LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 219
0 members and 219 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #4051
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Would love to put money on this with you. What's the wager here?
You mean, say, $100.00 that this is the last mob attack on a Capitol (state or fed) before January 20?

ETA: I think the FB and Twitter bans through January 20 may cut an essential communication line between him and his followers, and they take him out of the media a bit, which makes him less interesting.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #4052
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
You mean, say, $100.00 that this is the last mob attack on a Capitol (state or fed) before January 20?
I'm sorry, I thought you were making a broader prediction about Trump supporters.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #4053
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
I still don't fear Donald Trump. He's too dumb to fear.
That’s really fucking great to hear that you are feeling secure, because I was so worried. And I’m delighted you took this opportunity to once again refocus us the real problems facing us, like the over-policing of racist speech (mainly on social media or in obscure academic and journalistic circles). But while you continue to alternate between defending Trump (“He’s not so bad, just look at the favorable tax treatment I got on my REITs!”) and relentlessly minimizing the damage he is doing (“He hasn’t committed mass genocide, so why is everyone’s hair on fire?”), one of his supporters gave a violent speech at our State Capitol Building yesterday announcing that they would be tracking down judges in their homes and not allowing them to hide behind their benches any more. This is concerning to me in part because, when an authoritarian head of state encourages his supporters to behave violently against judges that dare to cross him, this undermines the independence of the judiciary, destabilizes the checks and balances of our democracy, and takes us yet another step closer to becoming a pathetic joke of a country. It is also concerning to me because my wife is a judge on our state court of appeals, and has recently heard election-related cases brought by Trump supporters. So I got to spend part of my day reassuring my daughter that deranged Trump supporters were not going to violently attack us in our home (while secretly wondering whether it was time to pick up an AR-15). I realize that you don’t give a shit about this at all because you are incapable of caring about anything that does not immediately and directly affect you, but it was a pretty tense day over here.

I am not sorry.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #4054
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Re: May it please the court...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
That’s really fucking great to hear that you are feeling secure, because I was so worried. And I’m delighted you took this opportunity to once again refocus us the real problems facing us, like the over-policing of racist speech (mainly on social media or in obscure academic and journalistic circles). But while you continue to alternate between defending Trump (“He’s not so bad, just look at the favorable tax treatment I got on my REITs!”) and relentlessly minimizing the damage he is doing (“He hasn’t committed mass genocide, so why is everyone’s hair on fire?”), one of his supporters gave a violent speech at our State Capitol Building yesterday announcing that they would be tracking down judges in their homes and not allowing them to hide behind their benches any more. This is concerning to me in part because, when an authoritarian head of state encourages his supporters to behave violently against judges that dare to cross him, this undermines the independence of the judiciary, destabilizes the checks and balances of our democracy, and takes us yet another step closer to becoming a pathetic joke of a country. It is also concerning to me because my wife is a judge on our state court of appeals, and has recently heard election-related cases brought by Trump supporters. So I got to spend part of my day reassuring my daughter that deranged Trump supporters were not going to violently attack us in our home (while secretly wondering whether it was time to pick up an AR-15). I realize that you don’t give a shit about this at all because you are incapable of caring about anything that does not immediately and directly affect you, but it was a pretty tense day over here.
That sucks. But it has me wondering if you ever role play, you know, with the robes and gavel and all?

(also, shotgun is much better for home defense).
Old 01-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #4055
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

ETA: I think the FB and Twitter bans through January 20 may cut an essential communication line between him and his followers, and they take him out of the media a bit, which makes him less interesting.
This one was planned for weeks. The next one is planned for January 19.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 01-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #4056
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I'm sorry, I thought you were making a broader prediction about Trump supporters.
I was, but how would we measure whether Trumpism fades away? I couldn't come up with useful metrics.

I think he will fade away because one of his close advisers will convey this message from the Biden camp: "Go away and shut up and we won't get behind any push to have your ass thrown in jail. Keep fucking around while we're in office and we'll let the dogs lose on you."

But I'm assuming he's still somewhat transactional. The counter to that kid of behind-the-scenes deal being made would be that Trump is completely out of reality, fully insane. I think that could be true.

Or he could also be escalating his crazy behavior to try to make himself too big and powerful to prosecute. That's technically rational, but a very risky course of action.

He's going to have a hard time finding oxygen to keep his flame alive with FB and Twitter banning him indefinitely. Maybe he'll go to Parler and OANN and be followed by a few million screwballs.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #4057
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
This one was planned for weeks. The next one is planned for January 19.
I don't see that next one coming to fruition.

Given that orange asshole just cost me money in GA, I'd support federal troops going Kent State on the next MAGA crowd to try to pull that crap.

That's what's so infuriating about Trump. He had the chance to go out a sort of a winner. He could have behaved and not attacked GA, not encouraged Rs not to vote, and galvanized Ds to vote. And then we'd have split govt.

But no... If Donald can't win, none of us are allowed to win. Particularly we moderates who were thrilled with split govt.

I think the selfish prick wanted to turn GA blue. He wanted to bring it all down on top of him. Punish the moderate Rs in the suburbs who weren't really with him. Set up Biden to have to deal with the lunatic progressives squabbling with the moderates instead of presiding over a sane, sober administration in which deals might've been possible and Biden could shut down the extreme left by blaming all failures to enact crazy policies on McConnell's obstructionism.

Go to hell, Donald. May they indict you and bankrupt you until you live in a box under a bridge.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #4058
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Ice?
I've probably fallen 10 times in my life. 5 ice, 5 uneven pavement. Ice is usually not a bad fall as I fall backward. Might bruise my back a bit, but not so bad. Uneven pavement is forward fall.

