LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 92
0 members and 92 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 PM   #3031
ltl/fb
Registered User
 
ltl/fb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Flyover land
Posts: 19,042
60,000 wakadoos

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
Could they have a correlation but not be connected in any way?
Yes. I can't think of any good examples right now.* A basic statistics textbook would cover this, though.

*I am too focused on pizza.
__________________
I'm using lipstick again.
ltl/fb is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #3032
Spanky
For what it's worth
 
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: With Thumper
Posts: 6,793
strategic bombing

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidd Finch
Okay, so you're the armchair general, with the added benefit of fifty years of hindsight. What would you have done? How would you have avoided the kind of carnage we saw in the island battles? Can you imagine how bad that carnage would have been on the home islands?
You know what is insane, is that the government (military leadership) of Japan wanted to go on fighting after the second atomic bomb. The Emporer had to intervene to force the surrender. He recorded the announcement of surrender on two discs for a broadcast the next day. That night there was an attempted coup and soliders stormed the radio office trying to destroy the discs. A loyal General put down the coup.
Spanky is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #3033
Spanky
For what it's worth
 
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: With Thumper
Posts: 6,793
60,000 wakadoos

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Yes. I can't think of any good examples right now.* A basic statistics textbook would cover this, though.

*I am too focused on pizza.
You are about as helpful as that stupid dictionary. I still don't know what correlation means.
Spanky is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:10 PM   #3034
ltl/fb
Registered User
 
ltl/fb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Flyover land
Posts: 19,042
60,000 wakadoos

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
You are about as helpful as that stupid dictionary. I still don't know what correlation means.
http://www.cut-the-knot.com/do_you_know/misuse.shtml

Also, run a search with the words "correlation causation statistics" and it will pull up a bunch of other discussions.

You are welcome.

ETA wikipedia, while not the encyclopedia britannica or whatever, does have an example related to this that involves Homer and Lisa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla...cal_fallacy%29

Mmmmmm, burgers.
__________________
I'm using lipstick again.

Last edited by ltl/fb; 04-19-2005 at 08:16 PM..
ltl/fb is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 PM   #3035
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,594
strategic bombing

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
By the time Tokyo was firebombed, there had been an awful lot of damage in Japan. I'm not saying that it couldn't be rationalized at the time, but so can many war crimes. The idea that you can bomb another country into giving up is, as it turns out, pretty dubious,
Sherman's March?
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #3036
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,594
strategic bombing

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I'm not talking about the use of atomic bomb, which is where you seem to be going. When the Japanese saw what happened to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they surrendered, although some elements of the military wanted to keep fighting. I wager this would happen if you dropped nuclear weapons on just about any country.
The atom bomb was killing civilians to kill them, wasn't it?
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #3037
Gattigap
Southern charmer
 
Gattigap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: At the Great Altar of Passive Entertainment
Posts: 7,033
strategic bombing

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
Sherman's March?
No.
__________________
I'm done with nonsense here. --- H. Chinaski
Gattigap is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:52 PM   #3038
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,594
strategic bombing

Quote:
Originally posted by Gattigap
No.
You're great great grandma wasn't impregnated by her hubbie- it was a Private from the 21st illinois- does that shit break your will to fight?
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:52 PM   #3039
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)
 
Replaced_Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Romantically enfranchised
Posts: 14,144
60,000 wakadoos

Quote:
Originally posted by Secret_Agent_Man
Was this a run-on sentence? In any event, Hyde is a GOP Congressman (House) from Illinois.

S_A_M
More like not paying attention. I was confusing him with Byrd and wondering why the Ds were so happy about it.

You don't want to know the weird ways that my brain works.
__________________
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79

Last edited by Replaced_Texan; 04-19-2005 at 08:56 PM..
Replaced_Texan is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 10:29 PM   #3040
bilmore
Too Good For Post Numbers
 
bilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 65,535
So, tonight, Delay's in the news criticising Kennedy - no surprise there - for two things:

- looking to international law for support for his opinions (which I agree is inane); and

- doing legal research on the internet.




