LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 158
0 members and 158 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #1771
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Mother, mother, mother - there's too many of you crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
If that's young Barron, dude's getting tall. I'll defer to Coach Chinaski and TM on this, but I'm thinking small forward on the JV team (he's starting HS soon, right?). Soft touch with the ball, but no D.
I'm the coach, he is cut, no matter the skills. Coaching kids, you have to factor in the 'rents, and no way I'm explaining to DJT why Barron ain't starting. I mean unless he can seriously hoop, but we'd have to be talkin' about one hooping motherfucking kid. I mean, he'd have to be ten times more hooping than that Thurgreed.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #1772
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm the coach, he is cut, no matter the skills. Coaching kids, you have to factor in the 'rents, and no way I'm explaining to DJT why Barron ain't starting. I mean unless he can seriously hoop, but we'd have to be talkin' about one hooping motherfucking kid. I mean, he'd have to be ten times more hooping than that Thurgreed.
DJT wouldn't have any idea. It's not like he pays any attention that poor child.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #1773
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
DJT wouldn't have any idea. It's not like he pays any attention that poor child.
it'll be on the news that he sits bench, and that would catch his eye, "Don't know what this Coach Chinaski looks for in players, but he loses a lot of games, Loser. If I were coaching we'd have a better record, bigly."
Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #1774
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
If that's young Barron, dude's getting tall. I'll defer to Coach Chinaski and TM on this, but I'm thinking small forward on the JV team (he's starting HS soon, right?). Soft touch with the ball, but no D.
Quote:
That kid ain't playin' hoops. He's going to go to all the Duke lacrosse parties and talk about his dad while trying to get some coed fall down-drunk.

TM
Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #1775
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Moderate Dick and Jane: Let's vote our pocketbooks.

It's the common man's civic equivalent of "I'll be gone, you'll be gone." When the issues and rhetoric are nuts, just Protect Your Money.
There's something to be made of the fact that your ideal moderate is someone who is thick enough to think their pocket book is summed up by marginal tax rates ( on people making more than them).

On that point, you may not actually be wrong. We've got you for evidence, after all.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #1776
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: I took her to a supermarket. I don't know why.

Quote:
Ty, don't you know that Sebby just wants to live like the common people?
One day I hope Jarvis Cocker gets to defend a Pggly Wiggly that in a slip and fall and doesn't even mention you.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #1777
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
You do not have friends from both sides. That's bullshit. You know some moderate Rs, and think those are right wing Rs. You don't know right wing Rs.
I don't have right wing friends. I'm not an asshole.
Quote:
I look like I fell out of Brooks Bros catalog. White conservative Rs think the can say things to me they wouldn't say in a broad group of people with many backgrounds. I have friends whove said shit since this election that disturbs me.

If you heard the kind of shit that I hear, you'd lose your mind.

to.
You're white. It's not a super power. I hear that shit (from non-clients) exactly once, because I don't put up with it. If you do, you're a soulless coward.

With clients I find a way to politely move on, because we're all intellectual whores (which, unlike sex workers are actually kind of vile).

ETA: btw, "people say racist shit to me" is a pretty stupid comeback in a conversation about how racist this country is.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #1778
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I know people who plan R strategy. Slave is not right wing. He's a moderate. I'm a moderate.

I can't cite anything but a cocktail party because the shit these people say is intentionally NEVER written anywhere. That's the whole point.

Bannon was audaciously open about the R strategy in his interview. Read that.

It's Lee Atwater, on roids.
You're aware of Breitbart.com, right? It's written down and everything.

We should all probably read the new book about Bannon though.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #1779
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I hear that shit (from non-clients) exactly once, because I don't put up with it. If you do, you're a soulless coward.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPAbmfO4XItold to a mostly black audience so I'm a bit nervous about stuff I had to say, but you should engage not disengage.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 08-21-2017 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #1780
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPAbmfO4XItold to a mostly black audience so I'm a bit nervous about stuff I had to say, but you should engage not disengage.
Great story, Hank. Almost without doubt you would have been there for Samuel regardless of whether you said something to the crazy driver, but it also would almost certainly have made no difference.

The insane driver is the epitome of "do I or not?"

My version is the cabbie who is pissed about bikes. I tell that guy to fuck off becasuse I can. It's not always that simple.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #1781
Not Bob

Re: I took her to a supermarket. I don't know why.

Quote:
One day I hope Jarvis Cocker gets to defend a Pggly Wiggly that in a slip and fall and doesn't even mention you.
I hear all of Sebby's posts as narrated by William Shatner.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #1782
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
There's something to be made of the fact that your ideal moderate is someone who is thick enough to think their pocket book is summed up by marginal tax rates ( on people making more than them).

On that point, you may not actually be wrong. We've got you for evidence, after all.
Did I say it's my ideal moderate? No. I said it's the moderate you'll get. When all else is equal, or they are exhausted by bickering between extremes, moderate voters reflexively vote based on tax avoidance.

It's almost always better, for purposes of avoiding future increases, to vote republican.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #1783
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You're aware of Breitbart.com, right? It's written down and everything.

We should all probably read the new book about Bannon though.
I'm telling you what's otherwise an unreliable media source is, on this issue, quite reliable for once (assuming Bannon is putting what he said about the right wing's identity politics strategy in the American Spectator into print on Breitbart).

Like him or hate him, Bannon is a diabolically shrewd motherfucker. But I think his influence is overblown. Trump already had the bloc Bannon is credited with gifting him. In fact, Bannon's first move was to try to soften Trump. He's clever, but he's no Rove or Axelrod.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #1784
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I don't have right wing friends. I'm not an asshole.

You're white. It's not a super power. I hear that shit (from non-clients) exactly once, because I don't put up with it. If you do, you're a soulless coward.

With clients I find a way to politely move on, because we're all intellectual whores (which, unlike sex workers are actually kind of vile).

ETA: btw, "people say racist shit to me" is a pretty stupid comeback in a conversation about how racist this country is.
Pro tip: In a post among many where you assert my lack of understanding of racism, it's unwise to start by saying you've no right wing friends. If you don't know any right wing people, you don't know what racism looks like in this country.

I've repped a number of Black people in the crim system. I've replied them in discrimination suits. I concur with BLM based on those experiences and I also understand nuanced racism. Am I tone deaf as to my own "privilege"? Yes. I don't like focusing on myself. But you? I can't help but think you're just a well-meaning naive sort, armed exclusively with abstract knowledge. There's nothing wrong with that. The world needs dreamers. But I often feel like Rodney in Back to School, explaining to Professor Bombay how a real estate development "really gets done" when I speak to you.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-22-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Old 08-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #1785
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You really think Obama won on health care and Iraq?
Yes. And that Bush's housing bubble implosion had completely destroyed the economy.

Obama offered hope and competence after the worst presidency of our lifetimes.