LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Ex-Lawyers

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 125
0 members and 125 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 PM   #31
paigowprincess

No annoying Google ads here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone
Thanks for showing up, Junkie. Your board is the only one I still occasionally follow on infirm. It would make my life easier if you could drag everybody over here.

As for me, just a wannabe ex-lawyer. Coming up fast on partnership, with all indications being it will happen very soon as long as I don't fuck up and kiss a little more ass. At the same time, my motivation is rEdiculously low. Just not too interested in anything I'm doing. And the goddam powerball didn't come through.
You are gonna be a partner? That makes the whole Georgia Peach fantasy go from the Wineries of South Oregon to Donald Trump buying Melania. Duuuude. I don't think a hip pair of cords is gonna save you. I am heartbroken.

I would like to be an exlawyer. Has anyone switched to being an FC at a finanical institution? How is the transition?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #32
paigowprincess

No annoying Google ads here.

Quote:
Originally posted by nytjunkie
Thanks. Of course I can't drag anyone anywhere, but I can lead by example.

I will say that, in my limited observation, having a partner title in hand opens up a whole new world of professional opportunities, but mostly on the legal (vs. non-legal) side. You get seriously considered for GC spots at all kinds of cool corporations, funds and organizations that you wouldn't have been offered otherwise. The reason to leave just before the partnership decision should be driven by your expectation of that decision, not whether you're all of a sudden sick of BIGLAW -- if you've made it that far and you think that odds are good, then hold out a bit longer and get something valuable to trade up or out with.
Huh? IS this Ex-lawyers or In-house lawyers?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #33
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
Originally posted by notcasesensitive
bnb, if you decide to go, pick up the guidebook for whatever island you choose called [Island name] Revealed. Burger gave me this tip before my first trip a few years ago and those guides are excellent. I have Maui Revealed and Big Island Revealed (though I didn't actually make the Big Island trip yet because I moved to LA last year instead). I'm pretty sure there is also a Kuaui Revealed, but not Oahu Revealed yet.
I totally agree on the books. My copy of notcasesensitive Revealed was extremely helpful because unless you're a regular visitor, you usually get ripped off. The Hank Revealed edition wasn't as helpful, it was mostly blank except for some crude drawings. I am looking forward to my copy of Fringey Revealed. I hear it's a two volume set.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #34
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?
Quote:

I am also available for Oahu tips, if needed.
I read this as "I am also available for Oahu trips, if needed."

And I was thinking, "Hell yeah. Let's go."
Old 10-21-2005, 03:01 PM   #35
Gattigap
Southern charmer

Quote:
Hana is a bit overdoing it on the remote thing wouldn't you say?
Yes, but I've noticed that some who don't like Maui complain about it having too many people, followed quickly by loving talk about, say, Kauai and the general absence of humanity.

Well, Hana has a hotel there, IIRC. You want remote, that's fuckin' remote.

Quote:
I was more into hiking in the crater than biking down it. The road to Hana was hyped a bit more than it was worth, I thought (though I saw the coolest place on all of Maui about an hour or two into the drive - huge pounding surf into tons of black volcanic rock) and one of my favorite things was a not-particularly-touristy hike through the lava fields on the south tip of the island.
The Road to Hana has some really cool spots on it, I agree. Hana is probably overhyped. I felt so, largely because by the time I arrived I was overpumped on adrenaline, from a constant fear over the prior several hours of falling off of a 4-foot-wide road into a deep cravasse.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #36
paigowprincess

Quote:
Originally posted by nononono
Who's good, then? I've had 2 people tell me Northwest sucks this week, and one who told me a horrible story about KLM in Europe (which is usually pretty good). Now we hate Southwest and US Air. Are any of them decent anymore (in addition to JetBlue, it sounds)?
Jet Blue is the Gold Standard. Too bad it flies from shit airports.

I recently flew three totally different United planes. First place was the old school, shitty plane with tiny coach seats made of itchy fabric, but with the new thing of paying five bucks for your disgusting meal. Then I connected through Chicago and got on a very swanky United Expressss, leather seats, tons of leg room. Verrry nice. Then I flew back on what is being called United PC or PS (the P is Premium). Again, huge leather seats, free meal, free wine. No DirectTv though which is key during a tennis tournatment. Why the different levels of planes and service on UA? No friggin clue.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #37
Gattigap
Southern charmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
I totally agree on the books. My copy of notcasesensitive Revealed was extremely helpful because unless you're a regular visitor, you usually get ripped off. The Hank Revealed edition wasn't as helpful, it was mostly blank except for some crude drawings. I am looking forward to my copy of Fringey Revealed. I hear it's a two volume set.
Was Hank Revealed a board book?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #38
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
Originally posted by Gattigap
Was Hank Revealed a board book?
Sadly, and fittingly, there was no interest.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #39
nytjunkie
No Rank For You!

