been sexually assaulted. I have schooled friends and acquaintances many, many times on how differently people can react in dangerous situations--and how fighting back isn't always prudent or possible (fear often makes people just freeze) and the lack of it shouldn't be a sign of consent. Similarly, agreeing to sex isn't an automatic green light for the guy (or woman) to do whatever the fuck they want. It is absolutely amazing how many men think that once a woman wants to fuck an athlete it means she can no longer either remove consent or define exactly what type of sex she wants. I've lost friendships over arguments about Kobe fucking Bryant.

I have been in situations in which I have been aggressive (hopefully reading my partner well), I have been in positions where the woman I'm with is very aggressive. (I don't think either of us would appreciate the other person going off and blabbing to other people about it, by the way.) I've had women tell me specifically that we wouldn't be having sex at all only to have them completely and enthusiastically change their minds after getting into it hot and heavy.

I have also been in a position where I picked a woman up from a Minneapolis club (looooong ago--I was maybe 21), took her back to a friend's place with the explicit understanding that there would be some sexing, only to find out I was completely mistaken and the girl only want to fool around. She was also very young (probably 20 or 21 also) and I sat her down and told her that it was no problem, of course. But she really needed to be much more careful (hopefully without coming off as a condescending, paternalistic ass). She had no idea where she was or who I was and when we drove her home the next day, it turned out she was an hour away from her home. I was very nervous for her.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 01-17-2018 at 03:46 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #3873
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Jeff Flake

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
He gets up and he makes these grandiose speeches and blathers on about how democracy won't survive this blah blah blah, and then he does jack shit.* Fucking hypocrite.

*I suppose he donated to Doug Jones, but he has the ability to do something a lot more meaningful if he really believes the words that are coming out of his mouth.
Agreed. And he voted lock step with Republicans on that dumbass tax bill (and probably on every single bullshit Trump appointment). He's full of shit. And that particularly bothers me because I think he thinks he isn't.

TM
Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #3874
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:

So what exactly is he supposed to do?

He's getting called a Trumpist on Twitter. Short of voting with Democrats 100% of he time, what can a conservative who still has his conscience do that could satisfy you?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #3875
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: Chicago question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
There used to be some pretty divey stuff just west and toward the south of the loop, has that all been gentrified now?
Definitively west. Now it's all Michelin stars, Google offices and the new McDonald's HQ.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #3876
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post

He's getting called a Trumpist on Twitter. Short of voting with Democrats 100% of he time, what can a conservative who still has his conscience do that could satisfy you?
When Sessions announced that DOJ withdrew the Cole memo (on deferring to states that have legalized marijuana), the Republican Senator from Colorado, Cory Gardner, said he would hold up DOJ appointments:

https://twitter.com/sencorygardner/s...34654685601792

Senators have all sorts of leverage beyond the ability to make speeches.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #3877
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Quote:

Perhaps not vote for a tax bill that adds trillions to the deficit.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #3878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I think Wicker is a place for funky more than dive. It's been years since I frequented Chicago, but back in the day the true dives were out at the edges of the city - the ethnic neighborhoods in the far Northwest or Southwest and the African American catfish joints down in South Chicago. There were a couple I liked in my own 'hood, Rogers' Park, but last time I was there most of them had been upscaled and funkified.
75 cent hard boiled eggs at Richards. And they encourage smoking - I have no idea how they get away with that.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #3879
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
If your argument is that no one should have any expectation of privacy until you are in a very serious relationship, you're fucking crazy.
My argument is that if you are a jerk to a women you are trying to sleep with, you shouldn't expect that to stay private, especially if you're famous.

My observation is that if you expect your exes and hook ups to keep all of your foibles secret, you're going to be disappointed. Thankfully, they aren't of much interest to many people so you won't see them in the paper.

But fundamentally I'm saying Ansari is not a victim here.

Quote:
If you're saying that Aziz Ansari should have absolutely no expectation of privacy in any of his relationships without marriage or an NDA (and maybe you're not saying that, but I have nothing to go on), I'd say that's a pretty unfair position.
Let's say he sincerely thought she wouldn't tell anyone about it. So what? He obviously has no ability to stop her from telling anyone.

Quote:
But that doesn't mean that they shouldn't expect some level of privacy with people they are intimate with.
As I said, we all obviously expect people to be decent, but we don't have recourse if they're not (and truthful).
Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #3880
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Definitively west. Now it's all Michelin stars, Google offices and the new McDonald's HQ.
Out around Wrigley is pretty good, yes? i was at a bar on Michigan across from the theater where Dillinger bought it. Along Michigan in that area there were several nice bars.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #3881
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Did he forego any expectation of privacy because he's a celebrity, because he treated her in a way she didn't like, or because the important of having a conversation to change sexual mores trumps any personal interests he might have?
He doesn't have any expectation of privacy to begin with. What are you talking about? She is free to reveal whatever about him. As long as she's not lying, he can't do anything about it. Where does she get a duty not to embarrass him? She doesn't.

You can think she's a bad person, I guess, but I don't because he treated her in a way that she felt was violative and I don't think that's entirely unreasonable and because of the important conversation.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #3882
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Perhaps not vote for a tax bill that adds trillions to the deficit.
Tax cuts are a pretty core Republican staple. But I am sure you'd love him if he just cast that one vote differently.

Of course I would prefer it not add to the deficit, and it was a crappier bill than it had to be, but we could also remedy the deficit/debt issue with a conservative solution to the spending side of the equation. Or we could if both parties would get their heads out of their respective asses with respect to the necessity of entitlement reform.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #3883
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Or we could if both parties would get their heads out of their respective asses with respect to the necessity of entitlement reform.
Yeah, let the old and the sick pay for it. Screw those guys. What we definitely shouldn't do is war less. We need those wars. That's the ticket.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #3884
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Quote:
But I am sure you'd love him if he just cast that one vote differently.
I would have respected him for voting against that bill, for sure, regardless of the reasons. The bill is not a tax cut like the W bill was a tax cut -- it's a mishmash of ambiguity and nonsense that as someone who has to play tax lawyer often, and at least has to understand tax structuring in the private equity space, it makes my head hurt. If he had opposed it for the reasons the deficit hawks had initially expressed misgivings (which I assume are conservative reasons by your definition), I would have loved him for it because others might have been inspired to jump on board and kill it.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #3885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Out around Wrigley is pretty good, yes? i was at a bar on Michigan across from the theater where Dillinger bought it. Along Michigan in that area there were several nice bars.
No you weren't. That theater is in Lincoln Park. Michigan stops well south of Lincoln Park.

I lived about 5 blocks from Wrigley. It was fun when I was younger, but it's probably too fratty for old lawtalkerpeople.