LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 118
0 members and 118 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #4966
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Her initial proposal was an over $50M 2% tax, but I view it as a start to get talking about wealth taxes in general.

So I'm talking.
I mean, lots of these people are already paying that much to a financial advisor, so...
Old 01-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #4967
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

It's always the insurance lawyers - http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...-colleges-espn
Old 01-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #4968
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
It's always the insurance lawyers - http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...-colleges-espn
"Wow, what we now know about the threat of permanent injury to our children's brains from playing football is making it really expensive to get insurance -- maybe that's a sign that it's too dangerous and harmful," said no one.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #4969
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
"Wow, what we now know about the threat of permanent injury to our children's brains from playing football is making it really expensive to get insurance -- maybe that's a sign that it's too dangerous and harmful," said no one.
Shouldn't there be assumption of risk? Like the game is intended to give you brain injury and you are playing trying to deliver as much. Reminds me of these people reading the 200 post exchanges between you and Sebby. You are gonna read that then complain you feel a bit loopy?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #4970
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Shouldn't there be assumption of risk? Like the game is intended to give you brain injury and you are playing trying to deliver as much. Reminds me of these people reading the 200 post exchanges between you and Sebby. You are gonna read that then complain you feel a bit loopy?
Yeah, but kids that play Pop Warner aren’t exactly able to make those sorts of decisions. And if 5jose leagues and schools are uninsurable, who is going on to college to assume the risk.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 01-30-2019, 02:01 AM   #4971
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Yeah, but kids that play Pop Warner aren’t exactly able to make those sorts of decisions. And if 5jose leagues and schools are uninsurable, who is going on to college to assume the risk.
C"mon, 8 year olds assume the risk. Or, their parents assume it for them, right?

It is an interesting debate that relates to, say, religious home schooling, or anti-vaxximg, Christian Science, or just the basic question of how nanny will the state be?

Let's say we go single payer, do I get to tell my co-payer neighbor that she cannot let her son play football? Can I force her to stop smoking because of the exposure to her son? Less soda and chips in the trash cans? More wheat germ? A directed diet and lifestyle? Health camps and kibbutzes?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #4972
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I was just trying to insult Ty/Sebby. Although the brain injuries are probably not so much at the youth level?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #4973
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
C"mon, 8 year olds assume the risk. Or, their parents assume it for them, right?

It is an interesting debate that relates to, say, religious home schooling, or anti-vaxximg, Christian Science, or just the basic question of how nanny will the state be?

Let's say we go single payer, do I get to tell my co-payer neighbor that she cannot let her son play football? Can I force her to stop smoking because of the exposure to her son? Less soda and chips in the trash cans? More wheat germ? A directed diet and lifestyle? Health camps and kibbutzes?
So, you played a lot of football when young?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #4974
Not Bob

There is no political solution/to our troubled evolution.

Hey guys, did you know that we* are an early legal industry message board?

*Yes, *we* are the remnant of the Old Republic, choosing exile rather than giving up sex talk and PG (not even PG-13!) language. Fuck West and what they did to Infirm.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #4975
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

I'm just saying that unless Pop Warner wants to self-insure, they've got some serious problems going forward no matter how many waivers they get the kids parents to sign their brain rights away if they can't get insurance. And if there are no youth programs, then the quality and availability of players in college and professional is going to decline to the point that it won't be worth it anymore.

There's a related discussion going on on the thread on this topic on my facebook page regarding worker's comp should universal coverage come forth.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 01-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #4976
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
I was just trying to insult Ty/Sebby. Although the brain injuries are probably not so much at the youth level?

Depends on the injury. Depends on the youth.*

*Disclaimer, my head injury was sustained when I was 22 and playing rugby. I was knocked cold, split open an eyebrow, and was pissed as hell when I woke up that they wouldn't let me continue the game. The doc that stitched me up said "Don't drink as much as you usually do tonight." Ah, England. The next morning was one of the top three hangovers of my life.

I think I'm ok.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #4977
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
I'm just saying that unless Pop Warner wants to self-insure, they've got some serious problems going forward no matter how many waivers they get the kids parents to sign their brain rights away if they can't get insurance. And if there are no youth programs, then the quality and availability of players in college and professional is going to decline to the point that it won't be worth it anymore.
Disagree. There will always be a large reserve of poor, black, disposable kids to be taken advantage of.

TM
Old 01-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #4978
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Although the brain injuries are probably not so much at the youth level?
I have read people saying it's worse at the youth level. Developing brains and stuff.

Last edited by Adder; 01-30-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Old 01-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #4979
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I don't show my children my exchanges with Sebby. And clearly we have already suffered the brain damage.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-30-2019, 04:52 PM   #4980
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I have read people saying it's worse at the youth level. Developing brains and stuff.
I was assuming due to the reduced size of the people hitting you it might be less dangerous.