LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 126
0 members and 126 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #421
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Thanks. With kids just turning 21 now I'm starting to pick up more stuff I don't drink for them and their friends. I need to add a tequila to the bar.
Don't give them fancy pants tequila. We did just fine with Natural Light.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Don't give them fancy pants tequila. We did just fine with Natural Light.
but fortaleza is great too
Old 04-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #423

Quote:
but fortaleza is great too
I also recently had some Red Breast 12 year. That is good stuff, and I normally don't like Irish whiskey.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #424
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
And we're back to my original point that what really sucks about the suburbs are the suburbanites.
I think Jean Paul Sartre was on to something when he said, "l'enfers, c'est les autres."
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #425
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
I also recently had some Red Breast 12 year. That is good stuff, and I normally don't like Irish whiskey.
Replying to yourself? I’d say we already have an Atticus, but we don’t (sniff).
Old 04-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #426
ferrets_bueller

Quote:
They don't make houses like they used to.

Thing is, I signed on to one of the real estate marketing sites and searched for a 17th century castle on 100 or more acres of land anywhere within two hours of Boston and only one came up. And for that one, they've already subdivided the thieves forest and sold it off.
Chrismark Castle, Woodstock, Connecticut. Can't be sure it has 100 acres, but it does have a 30 acre pond. Comes with s bit of a backstory, as all castles do. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ee-you-can-buy

I'd lowball the asking price by a ton. Since it is less than 17 years old, and you were looking for 17th Century.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #427
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Good list, but I just want to make sure you know the current thing is outdoor pizza ovens. You've got to have an outdoor wood fired pizza oven.

I'm thinking of this one, and having a little brick base built for it. What do you think?
We have a gas one someone gave us as a gift. We've used it twice. Graham also has a grill and an electric smoker. Plus the fire pit. He's into the cooking of meat. But honestly, the sous vide gets used more than any other gadget in our household.

My dad has a wood fired one at the ranch. And a barbecue pit that can smoke 10 briskets and six hams simultaneously. And an outdoor fireplace with a grill. If you're ever in Texas, come visit. We cook a lot.

My parents are moving from an apartment in the middle of Houston to a 500 acre ranch ten miles from the closest WalMart. Not a suburbanite to be found anywhere nearby, but it'll be a massive adjustment. They are about half time in each right now, and the appeal of the peace and quiet of the ranch is winning out. But it's sort of an all or nothing thing. The half rural suburb thing has absolutely no appeal whatsoever.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #428
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I think Jean Paul Sartre was on to something when he said, "l'enfers, c'est les autres."
(Hi, Hank.)

I don't think suburbanites are so bad, or so much worse I should say, but there are more opportunities in the city to find the crowd you want to be in. As with restaurants, in the suburbs you are more stuck with what's around you.

I live a neighborhood of single-family homes with some pretty excellent neighbors, because we self-selected with them into a oddball housing type that appeals more to a certain crowd.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #429
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
We have a gas one someone gave us as a gift. We've used it twice. Graham also has a grill and an electric smoker. Plus the fire pit. He's into the cooking of meat. But honestly, the sous vide gets used more than any other gadget in our household.

My dad has a wood fired one at the ranch. And a barbecue pit that can smoke 10 briskets and six hams simultaneously. And an outdoor fireplace with a grill. If you're ever in Texas, come visit. We cook a lot.

My parents are moving from an apartment in the middle of Houston to a 500 acre ranch ten miles from the closest WalMart. Not a suburbanite to be found anywhere nearby, but it'll be a massive adjustment. They are about half time in each right now, and the appeal of the peace and quiet of the ranch is winning out. But it's sort of an all or nothing thing. The half rural suburb thing has absolutely no appeal whatsoever.
This all sounds like heaven. Can we move the whole setup to the Berkshires?
Old 04-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #430
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Pizza was invented in Southern Italy, and today its true meaning is protected by the AVPN http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/chi_siamo which tests and trains pizza makers to make sure they are meeting the actual strict standards it maintains. Do you or ggg claim linensure? Because otherwise you might be putting meat, cheese and tomato sauce on crust, but you are hardly making pizza.
The one place certified by the Napolese in Houston is three blocks from my house. It's pretty damned good.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #431
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Semi-related, if you've not switched the cheese on your caprese salad (i eat a lot of those) from mozzarella to burrata, make the shift. Mmmmmmm. So rich.
Wonking to second this.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #432
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
I, like Atticus, am no fan of zoning, but isn't the problem also like that lots of people like suburban living. I hear that Houston has no zoning, and it's not like it's that much denser than a lot of other places. Is that wrong?
We have zoning. It's just not called zoning. It's done by deed restrictions and HOAs and banks and city ordinances about how many parking spaces a restaurant must have before it can open or how close a place that sells booze can be to a school.

Car culture has also killed tons and tons of small towns. The downtowns in some areas of the country are just dead, while the areas around whatever highway is nearby flourish with gas stations and other places for passers by to pause for a minute or two.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #433
Hank Chinaski

Quote:

I live a neighborhood of single-family homes with some pretty excellent neighbors, because we self-selected with them into a oddball housing type that appeals more to a certain crowd.
translation: key parties. see the Ice Storm.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #434
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
The one place certified by the Napolese in Houston is three blocks from my house. It's pretty damned good.
I was just fucking with Flower. There is a netflix show called Ugly Delicious that starts with Pizza and that org is the bad guy. But agree that any place certified is probably really good za.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #435
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Obviously, don't develop a habit of buying this. But when your spouse's business partner offers this at a dinner, drink half of it.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...ar-old-whisky/
That website does samplers where you can get sets of wee drams of multiple whiskys. Cool.