LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 142
0 members and 142 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #1006
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: another level of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Counter: Nobody could reasonably anticipate anyone writing what she wrote.
She dressed as Hitler and posed putting gingerbread men in an oven. Nothing about what she wrote was unpredictable.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #1007
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I love that. I absolutely love that idea.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #1008
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
She dressed as Hitler and posed putting gingerbread men in an oven. Nothing about what she wrote was unpredictable.
That was a really awful joke made in terrible taste, but I could see her going for a Mel Brooks-on-acid-satire there.

Her tweet of yesterday was just vile, dumb, racist shit. There wasn't even a hint of an attempt at misunderstood or politically incorrect humor.

It was so flat and ugly, and so lacked any useful purpose or point, she actually might have been on Ambien when she typed it. But that doesn't excuse it to any extent.

(I say all of this without knowing much about her previous tweets or her show, past or present. Never followed her. Never liked her show.)

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-30-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Old 05-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #1009
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
In a magazine directed to Jewish people and making bad taste jokes. There was plenty of evidence of insanity elsewhere, but I give her a pass on the Hitler photo.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #1010
Not Bob

Quote:
That was a really awful joke made in terrible taste, but I could see her going for a Mel Brooks-on-acid-satire there.

Her tweet of yesterday was just vile, dumb, racist shit. There wasn't even a hint of an attempt at misunderstood or politically incorrect humor.

It was so flat and ugly, and so lacked any useful purpose or point, she actually might have been on Ambien when she typed it. But that doesn't excuse it to any extent.

(I say all of this without knowing much about her previous tweets or her show, past or present. Never followed her. Never liked her show.)
Except that she previously did the same sort of ape comparison thing to Susan Rice.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #1011
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Except that she previously did the same sort of ape comparison thing to Susan Rice.
I just looked that one up ("susan rice is a man with big swinging ape balls"). It's pretty bad. But it's not unequivocally racist. It's arguably sexist, and arguably just demented and strange.

I don't think I can get on the ABC "bought the ticket" ride yet. I think the blame on this one lies exclusively with Barr.

It's also worth noting, this woman really needs to see a shrink. It's clear she's a racist. But there are tens of millions of racists in this country who go about their business every day, keeping their ugly views to themselves. They're closeted racists, because... how else can one be racist? Unless you're a really rich racist, running around touting your racism will quickly make you a racist-without-a-job-and-money. What kind of person has the #1 show on TV and thinks, "I'm going to use a racial slur on Twitter today... That seems fun. I can do that, right?" If Barr wants the proverbial "second act," she needs to disappear for three years and pop up on Netflix, in a series about self sabotage. Rebrand her behavior as fear of success, and examine why some people (JT Miller comes to mind) seemingly intentionally blow themselves up at the peak. Call it "Failure from the Jaws of Success."

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-30-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #1012
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: We are all Slave now.

Ty, I could do lunch in the City tomorrow. Don't know Slave's availability. Text or call me at 415.990.3487
Old 05-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #1013
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: Whew

Quote:
It's a nothing burger. Trump himself is not going to get nailed for collusion. Nobody allows the village idiot in on the conspiracy. Political Organization 101: Never give the top guy info that could force him to lie later. Everyone knows that. Even the dimmest bulbs like Flynn.

Manafort and Gates got nailed for tax shenanigans, bank fraud, and failing to register as foreign agents. You could charge half of DC with those crimes if you put them under a microscope. Every white collar prosecution has some bullshit wire or bank fraud claim in it.

They got Flynn for failing to register and whatever else they've refrained from charging regarding his attempts to line his pockets. Ugly? Sure. So he's the Admin's Spiro Agnew.

Papadopoulous: Lying to agents.

Van der Zaaan: Lying to agents. What'd he get? 90 days?

13 of the indictments were Russian techies.

Oh, and of course, I'm sure conspiracy charges were included somewhere in those five indictments of administration people listed above.

Maybe my standard is a bit higher than yours, but this isn't looking like Watergate on Steroids. It's looking like a bunch of sleazy folks with skeletons in their closets who should have known better than to get involved with pikers like the Trump Org. And who'd otherwise be walking around, enjoying their ill-gotten gains, as millions of others do (particularly in their chosen fields) all day long.

So yeah, nothing burger. For now. But I wait to be surprised by Mueller... He's a smart and thorough guy. If there's something, he'll find it. But it's not going to nail Trump himself. And no, obstruction won't cut it.
I think there's something wrong with you. But whatever. This isn't worth anyone's time.

