LawTalkers

LawTalkers (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tailgate Party (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational (http://www.lawtalkers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323)

Flinty_McFlint 07-02-2003 05:05 PM

1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational
 
Okay, many of you have expressed an interest in playing a friendly round of poker over the internet. Thanks to Jack Manfred, we have found a suitable place to play at www.truepoker.com. You will need to download the software and pick a screen name. I've run a spybot and adaware program after the install, and I don't think there's any spyware in the program.

So far we have about 5 people interested in a game, so please let me know if you're interested, and we'll try and set up a time to play that works for West Coast and East Coast participants. I think we should have fun--it's only play money.

Best,

Flinty

SlaveNoMore 07-02-2003 06:45 PM

1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational
 
Quote:

Flinty_McFlint
Okay, many of you have expressed an interest in playing a friendly round of poker over the internet. Thanks to Jack Manfred, we have found a suitable place to play at www.truepoker.com. You will need to download the software and pick a screen name. I've run a spybot and adaware program after the install, and I don't think there's any spyware in the program.
Count me in, and I'll bring the scotch and cigars.

not7yS

evenodds 07-02-2003 06:54 PM

1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
West Coast and East Coast participants
Don't forget us Texans on the "third coast"!

Even(how I wish I were joking)Odds

Flinty_McFlint 07-02-2003 07:21 PM

1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational
 
Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
Don't forget us Texans on the "third coast"!

Even(how I wish I were joking)Odds
Oh hell, I consider everything right of Vegas to be the East Coast, no insult intended. In fact I respect and fear our Texas players the most, they're all crafty check-raising slow playin fools all out to get my play money.

Slave--welcome to the game, what times are good for you--you're an east coast guy, right?


Flinty

SlaveNoMore 07-02-2003 09:25 PM

1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
Oh hell, I consider everything right of Vegas to be the East Coast, no insult intended. In fact I respect and fear our Texas players the most, they're all crafty check-raising slow playin fools all out to get my play money.

Slave--welcome to the game, what times are good for you--you're an east coast guy, right?

Flinty
East Coast/West Coast drunken insomniac -all the same thing.

not7yS

lookingformarket 07-02-2003 11:45 PM

Count me in. East Coast between 10 PM and 2 AM works for me.

Jack Manfred 07-03-2003 02:34 AM

poker, Poker, POKER!
 
I'm in. No particular time works best for me. I suppose weekends. Can't play at work.

notcasesensitive 07-03-2003 10:47 AM

poker, Poker, POKER!
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Jack Manfred
I'm in. No particular time works best for me. I suppose weekends. Can't play at work.
Ditto on the work hours issue. Otherwise, any time is good. E/O and I are going to have to duke it out for who gets to be "Cowboy".

evenodds 07-03-2003 10:57 AM

poker, Poker, POKER!
 
Quote:

Originally posted by notcasesensitive

Ditto on the work hours issue. Otherwise, any time is good. E/O and I are going to have to duke it out for who gets to be "Cowboy".
That's all you.

Replaced_Texan 07-03-2003 11:16 AM

I'm in. Evenin' hours works for me too. Work download issues.

Flinty_McFlint 07-03-2003 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
I'm in. Evenin' hours works for me too. Work download issues.

Agreed, I wasn't going to suggest playing at work, unless, of course, you're the boss. And I sure am not.

My true poker Screen Name is Flinty--there is a tab somewhere that tells you where players are at. With the exception of Evenodds, I don't know any of your screennames, so when I'm on, I'll just start a table, "Flinty's Table" and you'll have to join and ID yourself. Then, we can play a little bit. I'm thinking that we pick a weekday night sometime to have the set game, once everyone is back from their long weekends, but I'll be on over the weekend periodically, as I'm staying at the homestead BBQ'ing with Mrs. Flinty this holiday weekend.

Hope to see you,

Flinty

p.s. an enterprising young player, with a newly minted sock, has suggested that we play for real money. Anyone else besides me interested? I'm sure we'd all learn something while losing our money...

evenodds 07-03-2003 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
p.s. an enterprising young player, with a newly minted sock, has suggested that we play for real money. Anyone else besides me interested? I'm sure we'd all learn something while losing our money...
Not me. I am the newbie of the group anyway, so I intend to give up my pride in these games. I am certainly not also giving you my money.

notcasesensitive 07-03-2003 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
Agreed, I wasn't going to suggest playing at work, unless, of course, you're the boss. And I sure am not.

My true poker Screen Name is Flinty--there is a tab somewhere that tells you where players are at. With the exception of Evenodds, I don't know any of your screennames, so when I'm on, I'll just start a table, "Flinty's Table" and you'll have to join and ID yourself. Then, we can play a little bit. I'm thinking that we pick a weekday night sometime to have the set game, once everyone is back from their long weekends, but I'll be on over the weekend periodically, as I'm staying at the homestead BBQ'ing with Mrs. Flinty this holiday weekend.