Huh?
bilmore is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #3041
Spanky
For what it's worth
 
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: With Thumper
Posts: 6,793
Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
So, tonight, Delay's in the news criticising Kennedy - no surprise there - for two things:

- looking to international law for support for his opinions (which I agree is inane); and

- doing legal research on the internet.
huh?
I have been in meetings for about seven days now about taking out Delay and four other incumbant Republicans. The project is is called revolt of the elders and is being headed by Pete McCloskey (former Congressman from my area and a former head of the California Republican League).


http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3136907

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/politics/15delay.html

http://www.poe-news.com/features.php?feat=44660

We have found candidates to run against Delay and Doolittle and are looking for a few more. I am about to become very unpopular in the Republican party. I guess, Delay plays hardball, so there will be an investigation of my life. Won't be the first. Some of you may be getting mysterious phone calls.

Last edited by Spanky; 04-19-2005 at 10:45 PM..
Spanky is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #3042
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)
 
Replaced_Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Romantically enfranchised
Posts: 14,144
Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
So, tonight, Delay's in the news criticising Kennedy - no surprise there - for two things:

- doing legal research on the internet.


Huh?
Ever since DeLay heard that Al Gore invented the internet, he's assumed it was unpatriotic to use it.
__________________
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 10:50 PM   #3043
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)
 
Replaced_Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Romantically enfranchised
Posts: 14,144
Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
I have been in meetings for about seven days now about taking out Delay and four other incumbant Republicans. The project is is called revolt of the elders and is being headed by Pete McCloskey (former Congressman from my area and a former head of the California Republican League).


http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3136907

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/politics/15delay.html

http://www.poe-news.com/features.php?feat=44660

We have found candidates to run against Delay and Doolittle and are looking for a few more. I am about to become very unpopular in the Republican party. I guess, Delay plays hardball, so there will be an investigation of my life. Won't be the first. Some of you may be getting mysterious phone calls.
Is Fjetland your guy? He's run against DeLay before. He's never done particularly well.

Here's an interview with him over at Off the Kuff when he ran last year as an independent.
__________________
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #3044
bilmore
Too Good For Post Numbers
 
bilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 65,535
Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
I have been in meetings for about seven days now about taking out Delay and four other incumbant Republicans. The project is is called revolt of the elders and is being headed by Pete McCloskey (former Congressman from my area and a former head of the California Republican League).
You know, if you look at the actual list of what he's done, it's not that bad - nothing more than you see in so many long-term pols of both stripes. Is his main drawback just that the D's hate him with such an ungodly passion that it's worthwhile to jettison him? Is losing such an effective whip a reasonable price to pay for what sort of looks like nothing more than giving up so things can move on?

The internet comment was stoopid. The trips were nothing more than what many others have done. The ethics accusations could be read either way, from what I can see, and the much-reviled change of ethics rules only made them mirror the Dem rules, if I remember correctly. Frankly, I'm not sure where the beef is here.

(ETA - I may well have these wrong - I've paid very little attention to the late chapters of Delay.)

Last edited by bilmore; 04-19-2005 at 10:58 PM..
bilmore is offline  
Old 04-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #3045
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)
 
Replaced_Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Romantically enfranchised
Posts: 14,144
Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
You know, if you look at the actual list of what he's done, it's not that bad - nothing more than you see in so many long-term pols of both stripes. Is his main drawback just that the D's hate him with such an ungodly passion that it's worthwhile to jettison him? Is losing such an effective whip a reasonable price to pay for what sort of looks like nothing more than giving up so things can move on?

The internet comment was stoopid. The trips were nothing more than what many others have done. The ethics accusations could be read either way, from what I can see, and the much-reviled change of ethics rules only made them mirror the Dem rules, if I remember correctly. Frankly, I'm not sure where the beef is here.

(ETA - I may well have these wrong - I've paid very little attention to the late chapters of Delay.)
My guess is that the biggest scandal that will kill him will the the Indian casino lobbying deal. Someone's going to end up rolling over on him. TRMPAC is the second biggest, since someone is going to go to jail over that and pretty much every single Republican in the state of Texas is involved in some way with that PAC.

I could give a shit about the trips and I'm actually a little sympathetic to the family payments. Professional spouses do not get nearly enough the credit for what they do. Also, I don't think that's a can of worms ANYONE wants to open. I foresee another one of those deals where half of Congress is having to pay back.

I'm pissed off as hell over the redistricting.

I'm pissed off as hell over the Terri Schiavo matter.

I'm pissed off as hell over comments about the judiciary.

The above three, I acknowledge, are partisan/personal reactions, though I know a LOT of Republicans who are pissed off about the middle one.

The thing about DeLay is, though, that his interaction with lobbyists and other money people is how he derives his power, so the ethics stuff regarding trips and coercing people to vote a certian way or else their son won't get support is important.
__________________
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 PM.