TM
Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #1014
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Having dealt with about half of the top 10 biggest law firms (litigation departments) in this country, I will never figure out why big companies choose to pay them $800+/hour. It just doesn't make any sense. I mean, more power to those firms who can convince their clients to pay that (seriously), but I'm just not seeing the value. I'm reading a complaint right now that looks like it was drafted by a 2nd year law student (or Rudy Guiliani). It's embarrassing. How does this even get filed? And I rarely see a small shop guy intimidated by BIGLAW litigators (unless it's someone famous like Dan Webb or PLF).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
No in-house lawyer ever lost their job for hiring litigators from one of those firms. That's all it is. If one of those firms fucks things up, it's on the firm. If a firm no one has heard of fucks things up, it's on the in-house lawyer who hired them.
And the relationships with the people making the decisions on who gets hired run deep with those big firms.

TM
Old 05-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #1015
Not Bob

Quote:
I just looked that one up ("susan rice is a man with big swinging ape balls"). It's pretty bad. But it's not unequivocally racist. It's arguably sexist, and arguably just demented and strange.
Dude, I love you like that younger cousin who annoyed everyone by using “money” as a substitute for “cool”, “neat-o”, or “the cat’s pajamas” for an entire summer, but anytime one compares a black woman or man to an ape, one is a racist. It’s a comparison that has a long and specific history of being used to dehumanize blacks such that they could be held as property (or given fewer rights after 1865 than whites) by society at large.

Even if someone doesn’t “know” that, it is still racist because the culture that created and perpetuates that comparison is racist (or “white dominant” if you prefer a little euphemism with your coffee).
Old 05-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #1016
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
This is what drives people of color insane. You can be presented with a string of racist, anti-Semitic bullshit and you will look at each, individually in the best possible light. You (and not just you) know it's racist. You know it's anti-Semitic. And yet you will twist yourself and your logic into knots to try to excuse or overlook it. It's fucking racist. She's a racist. Take the evidence in your face at face value.

This is done with everything from police violence to promotions at work to voting suppression to foreign policy to whatever. It is absolutely amazing to watch people break their back bending backwards trying to read something in the best light in order to say what is obviously racist might not be. Fuck outta here.

TM
Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #1017
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Dude, I love you like that younger cousin who annoyed everyone by using “money” as a substitute for “cool”, “neat-o”, or “the cat’s pajamas” for an entire summer, but anytime one compares a black woman or man to an ape, one is a racist. It’s a comparison that has a long and specific history of being used to dehumanize blacks such that they could be held as property (or given fewer rights after 1865 than whites) by society at large.

Even if someone doesn’t “know” that, it is still racist because the culture that created and perpetuates that comparison is racist (or “white dominant” if you prefer a little euphemism with your coffee).
I agree 100%.

But the Rice comment had some wiggle room. She could have weaved around that comment. PR flacks could have handled it. The Jarrett comment had zero wiggle room.

The proof is ABC's quick cancellation. You know damn well that wasn't just doing the right thing. Nobody in entertainment does things solely because it's the right thing to do. Management looked at that comment, looked for an explanation, for wiggle room, for anything, and finding nothing, they did what they'd no choice but to do.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #1018
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
This is what drives people of color insane. You can be presented with a string of racist, anti-Semitic bullshit and you will look at each, individually in the best possible light. You (and not just you) know it's racist. You know it's anti-Semitic. And yet you will twist yourself and your logic into knots to try to excuse or overlook it. It's fucking racist. She's a racist. Take the evidence in your face at face value.

This is done with everything from police violence to promotions at work to voting suppression to foreign policy to whatever. It is absolutely amazing to watch people break their back bending backwards trying to read something in the best light in order to say what is obviously racist might not be. Fuck outta here.

TM
I'm coming from an inside baseball perspective. I'm not saying it isn't racist. I'm saying it's arguably not racist. Assume I'm a PR for purposes of these discussions.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #1019
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I'm coming from an inside baseball perspective. I'm not saying it isn't racist. I'm saying it's arguably not racist. Assume I'm a PR for purposes of these discussions.
Right. An academic exercise. The point of the post isn't to accuse you of racism or even to point out what you're doing here. It's to let you know that this is the thought process that almost every white person I come into contact with whenever there is a discussion on race goes through. "But he could have meant..." "I'm sure she didn't mean..." "It could be read like this..." "If you stand on your head and read it with one eye closed..." etfuckingcetera.

TM
Old 05-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #1020
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
Right. An academic exercise. The point of the post isn't to accuse you of racism or even to point out what you're doing here. It's to let you know that this is the thought process that almost every white person I come into contact with whenever there is a discussion on race goes through. "But he could have meant..." "I'm sure she didn't mean..." "It could be read like this..." "If you stand on your head and read it with one eye closed..." etfuckingcetera.

TM
It's kinda the same thing that the NYT reporters were doing the other day when they wouldn't say that Trump was lying because who knew whether he was intentionally telling falsehoods or recklessly couldn't be bothered to care about the facts? Or, for that matter, what reporters did yesterday when the Missouri governor resigned over "sexual misconduct" -- "rape" has only four letters and is easy to spell. "To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle," George Orwell.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Closed Thread