Go Back   LawTalkers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 108
0 members and 108 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Thread: Son Arrested
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)'s Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pop goes the chupacabra
Posts: 18,530
Originally posted by mmm3587
Just get good criminal counsel. It may suck that your kid got arrested and all that stuff, but it's not about fairness or any of that stuff now; it's just about getting him the best possible deal or resolution. Get competent criminal counsel, and make sure that you personally understand the consequences of probation (may make your kid a felon) or drug convictions in general (may make your kid ineligible for federal financial aid).

It sounds like a bench trial on the merits might be a good idea, but there is a lot of risk associated with that.

Good luck.
Not that I've encountered it first hand, but this strikes me as a not atypical approach to cooerce cooperation from him. You'll definitely need a lawyer familiar with the local DA (hope this isn't federal), and try to get a plea before the passenger with the pot gets one, because he might try to cut a deal too, and rat out your son to reduce his sentence.

Bottom line, though, get a good lawyer, or at least one familiar with this type of crime. Go to the local bar association if you need help identifying someone good.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.