LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Boston

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 246
0 members and 246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
nubova
No Rank For You!

Perspective Boston Law

Hey,
It seems like a lot of actual practicing attorneys post on this board. I have been accepted to Boston University and Boston College and am having a slightly tough time picking which school. I have visited both schools and I find that while they are both very different I like both. So my final decision seems to fall on which school will provide me with the best opportunities to practice in Boston. If any of you have any insight on this decision that may help me make mine, I would love to hear it. Anything that will help me get some sleep at night. haha.
nubova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?
Perspective Boston Law

Quote:
Originally posted by nubova
Hey,
It seems like a lot of actual practicing attorneys post on this board. I have been accepted to Boston University and Boston College and am having a slightly tough time picking which school. I have visited both schools and I find that while they are both very different I like both. So my final decision seems to fall on which school will provide me with the best opportunities to practice in Boston. If any of you have any insight on this decision that may help me make mine, I would love to hear it. Anything that will help me get some sleep at night. haha.
I went to BUSL. In my experience, there's practically no difference between the two when it comes to practice opportunities in Boston.

Certain firms may have small biases towards one or the other in their summer and subsequent hiring, but not so noticeable that one schoool jumps out as better than the other. For example, I summered at a major Boston law firm. In my class were 4 BUSL 2nd years, 3 BC 2nd years, 8 Harvard 2nd years, and 1 from each from Northeastern and Suffolk. There were about another 16-18 summer associates, from places like Penn, Columbia, Chicago, etc. etc. And all of us got offers that summer.

It may matter to you that BUSL has plans to build a new facility eventually, and having seen the plans I can tell you it will be absolutely gorgeous. It may matter to you that BU is ultimately a city school while BC has more of a campus. It may matter to you that BU's faculty is regarded almost universally as "better".

I can tell you that I loved my 3 years at BUSL (well, at least as much as anyone can love 3 years of law school.)

If you want to know anything else, please feel free to PM me. Good luck.
bold_n_brazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Perspective Boston Law

Quote:
Originally posted by nubova
Hey,
I can tell you that within Boston at this point in time neither school will give you an advantage. They are viewed very equally.

I run across more people who seem to have actually enjoyed BC than BU, but YMMV.
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Perspective Boston Law

Quote:
bold_n_brazen
I went to BUSL. In my experience, there's practically no difference between the two when it comes to practice opportunities in Boston.

Certain firms may have small biases towards one or the other in their summer and subsequent hiring, but not so noticeable that one schoool jumps out as better than the other. For example, I summered at a major Boston law firm. In my class were 4 BUSL 2nd years, 3 BC 2nd years, 8 Harvard 2nd years, and 1 from each from Northeastern and Suffolk. There were about another 16-18 summer associates, from places like Penn, Columbia, Chicago, etc. etc. And all of us got offers that summer.

It may matter to you that BUSL has plans to build a new facility eventually, and having seen the plans I can tell you it will be absolutely gorgeous. It may matter to you that BU is ultimately a city school while BC has more of a campus. It may matter to you that BU's faculty is regarded almost universally as "better".

I can tell you that I loved my 3 years at BUSL (well, at least as much as anyone can love 3 years of law school.)

If you want to know anything else, please feel free to PM me. Good luck.
Unlike BC, BU also won't routinely fuck up your bracket.
SlaveNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
credit this

BC/BU

I think the comments that the schools are generally regarded as academic equals are true as far as law firm hiring departments are concerned. At this point, you will still find more mid-level and senior partners at Boston firms who went to BC than BU, which has some effect on hiring. The comment about BU's faculty being "universally regarded" as better than BC's is a bit silly. Not to disrespect either school, but no one outside academia (other than affiliates of the schools) could name more than a couple of people on either faculty, nor does anyone who has anything to do with your job prospects at law firms particularly care who your teachers were (unless they know them personally).
Old 03-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

BC/BU

Quote:
Originally posted by credit this
I think the comments that the schools are generally regarded as academic equals are true as far as law firm hiring departments are concerned. At this point, you will still find more mid-level and senior partners at Boston firms who went to BC than BU, which has some effect on hiring. The comment about BU's faculty being "universally regarded" as better than BC's is a bit silly. Not to disrespect either school, but no one outside academia (other than affiliates of the schools) could name more than a couple of people on either faculty, nor does anyone who has anything to do with your job prospects at law firms particularly care who your teachers were (unless they know them personally).
Missed that BU poke on a better faculty.

