LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 167
0 members and 167 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #3211
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: There but for the grace of etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
No, it's an academic feminist word. Given your already demonstrated ignorance, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt about knowing that, although maybe had you actually read the wikipedia link...
I don't think most liberal arts academics are terribly serious people. If you were trying to solve a serious problem with a pragmatic response, would you invite a liberal arts academic who'd never worked outside a campus to offer input? Maybe. But hesitantly at best.

I liked drinking with liberal arts academics. I like navel gazing with liberal arts academics. But they very rarely have the capacity to engage in pragmatic problem solving. That's a lot of why they self-select to where they are.

ETA: I took loads of classes on feminist themes in literature. First, all deconstruction of books is kind of mental masturbation. These themes people claim to find are rarely if ever actually intended by the author. But those classes were uniquely silly. We'd find references to menstruation in some 15th century poem that clearly was not really there. We'd torture texts to come up with feminist or chauvinist intent where none was present. Oddly, we never read Fear of Flying in those classes. That was introduced to me by a salty old male professor: "This is a book about a woman having sex they way she feels like having sex." He was right. And that's all anyone had to say about that book.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 09-27-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Old 09-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #3212
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Catholic boys start much too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
No its affirmative. They are working very hard at it sometimes. Watch the hearings.
I don't think any of those men is working hard to rape anyone or see more rapes occur or go unpunished. I think they're struggling mightily to deny an attempted rape occurred.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #3213
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

I'm not watching. What's happening?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #3214
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
You were very brave. Here's a cookie.
did you know toll house cookies were invented in Egypt? supposedly by an American but you know that can be faked.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #3215
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I use rape culture all the time to describe behavior and norms that make it easier for assault and harassment of women to be normalized and dismissed. And even worse, promoted and admired.

For example, the scenario described in this reddit post I would describe as the perpetuation of rape culture.

This particular one strikes a nerve with me, because the same damned thing happened to me in fifth grade, but I didn't speak up because it's so fucking ingrained in the world I lived in at the time that I knew that there was no point. And I was socialized to think that having boobs meant you have to endure this sort of shit. Maybe I'm not serious in the way you want me to be, but I'm dead serious about observing this shit because I've had to navigate it my entire life.
That's an insane post. That principal is creating an environment where sexual assault is tolerated. He should be fired. That he's considering expelling her is mind-bending.

But the fact that this shit is upsetting, that it's been tolerated for too long -- it doesn't license us to degrade the language. These shorthand words that are appearing in the culture are turning serious conversations into binary conversations. You think Occupy had a point? You're an SJW. Are you straight and unaware of LGBT issues? You're CIS Male (dropped pejoratively). You think Kavanaugh's innocent? You're part of Rape Culture.

We seem to have a massive societal hard-on for categorizing people these days. You're this. He's that. She's this. You're thinking makes you X, Y, or Z. Here's how I identify you. Here is your group.

Rape Culture is an attempt - I think a failed one - to lump a ton of things under a single descriptive. We have untold numbers of words to describe the varying types of behavior comprising this societal rape denial. Why simplify? So we can fit something on Twitter? So we can blurt it out in a 30 second live hit on cable news?
Old 09-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #3216
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I’ll admit I’ve even used rapey. It captures exactly what you describe. But that’s a barb. Rape Culture is used like a credible, clinical term. It’s not. It’s a silly oversimplification meant to shock. It needs to go. But it wont because we’re in the age of feeling and short attention spans now. If you feel it’s a valid construct and helps you express yourself at Tweet length, gosh darnit, you can use it!
so it's like "white privilege?" It oversimplifies? But it does convey a general thought doesn't it? Like Ty said with weather. My privilege isn't exactly Adder's, I'd explain it differently anyway. But it is short hand to convey a concept.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #3217
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I'm not watching. What's happening?
adder ggg thurgred and you are engaging sebby on another vapid point?
Old 09-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #3218
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
That's an insane post. That principal is creating an environment where sexual assault is tolerated. He should be fired. That he's considering expelling her is mind-bending.

