LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tailgate Party (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323)

pretermitted_child 10-23-2003 02:54 PM

Interest in FB Table?

Quote:

Originally posted by notcasesensitive
rp, you can even sit at the table and talk to us while you learn. The program allows you to sit out. Go to truepoker.com to get the download and set up your profile.
In terms of practicing, I've found that playing against one opponent and working my way up to a full table is helpful. It's very much like learning how to juggle because one of the skills that you need to develop is spotting betting patterns, which is easier to do for one opponent than against nine (a full table), and developing a sense of the probability that the dealer will deal a card that will strengthen your hand or that, given the cards on the table, your opponent has a stronger hand than you do.

andViolins 10-24-2003 10:08 AM

realpoker.com

I would love to try to play, but my home computer is dial-up and I am concerned that the connection will be too slow for me to participate. Does anyone else have a dial-up connection who has played and suffered no difficulties.

The positive aspect of me joining in the game is that I suck at poker.

aV

notcasesensitive 10-24-2003 10:31 AM

realpoker.com

Quote:

Originally posted by andViolins
I would love to try to play, but my home computer is dial-up and I am concerned that the connection will be too slow for me to participate. Does anyone else have a dial-up connection who has played and suffered no difficulties.

The positive aspect of me joining in the game is that I suck at poker.

aV
it is actually truepoker.com. my bf had dialup and played on it some (he has since gotten dsl, so no longer true). it worked for dialup for him, although it did sort of annoy him that it was slow. it is possible...

SlaveNoMore 10-24-2003 12:46 PM

You are all Lucky

I am sans computer these days, so I won't be able to rake you guys over the coals.

str8outavannuys 10-24-2003 01:00 PM

Interest in FB Table?

Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
Ain't that a kick in the head? I'm glad it's play money--if that happened IRL, I think I would cry. Unless there was a nice bad beat jackpot, then it wouldn't be as bad. My online play has taught me one thing--I have no business playing with real money.
Bad beat jackpots (at least in California) require that you lose with Aces-full or better to four-of-a-kind or better. It almost always happens when three aces hit the board.

I've gotten a table-share once. I was a newbie. Everyone went nuts, and was yelling for low cards. I didn't really understand why. Turns out, someone had A-10, and someone else had a pocket pair.

Here's the thing, for the house to pay-off, both hole cards must play. So the person sitting with A-10 was rooting for low cards to hit the board on the turn and the river. They did. The bad-beat jackpot ($8800) got split 20% (hand winner)/ 60%(hand loser)/ 20% (split among the rest of the players at the table). So my table share was about $350.

Kick ass. I expected the action at that 3/6 table to get a little looser after the jackpot. It didn't.

Interestingly, jackpots have created a new breed of poker player - the jackpot rat. They sit around and play very tight strategies with the goal of lasting as long as they can, hoping to hit jackpots.

str8outavannuys 10-24-2003 01:07 PM

Interest in FB Table?

Quote:

Originally posted by pretermitted_child
In terms of practicing, I've found that playing against one opponent and working my way up to a full table is helpful. It's very much like learning how to juggle because one of the skills that you need to develop is spotting betting patterns, which is easier to do for one opponent than against nine (a full table), and developing a sense of the probability that the dealer will deal a card that will strengthen your hand or that, given the cards on the table, your opponent has a stronger hand than you do.
It's a lot easier to focus on opponents' patterns IRL than online. That's because avatars aren't as distinctive as people. There's a lot more white noise, but you quickly learn to filter it out and focus on what's important.

That said, when starting out, it's very helpful, even when playing at a full table, to focus most of your sleuthing on one or two players. You do that, you're ahead of 90% of the idiots out there.

Another tip when playing with amateurs -- find the guy who looks like he's trying to pay attention to everyone. He's easily mislead. If you want to play tight, just play one hand with him loose, and he'll think he's got you pegged. You can take advantage of that for the rest of the session.

notcasesensitive 10-24-2003 01:20 PM

Interest in FB Table?

Quote:

Originally posted by str8outavannuys
It's a lot easier to focus on opponents' patterns IRL than online. That's because avatars aren't as distinctive as people. There's a lot more white noise, but you quickly learn to filter it out and focus on what's important.