That's a comment that may have had merit 25 years ago, when BU consistently ranked above BC in national surveys. I don't think there is any truth remaining, though there are pockets where each has a bigger reputation (e.g., environmental and tax - despite BU's tax llm program -- at BC; bank regulation at BU).

I'd make your decision on the feel of each place - where would you rather spend 3 years?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

BC/BU

Quote:
Originally posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Missed that BU poke on a better faculty.

That's a comment that may have had merit 25 years ago, when BU consistently ranked above BC in national surveys. I don't think there is any truth remaining, though there are pockets where each has a bigger reputation (e.g., environmental and tax - despite BU's tax llm program -- at BC; bank regulation at BU).

I'd make your decision on the feel of each place - where would you rather spend 3 years?
What I was referring to was the Princeton Review ranking that placed BU's faculty as #1 for like the past 5 years, although I see that this year they are ranked #2... behind Washington and Lee, which tells you something about the validity of their ranking scheme.

Nonetheless, it's a statistic that was drummed into my head while at BUSL.

I agree with you though, that the decision comes down to which place feels better.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
robustpuppy

Thread title

I have no deep thoughts on BC or BU. I was accepted to both and went to neither. If I had to choose, I'd lean toward the more urban option, but that's because I like to have lots of restaurant choices.

The real reason I'm chiming in is that the title of this thread irks me. [If you can truthfully tell me that the [Seeking], [s], and [on] are implied, I'll be de-irked.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Thread title

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
I have no deep thoughts on BC or BU. I was accepted to both and went to neither. If I had to choose, I'd lean toward the more urban option, but that's because I like to have lots of restaurant choices.

The real reason I'm chiming in is that the title of this thread irks me. [If you can truthfully tell me that the [Seeking], [s], and [on] are implied, I'll be de-irked.
Grasshopper nubova: Here RP, a seasoned old hand, provides a brief glimpse into your future, spending your entire life with people who parse headings on internet chat boards focused on subjects in which they have no interest.

Are you sure about your chosen path? For once you hop down this road, there will be no return.

When you can take the gerunds from my lips, grasshopper, you will be ready to go out in the world and explore the mysteries of the bluebook.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
robustpuppy

Thread title

Quote:
Originally posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Grasshopper nubova: Here RP, a seasoned old hand, provides a brief glimpse into your future, spending your entire life with people who parse headings on internet chat boards focused on subjects in which they have no interest.

Are you sure about your chosen path? For once you hop down this road, there will be no return.

When you can take the gerunds from my lips, grasshopper, you will be ready to go out in the world and explore the mysteries of the bluebook.
Simply saying "don't go to law school" never works. At least the oblique approach gave me some pleasure.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #11
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Thread title

Quote:

Would it de-irk you if I admitted that I read the thread title as "Prospective Boston Law Student", even though I see now that is clearly not what it says?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #12
ltl/fb

Thread title

Quote:
Simply saying "don't go to law school" never works. At least the oblique approach gave me some pleasure.
I had concluded it was supposed to be "Perspective -- Boston Law." Though, that really needs a "Schools" at the end to make it distinguishable from someone asking about Boston law firms.
ltl/fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Thread title

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
I had concluded it was supposed to be "Perspective -- Boston Law." Though, that really needs a "Schools" at the end to make it distinguishable from someone asking about Boston law firms.
At some point, the critique ought to progress to the first sentance. "Actual practicing attorneys" is redundant - wouldn't "practing attorneys" get you there? And the waffling is over the top, with the "it seems", "seems to fall" and so on -- come out and say it boy.

Frankly, based on this post, I'm not sure he has the raw material we require. He should go to BU.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #14
credit this

BC/BU

Quote:
Originally posted by bold_n_brazen
What I was referring to was the Princeton Review ranking that placed BU's faculty as #1 for like the past 5 years...
Would it be too rude to ask WTF is the Princeton Review?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

BC/BU

Quote:
Originally posted by credit this
Would it be too rude to ask WTF is the Princeton Review?
http://www.princetonreview.com

Did you have a good time at BC?