But the fact that this shit is upsetting, that it's been tolerated for too long -- it doesn't license us to degrade the language. These shorthand words that are appearing in the culture are turning serious conversations into binary conversations. You think Occupy had a point? You're an SJW. Are you straight and unaware of LGBT issues? You're CIS Male (dropped pejoratively). You think Kavanaugh's innocent? You're part of Rape Culture.

We seem to have a massive societal hard-on for categorizing people these days. You're this. He's that. She's this. You're thinking makes you X, Y, or Z. Here's how I identify you. Here is your group.

Rape Culture is an attempt - I think a failed one - to lump a ton of things under a single descriptive. We have untold numbers of words to describe the varying types of behavior comprising this societal rape denial. Why simplify? So we can fit something on Twitter? So we can blurt it out in a 30 second live hit on cable news?

I take it you didn't read the rest of the wikipedia article? The term has been around since the 70s.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 09-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #3219
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

"Weather" is an attempt -- I think a failed one -- to lump a ton of things under a single descriptive. We have untold numbers of words to describe varying types of atmospheric conditions relating to temperature, humidity, wind, precipitation, etc., and if we need more we can always borrow from the Eskimos. Why simplify? So we can fit something on Twitter? So we can go to weather.com instead of compexmultiplecategoriesofatmosphericphenonema.com? Hello? Why do you think God invented browser bookmarks?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 09-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #3220
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
adder ggg thurgred and you are engaging sebby on another vapid point?
As the Bible says, nothing is new under the sun.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #3221
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I take it you didn't read the rest of the wikipedia article? The term has been around since the 70s.
It's gained broad prominence recently. Previously, it was relegated to the campus. Now I hear it all over the place.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #3222
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
so it's like "white privilege?" It oversimplifies? But it does convey a general thought doesn't it? Like Ty said with weather. My privilege isn't exactly Adder's, I'd explain it differently anyway. But it is short hand to convey a concept.
It's a shorthand way to associate a person or group of people with a criminal act or affirmative support for that act.

It's like "drug culture," another dumb descriptive. A pot smoker, cokehead, and smack fiend are not the same animal.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #3223
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
It's a shorthand way to associate a person or group of people with a criminal act or affirmative support for that act.

It's like "drug culture," another dumb descriptive. A pot smoker, cokehead, and smack fiend are not the same animal.
Well, then you just need to adjust and understand what people seem to mean- like I don't like the term "White privilege." See for me "privileged" were the kids from Grosse Pointe, and i was the not-privileged in comparison- I don't like the word choice- but it was chosen so I'm stuck with it. I can process what it means and consider thoughts tied to it, I mean i understand the concept.

Similarly "rape culture" means attitudes and behavior that lead to men behaving badly generally, and sometimes raping, yes, but it is more than that. might "boorish men behaviour culture" been more broadly accurate? Maybe. But no one here coined the phrase. "Only God works from whole cloth, man must work with what came before."

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 09-27-2018 at 02:33 PM..
Old 09-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #3224
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
"Weather" is an attempt -- I think a failed one -- to lump a ton of things under a single descriptive. We have untold numbers of words to describe varying types of atmospheric conditions relating to temperature, humidity, wind, precipitation, etc., and if we need more we can always borrow from the Eskimos. Why simplify? So we can fit something on Twitter? So we can go to weather.com instead of compexmultiplecategoriesofatmosphericphenonema.com? Hello? Why do you think God invented browser bookmarks?
Is a handjob sex? How about a blowjob? Cunnilingus?

You say you had sex with someone, 99.9% of people assume intercourse. You say someone is part of Rape Culture, and 99.9% of people (not on campuses) think you're involved in or somehow associated with a horrible criminal act.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #3225
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I don't think any of those men is working hard to rape anyone or see more rapes occur or go unpunished. I think they're struggling mightily to deny an attempted rape occurred.
Again, you say this because you ignore the things they have said.
Closed Thread