That said, when starting out, it's very helpful, even when playing at a full table, to focus most of your sleuthing on one or two players. You do that, you're ahead of 90% of the idiots out there.

Another tip when playing with amateurs -- find the guy who looks like he's trying to pay attention to everyone. He's easily mislead. If you want to play tight, just play one hand with him loose, and he'll think he's got you pegged. You can take advantage of that for the rest of the session.
So next time I'm in LA are you going to go to bicycle club with me or will I have to be a clueless newbie on my own? Are you still off the gambling?

Flinty_McFlint 10-24-2003 08:35 PM

Interest in FB Table?

Quote:

Originally posted by str8outavannuys
Bad beat jackpots (at least in California) require that you lose with Aces-full or better to four-of-a-kind or better. It almost always happens when three aces hit the board.

I've gotten a table-share once. I was a newbie. Everyone went nuts, and was yelling for low cards. I didn't really understand why. Turns out, someone had A-10, and someone else had a pocket pair.

Here's the thing, for the house to pay-off, both hole cards must play. So the person sitting with A-10 was rooting for low cards to hit the board on the turn and the river. They did. The bad-beat jackpot ($8800) got split 20% (hand winner)/ 60%(hand loser)/ 20% (split among the rest of the players at the table). So my table share was about $350.

Kick ass. I expected the action at that 3/6 table to get a little looser after the jackpot. It didn't.

Interestingly, jackpots have created a new breed of poker player - the jackpot rat. They sit around and play very tight strategies with the goal of lasting as long as they can, hoping to hit jackpots.
I wish I were better/richer/braver, and I'd try and play more at real poker houses. Instead, I just play in Vegas, and still lose money, but it's a flight away, instead of 15 minutes. I guess that's a good thing.

notcasesensitive 10-29-2003 03:17 PM

reminder

Poker table tonight, 9:30 CST. Truepoker. First one there sets up a table and posts the name of the table (and which server it is on) on this board. Yay!

Flinty_McFlint 10-29-2003 07:58 PM

reminder

Quote:

Poker table tonight, 9:30 CST. Truepoker. First one there sets up a table and posts the name of the table (and which server it is on) on this board. Yay!
Excellent, hope to see all of you on there later. Try and save a seat for me to the left of str8 "over the top" outtavannuys.

:D

Flinty

evenodds 10-29-2003 08:21 PM

reminder

Quote:

Excellent, hope to see all of you on there later.
Hey, y'all. The OddMan is working from home tonight on his truepoker compatible computer, so I will be a no show.

If only you had a mac-compatible game, I would be able to play without working around his schedule.

Flinty_McFlint 10-29-2003 08:45 PM

reminder

Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
Hey, y'all. The OddMan is working from home tonight on his truepoker compatible computer, so I will be a no show.

If only you had a mac-compatible game, I would be able to play without working around his schedule.
[apologies to TM for stealing his bit]

Translation: I'm afraid to lose my fake money to y'all, and will passively-agressively blame it on my choice of computers.

:P

We'll miss you.

evenodds 10-29-2003 10:00 PM

reminder

Quote:

[apologies to TM for stealing his bit]

Translation: I'm afraid to lose my fake money to y'all, and will passively-agressively blame it on my choice of computers.

:P

We'll miss you.
:eek: You are so awful. I would much rather lose all my fake money to y'all rather than listen to him talk about IT crap.

When will the first annual strip poker tournament be held?

notcasesensitive 10-29-2003 10:18 PM

hold em table

I have one set up on the Maxim server. it is Notcase's table. I'm sad that e/o is not kicking the om off his computer to join us though because I've never taken any of her money. like ships that pass in the night, and etc.

andViolins 10-30-2003 11:18 AM

hold em table

Quote:

I have one set up on the Maxim server. it is Notcase's table. I'm sad that e/o is not kicking the om off his computer to join us though because I've never taken any of her money. like ships that pass in the night, and etc.
How did the game go last night? Who won all the fake money? I went to the site to check it out, and saw that downloading the program would take 40+ minutes. I fucking hate dial-up.

aV