I was running along a street that was too busy to run in. But it was cool as there was street lawn separating the sidewalk from the road. So when I am about to pass someone I move onto the grass. But there is about a 10 yard distance where the street lawn goes away; the road gets bigger for a left turn lane for that distance. As I coming up to it two women were walking towards me, along side each other but at opposite ends of the sidewalk. As I was approaching them I started to gesture they should move closer so I could pass. They wouldn't.

I should have just stopped for a few seconds until they passed, but I panicked. I looked over my shoulder to see if I could safely step into the street. I somehow got to having my foot half on the curb, have hanging off. I tripped face first smashing my jaw on the street. For 6 weeks I could not eat without pain from my injured jaw. 12 stitches to cut on chin.

I can't believe how dumb I was. I had already ran more than the distance I was planning on running. I should have just stopped.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #4059
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I've probably fallen 10 times in my life. 5 ice, 5 uneven pavement. Ice is usually not a bad fall as I fall backward. Might bruise my back a bit, but not so bad. Uneven pavement is forward fall.

I was running along a street that was too busy to run in. But it was cool as there was street lawn separating the sidewalk from the road. So when I am about to pass someone I move onto the grass. But there is about a 10 yard distance where the street lawn goes away; the road gets bigger for a left turn lane for that distance. As I coming up to it two women were walking towards me, along side each other but at opposite ends of the sidewalk. As I was approaching them I started to gesture they should move closer so I could pass. They wouldn't.

I should have just stopped for a few seconds until they passed, but I panicked. I looked over my shoulder to see if I could safely step into the street. I somehow got to having my foot half on the curb, have hanging off. I tripped face first smashing my jaw on the street. For 6 weeks I could not eat without pain from my injured jaw. 12 stitches to cut on chin.

I can't believe how dumb I was. I had already ran more than the distance I was planning on running. I should have just stopped.
Smashed your jaw on the street? Jesus, that has to hurt. On the bright side, with your face, a few scars probably could only improve matters.

I am not sorry.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #4060
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone View Post
That sucks. But it has me wondering if you ever role play, you know, with the robes and gavel and all?

Shotgun, eh? I think I can pick up one of those around here at the local convenience stores.

As for your robe-and-gavel fetish, what happens in chambers stays in chambers.

I am not sorry.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #4061
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone View Post

Lead pipe.

But why not just a pellet gun (the CO2 pistols)? It looks like a real gun (so it can intimidate), and those things fucking hurt. I think shooting an intruder in the face with a rapid-fire pellet gun would convince him to leave.* Added bonus is that your kids can't kill themselves or anyone else with a pellet gun.

*if the intruder is intruding with a gun for the sole purpose of killing you...well you're fucked no matter what (if you safely store your real gun).

Full disclosure: I do not has gun. I do has a lead pipe. It looks like the one in Clue.

Last edited by Did you just call me Coltrane?; 01-07-2021 at 03:02 PM..
Old 01-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #4062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

Jesus. Be careful, dude.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #4063
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Lead pipe.

But why not just a pellet gun (the CO2 pistols)? It looks like a real gun (so it can intimidate), and those things fucking hurt. I think shooting an intruder in the face with a rapid-fire pellet gun would convince him to leave.* Added bonus is that your kids can't kill themselves or anyone else with a pellet gun.

*if the intruder is intruding with a gun for the sole purpose of killing you...well you're fucked no matter what (if you safely store your real gun).

Full disclosure: I do not has gun. I do have a lead pipe. It looks like the one in Clue.
Pellet gun? I start with an assault rifle, get talked down to a shotgun, and now you want me to get a pellet gun? Pretty soon you’re going to tell me that the best defense is a Super Soaker, or maybe a stick painted to look like a gun. The Trump motherfuckers are armed to the teeth. I’m mounting an M2 Browning on the deck.

I am not sorry.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #4064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Pellet gun? I start with an assault rifle, get talked down to a shotgun, and now you want me to get a pellet gun? Pretty soon you’re going to tell me that the best defense is a Super Soaker, or maybe a stick painted to look like a gun. The Trump motherfuckers are armed to the teeth. I’m mounting an M2 Browning on the deck.
I'm going the opposite - using only slappers like in Goldeneye on Nintendo64.

ETA: It's not a real pellet gun. More of a glorified version of one. Feels so manly when armed.

Last edited by Did you just call me Coltrane?; 01-07-2021 at 04:04 PM..
Old 01-07-2021, 04:17 PM   #4065
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I was, but how would we measure whether Trumpism fades away? I couldn't come up with useful metrics.
There is a substantial conservative fringe in this country, and it supports Trump. It birthed the Tea Party a dozen years ago, Newt Gingrich tapped into years ago, and Pynchon was describing it fifty-five years ago when he invented the Peter Pinguid Society in The Crying of Lot 49. Its form changes -- today, Trump is highly sympathetic to Russia, so his supporters, if working quite so hard to do Russia's bidding, at the very least know to scoff at other people's concerns about Russia, something that has flipped 180 degrees since 1965. One key to it is the constant one-upsmanship, the belief that the right has been complacent and co-opted and needs to be disrupted. The counter-revolution keeps devouring its young.

If you want to pretend that yesterday was just about Trump, and that whatever comes next is something completely different, go ahead. Yesterday's mob were not asking for lower tax rates and less red tape for small businesses.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Closed Thread