LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 128
0 members and 128 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #4951
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Come for the puns, stay for the apiology (and just a nice smackdown of the worst type of class-action Plaintiffs' attorneys) - https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datasto...5/19-16618.pdf
Old 07-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #4952
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Come for the puns, stay for the apiology (and just a nice smackdown of the worst type of class-action Plaintiffs' attorneys) - https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datasto...5/19-16618.pdf
"Indeed, these guidelines account for the fact that busy bees cannot be prevented from foraging on different types of flowers, despite their keepers’ best efforts.
"
Wait, so does that mean that every chicken product is mislabled because it doesn't say "part chicken shit?"

CLASS ACTION BABY! Retirement here I come!

Next they're gonna tell me Tony the Tiger isn't real.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 07-22-2021 at 08:52 PM..
Old 07-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #4953
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
"Indeed, these guidelines account for the fact that busy bees cannot be prevented from foraging on different types of flowers, despite their keepers’ best efforts.
"
Wait, so does that mean that every chicken product is mislabled because it doesn't say "part chicken shit?"

CLASS ACTION BABY! Retirement here I come!

Next they're gonna tell me Tony the Tiger isn't real.
Too late - https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...t-all/1859009/
Old 07-31-2021, 11:01 PM   #4954
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot Ty, hitting close to home?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #4955
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Just popping in to say that if Republicans weren't still so terrible, this whole eviction moratorium thing is exactly the kind of thing that would drive me back to them.

"We did this illegal thing because it will take the courts some time to work it out and declare it illegal" is not a good look.

Last edited by SEC_Chick; 08-06-2021 at 10:32 AM..
Old 08-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #4956
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Just popping in to say that if Republicans weren't still so terrible, this whole eviction moratorium thing is exactly the kind of thing that would drive me back to them.

"We did this illegal thing because it will take the courts some time to work it out and declare it illegal" is not a good look.
The CDC moratorium isn't as effective as people think it is in re: landlords. Even during the pandemic, a landlord could simply allow leases to end, refuse to renew, and then file an ejectment against the prior tenant/now squatter. Some courts read the original moratorium as barring ejectment, but many (most here) did not.

I think the intention of these CDC edicts is to freak out lenders and servicers. Unlike most small to mid-sized landlords, the servicers and lenders are targets for class actions. The big servicers are still freezing efforts to eject people for fear of being sued despite the courts allowing cases to go forward. Servicers are asking for continuances of foreclosure proceedings and sales.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-06-2021 at 11:45 AM..
Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #4957
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

Haven't followed it, but I don't understand how the federal government could have the power to impose an eviction moratorium.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #4958
Icky Thump

Quote:

Sorry, I am the one stupid fuck that paid his mortgage on time the last 17 months.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #4959
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:

I haven't followed this one much at all, other than hearing what a particular bank attorney I married has to say about it, but didn't it survive a Supreme Court challenge just last month?

And isn't the idea of doing blatantly unconstitutional stuff just to muck up the works until it gets overturned basically the Republicans strategy for the last twenty years ? I mean, how many unconstitutional laws on just civil rights and abortion have been passed by the fucking republicans? I really haven't counted since my bingo card got completely filled, all 25 squares, during the Reagan administration.

I'm thinking you're not someone to complain about that shit.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #4960
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I haven't followed this one much at all, other than hearing what a particular bank attorney I married has to say about it, but didn't it survive a Supreme Court challenge just last month?

And isn't the idea of doing blatantly unconstitutional stuff just to muck up the works until it gets overturned basically the Republicans strategy for the last twenty years ? I mean, how many unconstitutional laws on just civil rights and abortion have been passed by the fucking republicans? I really haven't counted since my bingo card got completely filled, all 25 squares, during the Reagan administration.

I'm thinking you're not someone to complain about that shit.
I don't think your post is fair to SEC Chick. It's not like she was defending everything Republicans have done since 1980.

It seems to me that there's a big difference between a President who is told that there are constitutional problems with what s/he wants to do and presses ahead *but* also respects the courts when they say no man, and a President (like Trump) who undermines judicial review and the rule of law. (SEC Chick has been pretty clear in her repugnance for Trump.)

Still don't understand how the federal government has the authority to do anything about evictions on this scale.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 08-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #4961
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Still don't understand how the federal government has the authority to do anything about evictions on this scale.
I think there was a decision on it last month. I believe the CDC was responsible for the regulation.

But I haven't read or focused on this. Feds can do an awful lot when it comes to commerce during an emergency.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #4962
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I think there was a decision on it last month. I believe the CDC was responsible for the regulation.

But I haven't read or focused on this. Feds can do an awful lot when it comes to commerce during an emergency.
Let's assume that Congress passed a law that gives the CDC the power to do whatever it did. What enumerated power gives Congress the power to interfere in residential real estate leases across the country? If anything is not in interstate commerce, it's that. Definitionally, real estate is not moving across state borders.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:44 PM   #4963
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Let's assume that Congress passed a law that gives the CDC the power to do whatever it did. What enumerated power gives Congress the power to interfere in residential real estate leases across the country? If anything is not in interstate commerce, it's that. Definitionally, real estate is not moving across state borders.
Well, you know, there's this pandemic and it has a huge impact on just about everything and keeping people in homes seems to be a part of containing it.

(reads some of the actual arguments)

OK, damn, this is strong stuff, maybe you're right. What is really convincing me is the third amendment argument. https://twitter.com/EthanBWinter/sta...003120640?s=20
Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #4964
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/polit...hip/index.html
Old 08-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #4965
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
On how Biden and his cohort fucked up the optics - https://www.lawfareblog.com/anatomy-...oratorium-saga