LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 147
0 members and 147 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Song Parodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I won’t claim the most solid memory, but I seem to recall he was anti-Trump. I don’t remember him being SEC’s variant of NeverTrumper, but he was solidly against Trump in GOP primaries.
I've talked to him a ton about Trump (early after he was sworn in). He's a Trump guy. Don't know when it happened, but he's the walking personification of the entire Republican Party.

TM
Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 02-07-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: Song Parodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I've talked to him a ton about Trump (early after he was sworn in). He's a Trump guy. Don't know when it happened, but he's the walking personification of the entire Republican Party.

TM
He changed.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Turd in the Bowl

Quote:
I've talked to him a ton about Trump (early after he was sworn in). He's a Trump guy. Don't know when it happened, but he's the walking personification of the entire Republican Party.TM
Only latching onto this quote because it serves as a decent anchor.

TM and I had a great catch-up on Friday. TM now looks like a god. Yet, he envies my full head of hair.

Snark aside, we've now been friends for almost 20 years. The "kitchen" from the Board days was in 2000-2001. How is that possible

Ya'll know where to find me.

Best,
K
Old 06-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Turd in the Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaveNoMore View Post
TM and I had a great catch-up on Friday. TM now looks like a god.
Can I take this if I convince myself your delusions are only limited to politics?

Quote:
Yet, he envies my full head of hair.
That's better.

Quote:
Snark aside, we've now been friends for almost 20 years. The "kitchen" from the Board days was in 2000-2001. How is that possible.
I bet you still have that sweater, though.

TM
Old 06-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Can I take this if I convince myself your delusions are only limited to politics?

That's better.

I bet you still have that sweater, though.

TM
still, now you can say some of your best friends are trumpers
Old 06-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
still, now you can say some of your best friends are trumpers
Don't buy Sebby's bullshit. One of my partners (he's not a lawyer and he's a friend I grew up with in the city and have known for 40 years) is hardcore Trump. Another close friend I've known since junior high is a Trump idiot. And that's just a few of the people I know and actually like who voted for that piece of shit. Also, I'm surrounded by partners at work (here and Boston) who would sooner vote for Hitler than a Democrat.

It amazes me that anyone thinks people who live in NY (or any big city), surrounded by all different types of people from all over the world (which includes the South and Midwest)--rich and poor, all colors, all political stripes, LGBTQ, etc.--are somehow the ones who live in a bubble. The only bubbles that exist in this country are in the South, the Midwest, and apparently a disturbing number of suburbs. Hell, I drove through an area of Texas (not far outside of Dallas) where if you didn't belong to a mega church, you might as well stop talking to people altogether.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 06-18-2019 at 04:48 PM..
Old 06-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Don't buy Sebby's bullshit.
You'll have to be clear about which bullshit I was allegedly selling. I wasn't even part of this exchange.

Quote:
It amazes me that anyone thinks people who live in NY (or any big city), surrounded by all different types of people from all over the world (which includes the South and Midwest)--rich and poor, all colors, all political stripes, LGBTQ, etc.--are somehow the ones who live in a bubble. The only bubbles that exist in this country are in the South, the Midwest, and apparently a disturbing number of suburbs. Hell, I drove through an area of Texas (not far outside of Dallas) where if you didn't belong to a mega church, you might as well stop talking to people altogether.
Visit DC. Most of the town thinks that what goes on in the beltway is the only reality of any consequence. My own family that lives there thinks that. There are all sorts of bubbles all over the country. It just depends on what criteria you're using. And "bubble" isn't even right word for this phenomenon. These places aren't shielded from outsiders. They just have inhabitants many of whom think their city or town or whatever mirrors reality elsewhere. It doesn't. I was just in two cities which, while located fairly close to one another, both over four or five (maybe more) hundred years old, and having people predominantly of similar backgrounds, could not have been more different.

Philly is not NY. NY is not DC. San Fran is not Boston. Peoria is not South Bend. Each place is filled with a certain number of people who think, however, that their unique town mirrors the rest of the world. In fact, cities, towns, villages, are all to a significant extent sui generis.

The "bubble" is in a person's head, not a function of the locale.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
You'll have to be clear about which bullshit I was allegedly selling. I wasn't even part of this exchange.
I think it's fairly clear that I was talking about politics, given the rest of the post. It's surprising that you don't get it, given how often you repeat how so many of us need to remove ourselves from our bubbles while at the same time touting your unique position of moving in and out of all sorts of political circles and cocktail parties.

Quote:
Visit DC.
Sure thing. I'll schedule that now. What should I do first on my 30th time there?

Quote:
Philly is not NY. NY is not DC. San Fran is not Boston. Peoria is not South Bend.
Pure brilliance.

Quote:
Each place is filled with a certain number of people who think, however, that their unique town mirrors the rest of the world. In fact, cities, towns, villages, are all to a significant extent sui generis.
I don't know why I do this to myself.

Focus. I am talking specifically about how cities generally consist of many different types of people who are all exposed to many different types of people as well as ideas, and are forced to adjust to one another--at least way more so than huge fucking swaths of the country. And it's the people who inhabit those huge swaths who are the ones who like to point at those of us who live in cities and talk about the bubble we live in. It's fucking ridiculous.

Quote:
The "bubble" is in a person's head, not a function of the locale.
Bullshit.

TM

Last edited by ThurgreedMarshall; 06-18-2019 at 06:47 PM..
Old 06-18-2019, 11:11 PM   #10
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:

Peoria is not South Bend.
I mean...it kind of is.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Don't buy Sebby's bullshit. One of my partners (he's not a lawyer and he's a friend I grew up with in the city and have known for 40 years) is hardcore Trump. Another close friend I've known since junior high is a Trump idiot. And that's just a few of the people I know and actually like who voted for that piece of shit. Also, I'm surrounded by partners at work (here and Boston) who would sooner vote for Hitler than a Democrat.

TM
I grew up in a real bubble, a right wing one, in upstate NY. My general impression is that blue America understands red America much better than red America understands blue America.

What I still can't understand, though, is who the hell goes to Sebby's cocktail parties? I mean, those sound just awful.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
I grew up in a real bubble, a right wing one, in upstate NY. My general impression is that blue America understands red America much better than red America understands blue America.

What I still can't understand, though, is who the hell goes to Sebby's cocktail parties? I mean, those sound just awful.
Off my corner, ho! I invented making fun of Sebby's cocktail parties.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #13
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
They're all kind of awful. People can be really fucking boring. And they're all boring in the same ways. A lot of wit is canned, and most people are not really listening but thinking about the next thing they're going to say. Or they're thinking about how they might elicit some form of reaction, or remain consistent with some personal brand or image they wish to convey.

You can try to outrun Shakespeare's stage, but you'll never succeed.