Hope to see you,

Flinty

p.s. an enterprising young player, with a newly minted sock, has suggested that we play for real money. Anyone else besides me interested? I'm sure we'd all learn something while losing our money...
I'll look for you. I'm Notcase (go figure). I'm still doing play money. I'm staying at the homestead this weekend too...

Flinty_McFlint 07-03-2003 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
Not me. I am the newbie of the group anyway, so I intend to give up my pride in these games. I am certainly not also giving you my money.
But E/O, that's the best way to learn. Any fool can go and stick around with 10 5 offsuit when it's just play money, but to play with real money makes the game more realistic. And exciting. But then again, baby steps.

:)

evenodds 07-03-2003 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint

But E/O, that's the best way to learn. Any fool can go and stick around with 10 5 offsuit when it's just play money, but to play with real money makes the game more realistic. And exciting. But then again, baby steps.
Heh, nice try.

Flinty_McFlint 07-03-2003 03:28 PM

oh well
 
Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
Heh, nice try.
Well, I do still have law school loans to pay off, you know.

See you!

pretermitted_child 07-04-2003 06:45 AM

Count me in. My screenname is Pretermitted.

SlaveNoMore 07-05-2003 04:07 PM

1st Annual FB Hold'em Poker Invitational
 
Quote:

Flinty_McFlint
Slave--welcome to the game, what times are good for you--you're an east coast guy, right?
FYI -

I'm usually playing on the Maxim server, not the true poker one.

Replaced_Texan 07-07-2003 03:33 PM

My name is
 
Replcdtexn

Ex_post_Festo 07-14-2003 09:42 AM

Was anyone playing this weekend?
 
I was in and around Truepoker this past week and over the weekend, but didn't see any opf the usual suspects milling about as advertised. Was anyone there and I missed you? Maybe if someone (okay, me) suggested a time; 9:00 PM EDT Wed?

epF

notcasesensitive 07-14-2003 09:48 AM

Was anyone playing this weekend?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Ex_post_Festo
I was in and around Truepoker this past week and over the weekend, but didn't see any opf the usual suspects milling about as advertised. Was anyone there and I missed you? Maybe if someone (okay, me) suggested a time; 9:00 PM EDT Wed?

epF
I was playing a little bit. Saw Flinty once, bit the room he was playing in was full. I have plans on Weds night, but look for me when you are on the site other nights... Have you been in the MAXIM server or the other one? Is your log in ex post festo?

evenodds 07-14-2003 11:05 AM

Was anyone playing this weekend?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Ex_post_Festo Maybe if someone (okay, me) suggested a time; 9:00 PM EDT Wed?
That time works for me.

Flinty_McFlint 07-14-2003 12:44 PM

Was anyone playing this weekend?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
That time works for me.
Since I'm on the West Coast, I will try and make it later in the session--presuming you can play for more than just 40 mins- 1hour (E/O!). Looking forward to seeing my FB brothers and sisters at the tables--I do seem to play a little each night, so come and find me--I'm strictly on the Maxim server now, a lot more options for us play money players...

Flinty

evenodds 07-14-2003 01:12 PM

Was anyone playing this weekend?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
Since I'm on the West Coast, I will try and make it later in the session--presuming you can play for more than just 40 mins- 1hour (E/O!).
Heeeeeeeey, is it my fault that y'all play on a mac-discrimatory site?

notcasesensitive 07-14-2003 01:33 PM

Was anyone playing this weekend?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
Since I'm on the West Coast, I will try and make it later in the session--presuming you can play for more than just 40 mins- 1hour (E/O!). Looking forward to seeing my FB brothers and sisters at the tables--I do seem to play a little each night, so come and find me--I'm strictly on the Maxim server now, a lot more options for us play money players...

Flinty
How did you like that NL table you were playing? I would have sat down with you but it was full... I started playing Omaha H-L over the weekend. Not sure how the odds work out on that one yet.

Flinty_McFlint 07-14-2003 01:46 PM

Was anyone playing this weekend?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by notcasesensitive
How did you like that NL table you were playing? I would have sat down with you but it was full... I started playing Omaha H-L over the weekend. Not sure how the odds work out on that one yet.
NL 100 Holdem is the way to go. Everyone starts off with 100 bucks (you can replenish), and you can really put people to the test by raising large amounts or going all in. In the standard play money 15/30 games, a lot of people will just call everything, since it's only 120 at the most, and generally lower. When you go all in at the No Limit table, it makes people actually think about it, though a lot of people will just call anyway. The real advantage is that when you catch a large hand, you can make a ton of money.

I played some Omaha HL as well this weekend--it's tough for me because I have no sense of what a playable hand is, there are quite a few more variables going on. I also played in a Holdem tournament, and got knocked out when my K high flush was second best to a full house that filled on the river. Oh well.

Look forward to seeing you and the others on the Maxim site!

