LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 122
0 members and 122 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
barely_legal
I am beyond a rank!

Re: Death Pool 2014. 10th Anniversary Special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
I thought we decided a person didn't become a celebrity just because s/he commited heinous crimes (although John Demjanjuk might be only that) a couple of years ago.

Becoming a celebrity on the basis of anticipated death seems like it shouldn't count. On the other hand, she's enterprising and a so is Barely for picking her.
I don't really care if my picks are determined to be real celebrities or not -- that's why I submitted alternates when I sent in my list. But, I don't think the test should rely on whether a person is only famous for committing a crime. Does that mean that we couldn't put Charles Manson on our lists? Or the Lockerbie bomber? I remember a few people, including me, having him a few years ago and I don't recall any debate about whether he was a celebrity, even though he's only famous for committing a heinous crime. What about Jack Kevorkian -- wasn't he on a few lists in years past? I would argue that there are tons of people that have been on our lists over the years that have not been questioned, even though they were only famous for committing crimes. Or maybe I was the only person who ever had those people on my list, and y'all have just caught on to my methods?

As to Fawkes, I was hesitant to include her for the reasons that NCS stated, but it was such a softball, I couldn't resist.