LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 132
0 members and 132 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #3931
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
She's a woman.
It's a lot more than that. I hear some of the most virulent hate for Pelosi come from other women.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #3932
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Lots of love given for michigan proposal 2- The Michigan thing might make it better, but ultimately it only changes who is Gerrymandering. The commission is made up of 3D/3R and I think someone else picked how???. To me they should do it by geometry. Find the population center of a state. Define a square around that center of a size sufficient to cover the correct amount of people THEN build more squares from that. That the current Gerrymandering has been R driven doesn't mean the Ds are above it. Politicians do it to protect themselves. Math wouldn't care.
This, but the way to do it is to let anyone submit a districting map, and to pick the map that (a) results in district with no more than x variation in population, and (b) has the shortest aggregate boundaries. Repeat every ten years.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #3933
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
She's a woman.
Republicans spend a lot of time vilifying her for political reasons.
的t was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 11-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #3934
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
It's a lot more than that. I hear some of the most virulent hate for Pelosi come from other women.
Uh, seriously? Do you also think people of color can't be racist?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #3935
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: God damn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Hard to square that notion with the Robbers Cave experiment.
At long last, you have now convinced me I am mentally ill.

I have never wanted to be a part of any group. As soon as I am in a group, I begin to internally critique its methods and aims and desire to either improve it (which is almost never a realizable option), subvert it (almost the point of sabotage), or just check out.

It's a reflexive recoiling. But the more I read on group dynamics and our natural tendencies toward ant-like behavior, the more I realize, I'm not correctly wired for the hive.

Thank you. You've just saved me a lot of cost of therapists.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #3936
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
No, it's pretty much the misogyny. I've asked more than one person who speaks ill of her why, and the most common answer is to look at me like I have two heads and say "she's a bitch".
Old 11-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #3937
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
No, it's pretty much the misogyny. I've asked more than one person who speaks ill of her why, and the most common answer is to look at me like I have two heads and say "she's a bitch".
She's very skilled as a Speaker (never lost a vote) but a terrible messenger. "Let's hear it for preexisting conditions!" -- really?

I realize this is not responsive to whether or not she's hated because she's a woman. I just think it's time for a new speaker with charisma and who knows how to better message to the public.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #3938
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Women are not immune to misogyny.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #3939
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
She's very skilled as a Speaker (never lost a vote) but a terrible messenger. "Let's hear it for preexisting conditions!" -- really?

I realize this is not responsive to whether or not she's hated because she's a woman. I just think it's time for a new speaker with charisma and who knows how to better message to the public.
I can accept a speaker who is effective at being a speaker but who does not have charisma and does not message well to the public. Other people should do those things. The Republicans are always going to find someone to vilify. If not Pelosi, then Soros, etc. I'm not convinced that anyone who hates Pelosi is otherwise inclined to vote for Democrats -- the causation runs the other way.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #3940
Icky Thump

Quote:
At long last, you have now convinced me I am mentally ill.

I have never wanted to be a part of any group. As soon as I am in a group, I begin to internally critique its methods and aims and desire to either improve it (which is almost never a realizable option), subvert it (almost the point of sabotage), or just check out.

It's a reflexive recoiling. But the more I read on group dynamics and our natural tendencies toward ant-like behavior, the more I realize, I'm not correctly wired for the hive.

Thank you. You've just saved me a lot of cost of therapists.
It is all genetic programming. We are genetically programmed to form tribes for safety -- which winds up creating hate for the other tribes. Why Boston fans hate Yankee fans.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #3941
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post

Agreed on both counts, great Speaker, not great communicator.

For me the question on speaker is who do you have in mind? Every candidate has pros and cons, and I don't see anyone running against her who would be any better. I do see some pretty junior Congressionals who I think will be ready before too long.

On the other hand, I can think of about a dozen Senators I think would do better than Schumer, most of them ambitious enough and seasoned enough to run if they saw an opening.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #3942
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
It is all genetic programming. We are genetically programmed to form tribes for safety -- which winds up creating hate for the other tribes. Why Boston fans hate Yankee fans.
Well, that and the fact that the Yankees Suck (objectively speaking).

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 11-07-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #3943
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Sessions out.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #3944
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Actually, they hate us because of our championships.

TM
Old 11-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #3945
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Agreed on both counts, great Speaker, not great communicator.

For me the question on speaker is who do you have in mind? Every candidate has pros and cons, and I don't see anyone running against her who would be any better. I do see some pretty junior Congressionals who I think will be ready before too long.
This guy:

TM
Closed Thread