LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 157
0 members and 157 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:54 PM   #46
Flinty_McFlint

?

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
Just tell Hank you won't let him do sex to you no matter how small he can get it to go.
I don't date ethnic.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:33 AM   #47
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Now Hiring!

Anyone want to do criminal defense?

http://www.slate.com/id/2106248/
Old 09-08-2004, 12:21 AM   #48
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Now Hiring!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter

Put it in terms we can understand --- does this mean John Kerry's career as a DA was as much of a walkover as Vietnam was?
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #49
Sparklehorse

Now Hiring!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter

I'm probably wasting my (virtual) breath but this article follows many that don't explain the problem here in MA very well. New public defenders who work full-time for the state probably earn about the same amount as the bar advocates (who could have been doing the work for years) because bar advocates have to pay all overhead, malpractice and health insurance, etc. from the hourly rates. Furthermore, there is a cap on the number of hours that can be billed annually, so it is not possible to do what the guy in Oregon did. End of timmy rant.
Sparklehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #50
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

How to ensure a seat on the Supreme Court

Concur with yourself (5th Circuit .pdf)

Edith Jones holds that Roe v. Wade, redux (on McCorvey's 60(b) motion), is moot. But laments that the case is moot, and, like rain on your wedding day, was itself a case that benefitted from an exception to the mootness rule, given the substantial evidence of harm that abortion causes to women

For obvious reasons, she presumably now also appeals to John Kerry.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #51
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

How to ensure a seat on the Supreme Court

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Concur with yourself (5th Circuit .pdf)
It's amazing she couldn't get the rest of the panel to sign their names to such chestnuts as "No longer does the unwed mother face social ostracism" and "It takes no expert prognosticator to know that research on women’s mental and physical health following abortion will yield an eventual medical consensus."
Old 09-28-2004, 02:51 PM   #52
ilikenewsocks
Smells Like Victory!

Hey Good Lookin'

District and Bankruptcy Judges get into legalistic Food Fiiiiiight!

I haven't found a link to the actual opinion (on remand) online, will post if I can find it, b/c it's quite amusing.
ilikenewsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:59 AM   #53
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Alleged Discovery Abuses Lead to $500M Dismissal

I would bet serious money this gets reversed. Meanwhile, Jones Day's malpractice carrier will be watching the advance sheets wearing Depends.

BTW, ninth year associate? WTF? I take it there are parts of Georgia where they still haven't posted the text of the 13th Amendment in the break rooms?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:35 PM   #54
ltl/fb

Quote:
Alleged Discovery Abuses Lead to $500M Dismissal

I would bet serious money this gets reversed. Meanwhile, Jones Day's malpractice carrier will be watching the advance sheets wearing Depends.

BTW, ninth year associate? WTF? I take it there are parts of Georgia where they still haven't posted the text of the 13th Amendment in the break rooms?
I have heard that Jones Day has like a 10 or 11-yr partnership track. But I may be wrong.
ltl/fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:37 PM   #55
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

From the Volokh Conspiracy:

Quote:
Zealous Defense: In Louisiana, a man by the name of Barbette Williams kidnapped and tried to murder a 6-year-old boy. The kidnapping ended with a 12-hour standoff in which Williams barricaded himself in a house and shot at several officers. Williams was charged with kidnapping and attempted murder and went to trial, where his defense attorney argued that Williams was not guilty by reason of insanity.

Near the close of the defense attorney's case, Williams jumped up, grabbed his attorney, and slashed him in the face with a razor blade in an apparent effort to kill him. According to this story from the Associated Press, the wounded attorney had the following comment with respect to the slashing:
  • "I've contended all along that this guy is nuts, and to be honest, this pretty much confirms it."
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:49 PM   #56
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
"I've contended all along that this guy is nuts, and to be honest, this pretty much confirms it."
A guy who can stay on message with such laser-beam focus deserves a position in this administration's cabinet. He's a defense attorney --- he can replace Rumsfeld?
Old 10-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #57
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Obvious: "'We cannot simply suspend or restrict civil liberties until the War of Terror is over, because the War on Terror is unlikely ever to be truly over,'" Judge Gerald Tjoflat wrote for the three-member court. 'September 11, 2001, already a day of immeasurable tragedy, cannot be the day liberty perished in this country.'"

Surprising: Judge Tjoflat is not on the Ninth Circuit.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:56 PM   #58
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Obvious: "'We cannot simply suspend or restrict civil liberties until the War of Terror is over, because the War on Terror is unlikely ever to be truly over,'" Judge Gerald Tjoflat wrote for the three-member court. 'September 11, 2001, already a day of immeasurable tragedy, cannot be the day liberty perished in this country.'"

Surprising: Judge Tjoflat is not on the Ninth Circuit.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,135684,00.html

the last time we took your advice it didn't work out. if it gets to where we can't go to movies can we start checking people?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 10-17-2004 at 09:12 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:09 PM   #59
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,135684,00.html

the last time we took your advise it didn't work out. if it gets to where we can't go to movies can we start checking people?
It's somehow my fault we let the wrong ones go? This is one Dem who won't take a Slavian fall for the excesses of the Administration.

I will, however, take credit for electing a dead man to the Senate from the great state of Missouri.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:32 AM   #60
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

traffic law news from our friends to the north

• English-only traffic sign ruled illegal

Toronto — A justice of the peace has ruled that a "no left turn" sign in Toronto is unenforceable because it is not written in both English and French.

The ruling Monday by Justice Alice Napier could result in thousands of traffic tickets being dismissed.

Lawyer Jennifer Myers argued that a traffic sign near Bay and Dundas streets violated the Highway Traffic Act and the French Languages Service Act because it was not in both official languages.

Napier agreed at a night court hearing Monday, and threw out a ticket issued to Myers for making an illegal left turn.

Myers does not speak French.

Daniel Brown, a law student who represented her in court, said Myers' victory could prove expensive for the city of Toronto.

"Certainly there will be some cost consequences," Brown said. "They will have to update every traffic sign to correspond with the French Languages Services Act."

Mayor David Miller said Tuesday that the city would appeal the decision.

George Bartlett, director of prosecutions for the city of Toronto, said a provision of the Highway Traffic Act that requires French-language signs does not apply because city council never approved it.

Bartlett also said that a decision by a justice of the peace would not set a precedent that invalidates other tickets issued on the basis of English-only signs.

CBC Toronto
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote