LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Tailgate Party

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 165
0 members and 165 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Hockey Playoffs

Because I can no longer stand looking at the FB, and since only 5 of us care about hockey anyway, I've started this thread.

Here is my prediction:

Leetch (Leafs) - Barnaby (Avs) final

Please discuss.
SlaveNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Not Bob

Hockey Playoffs

Quote:
Originally posted by SlaveNoMore
Because I can no longer stand looking at the FB, and since only 5 of us care about hockey anyway, I've started this thread.

Here is my prediction:

Please discuss.
Love the new avatar, by the way.

In the West, I think that if Detroit can get past Nashville, they go to the finals. Or maybe the Sharks. In the East, I think that the Leafs coast in.

That being said, I have been wrong wrong wrong so far.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:51 AM   #3
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Hockey Playoffs

Quote:
Originally posted by Not Bob
Love the new avatar, by the way.

In the West, I think that if Detroit can get past Nashville, they go to the finals. Or maybe the Sharks. In the East, I think that the Leafs coast in.

That being said, I have been wrong wrong wrong so far.
The Wings biggest weakness over the last 10 years is that they do not right themselves once shaken in a playoff series. I don't know that they'll go too far this year.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
soup sandwich
usually superfluous

Hockey Playoffs

Big game tonight for Philly and NJ. An NJ loss and they have the 3-1 hole (not they haven't come back from that deficit before against the Flyers). An NJ win, and they have their mojo back. So, whoever wins tonight will take the series.

Last year, to reach the finals, the Flyers would have had to get through Toronto, Ottawa, and NJ. Impossible.

This year if they get by NJ (a big if), they'll likely get Boston and then TB/Toronto/Ottawa. I like this path to the finals much better.

Poll: What was the best hockey game you've ever attended? Watched on TV (aside from the 1980 US vs USSR game)?

Attended: 1987 Stanley Cup Finals. Phila vs Edmonton. Flyers go down 3-0 early against Gretzky, Messier, Tikkanen, Kurri, Fuhr, et al. Hextall gets his head out of his ass and the Flyers come back to win 5-3.

Watched on TV: 1976 Soviet Red Army vs the Flyers. The USSR would lose only two games on their North American tour. Without Parent in net, the Flyers dispatch the Soviets 2-0. After dealing with two periods of rough Flyers play, the Soviets refuse to return to the ice after the 2nd intermission. After explaining the concept of "no play, no pay" to the Soviets, Ed Snider convinces the Red Army to return to the ice. Fucking russians.
soup sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:03 AM   #5
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Hockey Playoffs

Quote:

Here is my prediction:

Please discuss.
I'm so powerful that if I make a prediction, that team loses, so I'm not predicting anything for the Leafs this year. I'm just praying that Belfour stays healthy. (please! It's not like I ask for much)

On a related note, Brian Leetch's godmother was my temporary secretary the other day. I was exceptionally nice to her but unfortunately she did not give me any playoff tickets.
greatwhitenorthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

My Blues are in for the 25th straight year and about to go out for the 25th straight year, so after that I could really care less...

That said, I like the Avs and the winner of the Philly/NJ series for the Finals (though Toronto has the talent and goaltending to get there as well).
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
str8outavannuys
I am beyond a rank!

Come on people

Can we stop picking the Leafs? It's bad ju-ju. I'm picking the winner of the Canucks/Flames series to win it all. I also think that the Red Wings are potentially in big trouble. Vokoun has been a capital-s-stud for awhile now, and people are just starting to notice.

It's really really wide open. Hot goaltending will make the difference, but hot goaltending includes very solid low-mistake team defense.

I actually think the Bruins are a very legit threat to win it all, though the way they beat the Habs last night was tragi-comic. I can see why you NY-ers had a hate-love-hate relationship with Kovalev.
str8outavannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Hockey Playoffs

Quote:
greatwhitenorthchick
I'm so powerful that if I make a prediction, that team loses, so I'm not predicting anything for the Leafs this year. I'm just praying that Belfour stays healthy. (please! It's not like I ask for much)

On a related note, Brian Leetch's godmother was my temporary secretary the other day. I was exceptionally nice to her but unfortunately she did not give me any playoff tickets.
Did she at least buy you a beer?

As I think I've told you before, Leetch married the daughter of the owner of a local tavern about 5 blocks from where I grew up.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Come on people

Quote:
Originally posted by str8outavannuys
Can we stop picking the Leafs? It's bad ju-ju. I'm picking the winner of the Canucks/Flames series to win it all. I also think that the Red Wings are potentially in big trouble. Vokoun has been a capital-s-stud for awhile now, and people are just starting to notice.

It's really really wide open. Hot goaltending will make the difference, but hot goaltending includes very solid low-mistake team defense.

I actually think the Bruins are a very legit threat to win it all, though the way they beat the Habs last night was tragi-comic. I can see why you NY-ers had a hate-love-hate relationship with Kovalev.
For most of my friends, its hate-hate-hate. I would have loved to hear Cherry's comment on his giving up the GWer because he was faking a slash.

As for the Leafs - I don't actually think they can win, they are just my sentimental RIE (Rangers in Exile) pick.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Come on people

Quote:
For most of my friends, its hate-hate-hate. I would have loved to hear Cherry's comment on his giving up the GWer because he was faking a slash.
Are you still getting the Canadian games? Cherry was doing a number on Ribeiro when I got home the other night.

For some reason, our center ice package is giving us Nunavut tv for the Canadian games. Which means many of the commercials are in Inuktituk. Very educational.
greatwhitenorthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:21 PM   #11
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Come on people

Quote:
greatwhitenorthchick
Are you still getting the Canadian games? Cherry was doing a number on Ribeiro when I got home the other night.

For some reason, our center ice package is giving us Nunavut tv for the Canadian games. Which means many of the commercials are in Inuktituk. Very educational.
Getting the CBC for some - not sure who was doing the Calgary game last night.

The commercials crack me up. Had no idea you had beers other than "Canadian" and "Blue"
Old 04-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #12
Not Bob

Come on people

Quote:
As for the Leafs - I don't actually think they can win, they are just my sentimental RIE (Rangers in Exile) pick.
I disagree -- they can win it if Belfour's back can hold out. The Nieuwendyk Factor (new Leaf Joe, who won Cups in Dallas and NJ) suggests that this is their year.

In other news, I am actually feeling sympathy for the Devils. Poor Puddy and his face paint.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:56 PM   #13
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Hi Koo!

Leafs falling apart
And the team of Potvin sucks
Devils to play golf?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #14
Not Bob

Hi Koo!

Quote:
Leafs falling apart
And the team of Potvin sucks
Devils to play golf?
Red Necks, not Red Wings
Sharks feast on St. Louis Blues
Flames or 'nucks? Who cares.

You bastard. Now I've just screwed the poor souls in Nashville. Vince Gill and Amy Grant will never forgive me.

And I admit that my "sympathy for the Devils" line was brilliant, but it was unintentionally so. But that doesn't detract from my brilliance -- heck, even Tiger gets a lucky cart-path bounce every now and then, right?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:43 PM   #15
SlaveNoMore
Consigliere

Hi Koo!

Quote:
Not Bob
Red Necks, not Red Wings
Sharks feast on St. Louis Blues
Flames or 'nucks? Who cares.
Flames or 'nucks? Who cares?
Steven Moore's lawyers! That's who!!!
When Bertuzzi sued

I have no idea about your Sympathy comment, but I'm praying for a bus crash on I-95 when the Bullies of Broad Street send the Devs a'packin'