Flinty

Replaced_Texan 07-16-2003 09:11 PM

I've set up a table, so look for ReplcdTexn's Table.

evenodds 07-17-2003 05:17 PM

Next Poker Night -- Sunday!
 
Okay, Sunday 9 cst, we will be on the maxim server on www.truepoker.com

First there creates a table. We'll post the name once created.

Be sure to post your screen name here if it is considerably different from your user name on true poker.

See you Sunday!

evenodds 07-20-2003 09:45 PM

Next Poker Night -- Sunday!
 
Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
Okay, Sunday 9 cst, we will be on the maxim server on www.truepoker.com
The table name is "EvenoddsFB's Table."

notcasesensitive 07-25-2003 12:17 PM

Next Poker Night -- Sunday!
 
Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
The table name is "EvenoddsFB's Table."
Anyone interested in a game this Sunday night? I'm actually in town this time and I am ready to lose some fake money to some imaginary friends!!

Flinty_McFlint 07-25-2003 02:14 PM

Next Poker Night -- Sunday!
 
Quote:

Originally posted by notcasesensitive
Anyone interested in a game this Sunday night? I'm actually in town this time and I am ready to lose some fake money to some imaginary friends!!

I'd love to drop by and play with you ncs, what time are you going to be on (I'm 2 hours behind you)? Maybe E/O, Replaced and Slave can make it too. And of course, Mr. Man.

Flinty

notcasesensitive 07-25-2003 02:28 PM

Next Poker Night -- Sunday!
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
I'd love to drop by and play with you ncs, what time are you going to be on (I'm 2 hours behind you)? Maybe E/O, Replaced and Slave can make it too. And of course, Mr. Man.

Flinty
I'll try to get there around 9:30 CST. If we don't have enough people for our own table, we could just find a good NL table on the Maxim server.

Ex_post_Festo 07-25-2003 04:43 PM

Truepoker Raise or Fold Tables
 
Stumbled into one of these recently. I've played at plenty of play-money tables where raise was the default (indeed only) action in most players' repertiore, but to have (quite a few) where that is the explict rule? Why not just play for 4x stakes? What does that add to the game?

Just venting on a boring Friday afternoon. I'll drop in Sun night.

:beer:

notcasesensitive 07-25-2003 06:05 PM

Truepoker Raise or Fold Tables
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Ex_post_Festo
Stumbled into one of these recently. I've played at plenty of play-money tables where raise was the default (indeed only) action in most players' repertiore, but to have (quite a few) where that is the explict rule? Why not just play for 4x stakes? What does that add to the game?

Just venting on a boring Friday afternoon. I'll drop in Sun night.

I wondered the same thing. I accidently went in one once and I didn't like it. Maybe if I understood the thought pattern behind it I could at least respect it but alas my tiny mind cannot comprehend it.

See you Sunday!

evenodds 07-25-2003 06:38 PM

Truepoker Raise or Fold Tables
 
Quote:

Originally posted by notcasesensitive
I wondered the same thing. I accidently went in one once and I didn't like it. Maybe if I understood the thought pattern behind it I could at least respect it but alas my tiny mind cannot comprehend it.

See you Sunday!
I am not sure if I will make it. MomOdds paid a surprise visit this week, and decided to stay through the weekend. If she leaves early, I am there.

Flinty_McFlint 07-25-2003 07:11 PM

Truepoker Raise or Fold Tables
 
Quote:

Originally posted by evenodds
I am not sure if I will make it. MomOdds paid a surprise visit this week, and decided to stay through the weekend. If she leaves early, I am there.
Well, does MomOdds play cards?

E/O: I've got pocket Kings....should I slow play them.

MomOdds: Slow play kills, dear.

str8outavannuys 07-27-2003 02:51 PM

True Poker
 
I'm going to try to drop by the poker room tonight. See y'all there.

pretermitted_child 07-27-2003 10:50 PM

Where is everyone?
 
I've created a table.

pretermitted_child 07-28-2003 02:28 AM

Where is everyone?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by pretermitted_child
I've created a table.
FYI - In attendance* tonight were: Replaced Texan, LFM, str8outavannuys, Flinty, notcasesensitive, Mr. Man, and me.

The last FBers left around 12:30am Central Daylight Time. Woo Hoo!

(If I left anyone out, quote this post and flame me :wink: )


* We missed you E/O.

notcasesensitive 07-28-2003 10:43 AM

Where is everyone?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by pretermitted_child
FYI - In attendance* tonight were: Replaced Texan, LFM, str8outavannuys, Flinty, notcasesensitive, Mr. Man, and me.

The last FBers left around 12:30am Central Daylight Time. Woo Hoo!

(If I left anyone out, quote this post and flame me :wink: )


* We missed you E/O.
And those of us who made it until the bitter end are kind of tired this morning... Thanks for helping me part with my (fake) money!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Hosted By: URLJet.com