Pick your poison.

Quote:
Originally posted by paigowprincess
Huh? IS this Ex-lawyers or In-house lawyers?
Anyone who makes it all the way to a partnership decision can't be hating life that bad. Most people figure out pretty quick that BIGLAW sucks and get the heck out of dodge, unless they need the money.

I'm a recovering lawyer. You're never really an "ex-".

The first step, of course, is admitting you're a lawyer, which can be quite painful depending on the setting.

and I'd much prefer to talk about airlines today, even if I'm grounded due to Junkie Jr. for at least a few months. Still a bit mad that Mrs. Junkie cancelled our trip to Japan when morning sickness got too bad, but it did turn out well in the end.

- NYT (getting Jr. a samurai sword to swing around the apartment) Junkie

Last edited by nytjunkie; 10-21-2005 at 03:15 PM..
nytjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #40
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally posted by bold_n_brazen
I read this as "I am also available for Oahu trips, if needed."

And I was thinking, "Hell yeah. Let's go."
Also those. I just need 5 hours advance notice and you are on notice that I will be flying American for the miles.
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #41
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Quote:
Gattigap
...a constant fear over the prior several hours of falling off of a 4-foot-wide road into a deep cravasse.
This is pretty accurate.

On the other hand, going 4 wheeling in a Jeep all over Lana'i is a hoot.
SlaveNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #42
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

Quote:
More legroom than United and I think everyone else
Aren't they in the process of eliminating the extra room on all of their planes? Or is it just on the shitty MD-80s they fly everywhere from Chicago?
Cletus Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:29 PM   #43
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cletus Miller
Aren't they in the process of eliminating the extra room on all of their planes? Or is it just on the shitty MD-80s they fly everywhere from Chicago?
I don't know. That would be a bummer. They increased the legroom right before 9/11 thinking they would force others to follow suit. Except that because of 9/11 the others didn't follow suit. Seems like decreasing back would be a PR disaster. I almost always fly in exit rows, so I haven't noticed any seats with less leg room, but I might not have been paying attention.

Stretch 80's do blow. Indeed.
notcasesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #44
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Airlines

Quote:
Originally posted by nononono
Who's good, then? I've had 2 people tell me Northwest sucks this week, and one who told me a horrible story about KLM in Europe (which is usually pretty good). Now we hate Southwest and US Air. Are any of them decent anymore (in addition to JetBlue, it sounds)?
The big Asian airlines (China, Singapore, Malaysia, Cathay Pacific, Thai) rock. It's like air travel in the '70s again, but the stews don't blow you, but damn, you want them too. Virgin Atlantic has some smokin' crews too. From some CNN article I found through Google:

1. Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong
2. Qantas Airways, Australia
3. Emirates, Dubai
4. Singapore Airlines, Singapore
5. British Airways, United Kingdom
6. Malaysia Airlines, Malaysia
7. Thai Airways, Thailand
8. Qatar Airways, Qatar
9. Asiana Airlines, South Korea
10. ANA All Nippon Airways, Japan
Old 10-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #45
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
As noted previously, I'm sure, all I fly is American (exception - Southwest LAX to Vegas - luckily I've managed to not be booked on the 5 hour late flights that I've seen there the times I've taken that route to date). I don't check bags, so I have no input on how they treat your stuff if you give it over to their possession, but I have really no complaints with the airline generally. Flights are rarely cancelled or rescheduled. More legroom than United and I think everyone else (and I travel frequently with a 6'4" person, so this is something that matters in my household). Generally pleasant and helpful flight attendant staff. Etc., etc. I book online and they have NEVER changed my seat assignment on me and they make exit rows available online. Their website is fairly user-friendly.

In fact my only gripes with them are as follows:

- they drove Legend Airlines out of business (was to be a all-business-class airline out of Love Field in Dallas)
- they drive prices up on flights into and out of Dallas generally (damn monopoly)
- they don't do nearly as many non-stops from LAX as they did from DFW (damn non-hub)

I fully understand that gripe number 2 and gripe number 3 are in contradiction with one anouther and I'm fine with that. I'm channeling Sebby here.
Until very recently, due to hub location, convenience and the fact that most of my flights were back and forth to California, I almost exclusively flew Continental. I can't remember ever having a problem with them. Ever.

I've accumulated quite a number of points on Southwest in the last few months, and I haven't had a single problem. The only minor inconvenience was getting to the airport early, asking to get on an earlier flight and being told that my obscenely cheap internet fare precluded me from switching flights without a charge.

And watching Hummers bonk their heads in the Hobby garage has been totally worth it.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote