LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 256
0 members and 256 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #1246
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Cuckoo Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
to be fair, adder passing on "his chance" to be in charge isn't really that big a sacrifice.
Damn. BURNT. Crispy, even.

TM
Old 06-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #1247
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Yes. The problem in this world is all of the crazy feminists running for office and the fact that so many white men are giving up management positions for jobs with less authority such that you can't even imagine a world where feminists would be in charge because there's no place for men.

Get a grip, homie.

TM
replying not to the article, but to Adder's statement he should just stand down.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #1248
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
The headline is clickbait, of course.
The author almost certainly didn't write it.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #1249
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Damn. BURNT. Crispy, even.

TM
thanks for having my back.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #1250
Not Bob

She’s totally committed to major independence*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Here's to apathy and gin!
For the first time since the Brooks Brothers riot, I find myself saying “next board motto!” Well-played, sir - I said well played.

Anyway, it seems to me that saying one is a “feminist” is not unlike saying one is a “Democrat” - it’s a term that covers a whole lot of territory. I mean, there’s even pro-life/anti-abortion feminists** - I’m on a social justice committee with some.

*The “she” in this classic is reportedly Gloria Steinem.

**Who are of course labeled Not Feminist by others under the umbrella, much like pro-Wall Street Democrats like Chuck Schumer are called Not Democrats by many other Democrats.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #1251
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
The headline is clickbait, of course. If she had framed "blanket hate" as something more realistic like, "loss of the benefit of the doubt in every single instance," it would be more palatable.

People absolutely cannot stand to be lumped in with others on these types of generalizations.

"You are privileged." "What? Me? My daddy was a coal miner's daughter and I grew up on nothing but knock off Welch's grape juice.

"Cops support cops no matter what." "What? My uncle is a cop and he is the least racist cop ever. In fact, he had a black girlfriend in '98!

"It is very hard to navigate the world based on the amount of aggression exhibited by men in all walks of life." "What? I've never assaulted anyone. And I stopped calling girls,* "honey" in '98 when my uncle's black girlfriend punched me in my eye! I'm not the problem!"

"New Yorkers are rude." "What? Fuck you, buddy. I helped a little old lady get the fuck out of my way just the other day. Tell your story walkin'.

I don't understand why people can't listen to something like what was written in the article, understand that she's employing a rhetorical device, remove themselves from the class based on their own behavior, and move on with their lives without dismissing the whole thing. But apparently, that is absolutely impossible.

TM

*This is intentional.
I actually agree with the "hate" concept. There's a credible argument to be made that a good number of women have a justifiable reason to hate men.

Where I think she went full on cuckoo pants is directing men to concede all positions of power to women. This is loony because:

1. It assumes women cannot ascend to positions of power adequate to undo "male privilege" unless men give up positions (which makes women sound weak and outnumbered); and,
2. It assumes men have an obligation to "turn things over" to women, rather than work with and respect women as equals.

I get that she thinks that male privilege is so woven into society that it cannot be fixed by anything but a female takeover. And that's where it becomes nothing more than value-signaling, as that is never going to happen, which she knows.

The Left and Right are both engaging in a lot of venting. Typically, the Left owns the high road here as their venting is justified and reasonable. I think it unwise to concede that road by becoming unrealistic and absurd in demands like those raised in this piece.

But then, her aim was also to get people talking, and that she did.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 06-15-2018 at 02:51 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #1252
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Too soon.
Better than too late.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #1253
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
All this. But don't forget the inspirational quotes. "You can't love others until you learn to love yourself."

Oh. Great. Thanks. I was going to, but I will work on myself first. So glad you posted, you colossal moron.

TM
You might also try the blunt, "I've a PhD in masturbation, thank you."
Old 06-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #1254
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
In other words, "virtue-signaling" is anti-virtue-signalling?
Exactly.

Quote:
Probably you think that it does the world some measure of good if men like yourself support her, even if they don't really always mean it.
I don't know who you think don't really always mean it.

