LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 137
0 members and 137 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #1546
Not Bob

Re: Oh God, save history, God, save your mad parade Oh Lord God, have mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
yeah, and suppose RT tried to bill us to pay for the "services" ty provides as an admin?
If RT required it, and the majority of us agreed that everyone who read or posts here had to contribute to a fund to pay Ty a little sumthin’ sumthin’, and you refused to pay, should you still be entitled to post or read for free?

How about if you work as a bartender in a restaurant and the owner requires that all tips are pooled, and you think that your hard work shouldn’t subsidize lazy people like Not Bob (a hipster server who wears a pork pie hat)? Do you think that you should be able to opt-out of the tipsharing and still expect to work at that restaurant?

Last edited by Not Bob; 07-03-2018 at 01:39 PM..
Old 07-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #1547
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
SEC will end up working for squat and riding a bicycle instead of driving a car. And as we all know, bikes suck (hi Adder!).
So she'll be happier, healthier and live longer? I do not think your argument holds up, troll.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #1548
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
If RT required it, and the majority of us agreed that everyone who read or posts here had to contribute to a fund to pay Ty a little sumthin’ sumthin’, and you refused to pay, should you still be entitled to post or read for free?

How about if you work as a bartender in a restaurant and the owner requires that all tips are pooled, and you think that your hard work shouldn’t subsidize lazy people like Not Bob (a hipster server who wears a pork pie hat)? Do you think that you should be able to opt-out of the tipsharing and still expect to work at that restaurant?
someday, and I hope that day never comes, you and i may be on the opposite sides of a file. I will destroy your arguments, your client and your very standing in your firm. I will not savor that action, but will be compelled to do so by the dollars being paid me.

A happy point is that i am not paid to post here, so i do not need to respond to this drivel. happy birthday.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #1549
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Ah, yes, the 740 sedan -- pinnacle of luxury it was. I fondly recall the days Cartie, Ferris, and I would take it to the summer cottage in Rhinebeck. Badminton, croquet, and key parties with the cousins.

I believe that was the sedan Auth Ethel drove through the hedge maze. She was such a card.

I think I lost my virginity in that car, up there! Ah, Candace... Haven't seen her since the 2014 reunion.
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/31/a...are-grows.html

"Some expensive European imports, such as Mercedes-Benz, B.M.W. and Volvo, even increased their sales. Mercedes, for example, sold 63,050 cars in 1981, over 17 percent more than the 53,790 it sold in 1980."

50-60K sales for expensive European cars by brand. Meanwhile the Japanese makers were agreeing to cap sales at 1.8 million. Sit back and learn.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #1550
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/31/a...are-grows.html

"Some expensive European imports, such as Mercedes-Benz, B.M.W. and Volvo, even increased their sales. Mercedes, for example, sold 63,050 cars in 1981, over 17 percent more than the 53,790 it sold in 1980."

50-60K sales for expensive European cars by brand. Meanwhile the Japanese makers were agreeing to cap sales at 1.8 million. Sit back and learn.
Dude, I just find it funny when someone calls a Volvo a luxury car. I had a 240. I loved the car. Beat the living shit out of it. But luxury? I've sat in more comfortable lawn furniture.

Audi? Kinda luxury. Depends on model.

Saab? See Volvo.

Mercedes? Yes, luxury.

BMW? Yes, luxury.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #1551
Not Bob

There ain’t no good guys, there ain’t no bad guys

Quote:
someday, and I hope that day never comes, you and i may be on the opposite sides of a file. I will destroy your arguments, your client and your very standing in your firm. I will not savor that action, but will be compelled to do so by the dollars being paid me.

A happy point is that i am not paid to post here, so i do not need to respond to this drivel. happy birthday.
New Board Motto!

What can I say? There’s only you and me and we just disagree.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #1552
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Dude, I just find it funny when someone calls a Volvo a luxury car. I had a 240. I loved the car. Beat the living shit out of it. But luxury? I've sat in more comfortable lawn furniture.

Audi? Kinda luxury. Depends on model.

Saab? See Volvo.

Mercedes? Yes, luxury.

