LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 221
0 members and 221 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #2251
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Re: mortgage help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
space fuck- I meant assume this is a rental property, can I deduct realtor fees (i have a buyer's broker) or treat this as an expense against profits? also, assume I pay some closing fees- any tax relief?
Realtor fees are more likely than not going to have to be added to the basis of the property and won't be deducted, but will be used to offset gain/increase loss on the sale of the property.

If the fees are financing related, then they are amortized over the life of the mortgage unless you pay them upfront with cash out of pocket, in which case they are deductible.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #2252
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
Realtor fees are more likely than not going to have to be added to the basis of the property and won't be deducted, but will be used to offset gain/increase loss on the sale of the property.

If the fees are financing related, then they are amortized over the life of the mortgage unless you pay them upfront with cash out of pocket, in which case they are deductible.
thank-yoo.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #2253
PresentTense Pirate Penske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Also, kinda a lot of hostility toward a sock that has no obligation or necessarily interest in giving tax advice.
Righteous way to have my back! Grazie signore. Indeed, I punt on tax law. Corp fin, structured fin, re fin, and healthcare. outsource tax. i don't believe in it and can't stomach the concept. no offence to wonk.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #2254
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresentTense Pirate Penske View Post
Righteous way to have my back! Grazie signore. Indeed, I punt on tax law. Corp fin, structured fin, re fin, and healthcare. outsource tax. i don't believe in it and can't stomach the concept. no offence to wonk.
i'm not saying you're going on ignore, yet, BUT I will not wiki research an atticus-style response regarding you ever again.

you know how many personalities sybil had, and I sorted through all that?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #2255

Quote:
i'm not saying you're going on ignore, yet, BUT I will not wiki research an atticus-style response regarding you ever again.

you know how many personalities sybil had, and I sorted through all that?
NWTF?!?!?

BFF?

yp,

ptpp
Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #2256
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

different kind of mortgage help

I have a friend who lives abroad and is refinancing a house he owns near me. So he has asked me to sign for him at the closing under a power of attorney, and being an amiable sort, I naturally agreed.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time getting him to explain to me exactly what he wants me to do at the closing. The lender and title company say they will send him a complete set of the final papers the day before the closing, so he can review them. But then what? One possibility is that he relies on their representation, and instructs me simply to sign whatever they put in front of me the next day. Alternatively, he could send me his set of papers, and I could compare them line by line to the copies I'm signing. The first option seems too trusting, and the second seems like overkill. What's the best way for us to handle this?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #2257
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

Re: different kind of mortgage help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I have a friend who lives abroad and is refinancing a house he owns near me. So he has asked me to sign for him at the closing under a power of attorney, and being an amiable sort, I naturally agreed.

The problem is, I'm having a hard time getting him to explain to me exactly what he wants me to do at the closing. The lender and title company say they will send him a complete set of the final papers the day before the closing, so he can review them. But then what? One possibility is that he relies on their representation, and instructs me simply to sign whatever they put in front of me the next day. Alternatively, he could send me his set of papers, and I could compare them line by line to the copies I'm signing. The first option seems too trusting, and the second seems like overkill. What's the best way for us to handle this?
This is pretty typical course--actually, lender frequently will not provide docs until *at* closing. I think it's pretty much the same as if your friend were signing directly, and you were along as counsel--spot check key provisions (really, anything with numbers) and ensure there are no extra riders or anything; it is extraordinarily unlikely, for a variety of reasons, that they would change anything in the form except the numbers.

The most important thing is the closing statement and the payoff/release of the current mortgage.

pm if you have detailed questions.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #2258
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post

i'm buying a place in savannah Ga. and want to do it from the 248. I just signed the mortgage papers. as understood, someone with my POA will need to be there to sign whatever else.

I'm guessing "whatever else" will be closing papers and what I signed was more in the nature of aplication papers.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #2259

Quote:
i'm buying a place in savannah Ga. and want to do it from the 248. I just signed the mortgage papers. as understood, someone with my POA will need to be there to sign whatever else.

I'm guessing "whatever else" will be closing papers and what I signed was more in the nature of aplication papers.
Whatever else is probably the mortgage and note plus closing docs, no?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #2260

Hi!

FD: [True confession] I just gave up my bidet and corner office for the lure of entrepreneurial venture. I am having regrets. [/true confession]
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #2261
Hank Chinaski

Re: Hi!

Quote:
FD: [True confession] I just gave up my bidet and corner office for the lure of entrepreneurial venture. I am having regrets. [/true confession]
i'm coming up on my tenth anniversary of this- best decision I ever made, next to giving your children my last name.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #2262
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Do explain - by e-mail or PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #2263

Quote:
i next to giving your children my last name.
In 20/20 hindsight, knowing now that you would do that for me, my best decision was fully enjoying the moments with your wife and not worrying about the latex barriers.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Do explain - by e-mail or PM.
firstnamelastname@gmail.com??
Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #2265
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
I understand the entrepreneurial venture not having a bidet, but why no corner office? Did you rent space in a circular building? Aren't you the big cheese in the new venture?