I said the piece strikes me as fair because I think she's got ample reason to feel the way she does. I also characterized it as hyperbole because I don't think she really believes that we can or will elect only feminist women and/or always take a step back, but we should be intentionally trying to do those things.

Quote:
The phrase "virtue-signaling" is not entirely fair here, because it seems like you probably think that the public act of agreeing with her will somehow have some effect on the world apart from telling everyone here that you are on the side of feminism, although I confess that unless underpants gnomes are involved, I don't get it.
You don't get how men talking to other men about how they should be feminists will have some effect on the world? You don't get that one of us in particular needs to be told that he's the one being ridiculous? (Hint, it's the one who's got his undergarments in a knot over the crazy feminist)

Last edited by Adder; 06-15-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #1255
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: She’s totally committed to major independence*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
For the first time since the Brooks Brothers riot, I find myself saying “next board motto!” Well-played, sir - I said well played.

Anyway, it seems to me that saying one is a “feminist” is not unlike saying one is a “Democrat” - it’s a term that covers a whole lot of territory. I mean, there’s even pro-life/anti-abortion feminists** - I’m on a social justice committee with some.

*The “she” in this classic is reportedly Gloria Steinem.

**Who are of course labeled Not Feminist by others under the umbrella, much like pro-Wall Street Democrats like Chuck Schumer are called Not Democrats by many other Democrats.
Thank you. And thank you for bringing back the memories of the riot. I'll never forget security accusing Carter of stealing that bow tie and him screaming, "Let's burn this motherfucker down!!!" We flipped every one of those racks. Even the island cotton stuff. I never thought you'd put that mannequin through the window, with it wearing that heavy tweed jacket. But dammit, old boy, you put it in the street. All that glass... And all those lawyers. They almost kept me out of the Bathing Club for that misdemeanor on the record.

I never took acid again.

Re those pro-life feminists, never ply them with drink. Nothing mixes worse than cognitive dissonance, self-loathing, and spirits.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #1256
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Nothing mixes worse than cognitive dissonance, self-loathing, and spirits.
These words could not ring truer coming from you.

I am not sorry.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #1257
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I don't know who you think don't really always mean it.

I said the piece strikes me as fair because I think she's got ample reason to feel the way she does. I also characterized it as hyperbole because I don't think she really believes that we can or will elect only feminist women and/or always take a step back, but we should be intentionally trying to do those things.
She wrote an op-ed that says some specific things. It seems to me that if you respect her views you ought to take those specific things seriously, instead of taking them as hyperbole that she doesn't really mean.

Quote:
You don't get how men talking to other men about how they should be feminists will have some effect on the world? You don't get that one of us in particular needs to be told that he's the one being ridiculous? (Hint, it's the one who's got his undergarments in a knot over the crazy feminist)
I can disagree with both of you about different things. Just because someone else says something wrong doesn't mean your virtue-signaling suddenly has some usefulness.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #1258
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Thank you. And thank you for bringing back the memories of the riot. I'll never forget security accusing Carter of stealing that bow tie and him screaming, "Let's burn this motherfucker down!!!" We flipped every one of those racks. Even the island cotton stuff. I never thought you'd put that mannequin through the window, with it wearing that heavy tweed jacket. But dammit, old boy, you put it in the street. All that glass... And all those lawyers. They almost kept me out of the Bathing Club for that misdemeanor on the record.

I never took acid again.
Um, he was talking about something else.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #1259
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
She wrote an op-ed that says some specific things. It seems to me that if you respect her views you ought to take those specific things seriously, instead of taking them as hyperbole that she doesn't really mean.
Or I could realize that she's a literate adult.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #1260
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I don’t have my panties in a twist on this. I thought it demanded something ludicrous and offered it here to see if I was right.

TM said we misunderstood its broader point.
Ty said it was frivolous in its demands men concede positions.
You defended its silly demand, but when confronted backed down and now say it was just a good way to get men talking about feminism. In other words, you happily engaged in virtue-signaling. Until flagged for it.