BMW? Yes, luxury.
right, for people then of our wealth now, it was not luxury. for real people it was.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #1553
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
yeah, and suppose RT tried to bill us to pay for the "services" ty provides as an admin?
Hank, don't piss off RT.

Whatever it costs and why.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:45 AM   #1554
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Then it would be great if a union only negotiated on behalf of people who wanted such representation and were willing to pay for it, and didn't compel people to be members to keep their job. There are plenty of people who don't want to be "organized".

I would much prefer to be able to negotiate for what is important to me, not at the expense of protecting others who may not be doing their jobs.
It's not the union that compels people to be members to keep their job.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #1555
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
this little debate is really fun! for the first time i'm seeing dems hate on their sacred cows. union members are golden UNLESS they don't want to pay union fees- then those same paragons of all that is great in america actually (at least according to Ty- 13th amendment!!!!) are effectively vile freeloaders. Double bonus fun points- you all are hating on government employee union members!!!!!

(and your "they don't have to work here" is too wrong on too many levels to even merit an answer)
I was complaining about the five conservatives on the Supreme Court, not union members. Try using your brain for a change.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #1556
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I was complaining about the five conservatives on the Supreme Court, not union members. Try using your brain for a change.
Funny, when you spoke poorly of people expecting union officials to represent them for free, and equated it to slavery (a more introspective sock would have disappeared over that one- I thought you’d stopped drinking?) I thought you meant other government employees. But you were talking about 5 Justices? How does that fit with what you typed? RBG has to negotiate salaries for all of them and Roberts doesn’t wanna pay her for the trouble?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #1557
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
These people are called "freeloaders" and "delusional."
Freeriders are the opposite of delusional. They are very rational.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #1558
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post

That's kind of the point of everything that a government does.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #1559
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Funny, when you spoke poorly of people expecting union officials to represent them for free, and equated it to slavery (a more introspective sock would have disappeared over that one- I thought you’d stopped drinking?) I thought you meant other government employees. But you were talking about 5 Justices? How does that fit with what you typed? RBG has to negotiate salaries for all of them and Roberts doesn’t wanna pay her for the trouble?
Not sure why you play dumb here when you are so much smarter IRL.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #1560
ferrets_bueller

Thread One: Unions.

In the summer of 1965, I came home from my freshman year in college. No summer job prospect. My parents dropped me off one morning in a small manufacturing/warehouse district on Long Island, told me to knock on doors and ask for a job. They said they would pick me up when I called from a phone booth (Phone booth?) with a job. On the 4th place I asked, I was told I could be a substitute for packers and order-pullers in a warehouse for glass containers. Each regular employee would take two weeks off in the summer, and I would do his job for those two weeks. I got to know those no-collar guys pretty well. World War II vets. They gave me a lot of crap about being a college boy. I went back to school in September.

Summer of 1966, I went back and worked at the same place.

The Teamsters organized the warehouse in the winter of 1966. The men I worked with raised my situation with the Teamsters, of their own volition, and asked that the business be allowed to hire one, and only one, student, as a summer replacement during the period from Memorial Day through Labor Day. That student would NOT have to pay union dues.

I worked there each summer until 1968. I'll never cross a union picket line, anywhere, ever.

Thread Two: Cars.

I am not a car guy. But I got very lucky with gently used hand-me-downs, and on a couple of occasions, a used car steal. A '59 Oldsmobile in 1969, which then went to my younger brother, and '62 T-Bird (a swing away steering wheel!) in 71. This was a golden era in American tuna boats.

I then went trough a lifetime of "compromise cars", of American manufacture with varying, and generally deteriorating, quality. Example: I confess to having owned two Dodge Caravans.

When it came to buying a car for my daughter, in 1994 I bought her a gray market European model 1976 Mercedes 280 the size of a garbage truck. The car was the same age as my daughter. She used and abused it for six years. My mechanic, a friend, literally waved me off as it billowed plumes of white smoke from the exhaust. I loved that old beast.

In 2012, I bought a six year old Mercedes SLK that my children will pry from my cold dead hands, or until I can no longer clamber out of it, whichever comes first.

Closed Thread